Archive through August 06, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through August 06, 2012
By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 07:59 pm: Edit

Mark up another case of me not paying enough attention to the Roms. I hadn't realized that the SP was going from (8) to (8H) in contradiction to the general Heavy Fighter rule in AO/FO.

Where is the SFB SSD for the SPV? We've got a carrier converting from 16 fighters to six heavy fighters (12 boxes), with no other changes. Does the V module just turn them to hull or tractors or something? The U module at least is mounting special sensors in there.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Thursday, May 24, 2012 - 11:23 pm: Edit

I don't know. It's something that needs to be looked at in the SIT as the SIT isn't right either. Once I get the SSD, sometime around the time I get CL#45 I should have a better idea.

By John Robinson (John_R) on Friday, May 25, 2012 - 03:11 pm: Edit

I know how to simplify Romulan carriers. Just get rid of them!

By Stewart W Frazier (Frazikar2) on Friday, May 25, 2012 - 08:17 pm: Edit

AFAIK, there is no SPV SSD, it's supposed to be a SPB that exchanges 12 fighters for 6 heavy fighters [(8H2) if a full exchange is done) but...

By Garth L. Getgen (Sgt_G) on Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 04:11 pm: Edit

Okay, I just downloaded and installed Vassal onto my new computer (I-3 w/4-ggi RAM and Windows-7 32-bit). I downloaded the F&E zip file, but what do I do with it? I was looking up topic and did not see installation instructions (I probably just missed them). Thanks!!

Garth L. Getgen

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, July 25, 2012 - 05:19 pm: Edit

Un-zip the file to a convenient place (a folder where the files can be left undisturbed). The zip contains a html file that gives basic instructions on what to do. However, it basically comes down to: start Vassal, select 'open module' and point it at the *.vmod file from the zip. From there, it's probably best to select 'start new game offline' and then select the setup for The Wind from the dropdown as a way to get going.

Vassal should also have included a 'tour.mod' file with its install. You might want to go through that to get an introduction to Vassal.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, July 30, 2012 - 10:28 pm: Edit

New module up!

Version 1.3.1 7/29/12

Change Log:
-Fixed GCEs (copy and delete commands)
-Added R-NHBH and R-FHBH
-Improved Empire reporting on H- & L-shipyards; F-Fighter chits
-Overlays no longer report in the unit summaries
-Updated (603.U) setup to eliminate some minor errors
-Re-worked Battle Mats to have space for BIR/DRMs for each side
-Added CPF and CPX chits to all empires (except Feds)
-Fixed L-Base Module (not reporting fighter factors correctly)
-Fixed stats on L-PF marker
-Fixed F-, K-, R-, Z-, H-MC (no fighter property)
-Fixed T-Base Module art
-Fixed R-4CNV (bad fighter reporting)

This fixes the independent GCE problem and a few other problems, and satisfies user requests for CPF and CPX markers. Also, just about all the saved files have been updated to take advantage of the improvements.

Also, this may very well be the last version of this module. Stay tuned for further announcements about that (may be a couple weeks).

By Garth L. Getgen (Sgt_G) on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 06:40 am: Edit

I have the previous version and messed around with it for maybe a half-hour. I didn't see any Orion counters. Are they in there and I just didn't see them?

Garth L. Getgen

By craig grinnell (Mauler) on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 10:35 am: Edit

I'm actually having somewhat better success with vassal than i did with cyberboard, but i have a question. Just one so far...

Does the vassal module include a "rulebook" or manual covering the module specifics... such as how things work or what this or that is for?
By rulebook, I'm not referring to the F&E rules, just the module rules.

I'm also looking for a "NON expansion" version of the module. I only have basic F&E and am very content with that.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 11:45 am: Edit

Garth, if you look at the html file I pointed you at last time, you will find the Orions are included in two extensions of the main module. Expand the module listing in the module manager, and activate either "Pirates", which has all the Orion ships, or "Enclave" which has the extras to use the optional Orion Enclave rules in PO (and more).

Craig, if you go to the help menu in the module you'll find the "User Manual", which has a guide to some of the things in the module. I don't have everything in there, and you'll have to explore around some, but what there is is in there.

I'm afraid there's no stripped-down version of the module. I've offered it once or twice in the past, but it's a pain to keep two parallel versions current, so I stopped. Just delete the extra ships in the setups (they're marked), and try not to be tempted by all the extra options in the counter menus. ;)

By craig grinnell (Mauler) on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 12:43 pm: Edit

Thanks Mr Lowry.
oh, been kinda following you BGG game...
Very sad day for the coalition...
hope they make good use of the Romulans.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 02:02 pm: Edit

What Will the Romulans Do? Is the big question of our main game at the moment, and we're a turn away from finding out. One real possibility is for them to go to Peace for a couple turns to get a better exhaustion clock (and a few more heavy hulls before going to war), and see if the Feds go to War first (locking the Gorns out).

By craig grinnell (Mauler) on Tuesday, July 31, 2012 - 04:25 pm: Edit

F&E rules lend itself well to a "von clauswitz" theory of war. Dont bog down trying to take cities (planets) but absorb the countryside (empty space) and isolate fighting enclaves.
Destroy the enemy's ability to make war, and you win.
Just my unsolicited thought.
:)

By Garth L. Getgen (Sgt_G) on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 02:59 am: Edit

James, what's the trick to open those? I get an error saying "Invalid Import File".

