Archive through August 08, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E Cyberboard Development: Archive through August 08, 2012
By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 01:47 am: Edit

Thanks Lar.

What I'm trying to do is put each Orion Cartel on the F&E map. As in, the hexes that each Cartel has as its territory. During the campaign, during the Orion turn, I expect that the territories will ebb and flow based on some Orion house rules that I have for F&E. Therefore, instead of modifying the MAP, I believe that using markers would be better. Just a blue one with either a single white letter, or a pair of white letters to signify the particular Cartel.

I'd also like some Jindarian markers and monster markers.

Thank you.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 06:22 am: Edit

The monsters and jindarians are in the gamebox in the marker groups under monsters. Note that some of the monsters values may be incorrect as they are not "official" pieces but rather values created by the EB gang for use in the EB scenario.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 09:06 am: Edit

Send me an email and I will send you a .jpeg of what I came up with.

my email is
my last name DOT my first name @gmail.com

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Tuesday, October 18, 2011 - 07:41 pm: Edit

@Turtle - good catch! I didn't notice that.

@Lar - sent.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Friday, December 09, 2011 - 06:39 pm: Edit

Note the cyberboard gamebox contains a number of unofficial pieces, including monsters, and Orion bases. the factors on these pieces are the best guess of the creators of the various scenarios and not anything official from ADB.

This is part of the fun of F&E and cyberboard. Even the Peladine, and Paravians have a number of "unofficial" pieces in the gamebox to give you more options and even some balance.

The cool thing is the LDR gets a counter or several for thing like a LDR Battleship.

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 05:03 am: Edit

Yes, I am very impressed with all the work that went into Cyberboard. It makes it WAY easier to have a campaign game with remote players. And the map is jaw dropping outstanding.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Saturday, December 10, 2011 - 07:59 am: Edit

Reply to comments in SIT thread regarding counters.

Randy, while the Bases are "listed" in the SIT. There are no counters. The bases are therefore subject to change before publication of the counters. See Chuck's comment about changing the recommended factors. At the same time both versions of the Orion bases maybe kept in the Cyberboard gamebox, if such factors are changed. This is for scenarios like Early Beginnings and possibly Cloud Burst which have need for "standard" bases.

By Alan De Salvio (Alandwork) on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 04:13 pm: Edit

I don't see any ISC scenarios - is this correct?

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Monday, March 05, 2012 - 06:55 pm: Edit

Alan they are still be worked on for the next major update. Gathering Winds is completed, but Driving Winds is still in the works.

By Chuck Strong (Raider) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 02:48 am: Edit

Turtle:

The rulebook includes the completed, formal ISC Pacification scenario titled:

Driving Winds

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Tuesday, March 06, 2012 - 07:40 am: Edit

Chuck, we are talking about scenarios included in the Cyberboard download.

By craig grinnell (Mauler) on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 12:06 pm: Edit

i downloaded cyberboard.
now what?
It runs (boots up) and looks all purty n stuff, but i have no clue how to make it DO anything.
what am i missing?
thinking about getting vassal, but since i only have internet via cell phone anymore, it seems to be an unlikely avenue for play.
and i have no room for a REAL game o' F&E...
"little fingers" like to touch daddy's stuff.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 12:41 pm: Edit

Cyberboard is mostly a manual thing. Think of it's use like you would use a physical map and cardboard counters - but it's virtual instead.

I haven't been able to make Cyberboard work on a mobile phone. However, if you have email and a computer you can pass each other GMV files and notes and use a roller (like pbegames.com) to do the rolls you need.

By Mike Curtis (Fear) on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 01:04 pm: Edit

Have you downloaded 3.10 version of