Garth L. Getgen

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 05:16 am: Edit

James, as always, you are a legend !

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 01:23 pm: Edit

Garth, "to open those" what? The zip package, the html file?

Wait... the extensions (*.mdx)? The html file should tell you what to do:

"The zip also includes a number of extensions which add optional counters and the like. These are mostly for unpublished ships, but the ISC War materials are contained in the ISC.mdx file. These need to to be in a sub-folder of where the main F&E.mod file is. The folder name needs to be the same as the file name (without extension) of the F&E.mod file with '_ext' added to the end (e.g., "F&E 1.2_ext"), which the zip file should already have for you. If you keep the folder structure intact while unzipping, they'll be in an 'inactive' folder. The main Vassal interface should find them, and display them greyed out when the module is expanded in the Module Manager. Right-click on an extension and select 'Activate' to load an extension with the main module."

By Garth L. Getgen (Sgt_G) on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 02:50 pm: Edit

Okay, what I was missing was how to expand the module to display the list of extentions. I was trying to Open / Import the extention itself.

It's not called a Module Manager, but rather the Module Library, so I was looking at all the menus for the Manager. Not finding it, I was trying the Import option.

As I said, I haven't had much time to toy with it, so the interface still seems clunky to me.

One thing I have noticed that I want to change is I want to get rid of is all the group counters. When I play with cardboard, I never use the 3CL or 3FF counters if I can avoid them. Why on Earth would I want to use them electronically?????

Garth L. Getgen

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 03:39 pm: Edit

The entire window that Vassal starts up with is the Module Manager, the Library is a part of that. (Not the clearest thing ever, but I'm used to listening in on the developer discussions. :P)

Squadron counters are used for the usual reasons: convenience, and to save space. Especially while pulling counters. Select any squadron or carrier group counter and hit 'Control-B' to break them up into the correct individual units (this, like anything else, is in the right-click menu, feel free to play around).

By craig grinnell (Mauler) on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 05:13 pm: Edit

The module doesn't keep track of info like income does it?
I'm so hoping I can get good use out of vassal because I don't have the space to play otherwise.
And do i need to use printed production schedules from the physical game or is there a virtual one that I'm missing?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 06:36 pm: Edit

No, incorporating a spreadsheet into Vassal would be a lot of work (and involved custom coding). Just count it up like normal. (Note to self: look into having the module calculate income for the not-quite-mythical 2.0 module.)

There's a simple production spreadsheet in the files section here:
http://starfleetgames.com/sfb/sfin/FnE_Economics_Form_v1.1.xls

There are more complicated ones that many people (myself included) have developed for their own use/preferences. If you ask on the general discussions thread, you can probably get a half dozen different forms sent your way.

The production schedule for basic F&E is best taken directly from the 2010 rules, either physical or PDF, but the 'F&E OOB Discussion and Reports' thread contains a PDF with a schedule that is current through all the expansions (not including the post-war ISC War materials).

By Jason Langdon (Jaspar) on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 06:43 pm: Edit

"There are more complicated ones that many people (myself included) have developed for their own use/preferences. If you ask on the general discussions thread, you can probably get a half dozen different forms sent your way."

This is what I did, then I picked the one I liked the best.

"The production schedule for basic F&E is best taken directly from the 2010 rules, either physical or PDF, but the 'F&E OOB Discussion and Reports' thread contains a PDF with a schedule that is current through all the expansions (not including the post-war ISC War materials)."

I checked last night and it is current to 2009. Couldnt see a newer one, though I did see that there is a brand new version being worked on, so hopefully that will be out soon.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 06:56 pm: Edit

Currently the 2009 Order of Battle is the current Order of Battle.

If a new one with minor corrections is published it won't be until after Captain's Log #45 is published.

By craig grinnell (Mauler) on Wednesday, August 01, 2012 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Thanks a bunch. :-)

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 12:18 am: Edit

James,

Thanks for the ÇPF and CPX counters.

I noticed you created new FHBH and NHBH counters. I am baffled that you gave them 8h2 ftrs instead of just 8H. Is this a ruling somewhere? The way I see it the Romulan can turn FHB and NHB to "H" ftrs for free since they already have 8 regular fighters of which they can't use 2. The way you have the counters, they have to pay 4 for 2 more ftrs and then *still* have 2 useless fighters they paid for that they can't use. Again, was this a ruling or a mistake?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 02:45 am: Edit

Neither. It's the rules:

(530.221) CA-based carriers (CVS, BCV): one squadron of heavy fighters replaces one squadron of standard fighters, increasing the ship to 8 fighter factors. (Note that this would change a CVD to the 8H6 (two squadron) configuration.)

By that principle, a carrier with one squadron +2 fighters should then have one heavy squadron +2 fighters. The published SPV is the odd one out by that rule (which maybe should be the way it should be, but no one seemed willing to make any kind of ruling when it came up earlier).

Still not horribly useful, but it still increases working density by two points, and the normal fighters can be transferred to other carriers.

Worse, a standard HvFighter conversion is just four points for the factors, but the Romulan SIT currently says the SPV spends 1+4 for a module switch and extra fighter factors it doesn't even get. (Just noticed that; *that* really need to go to SIT review.)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation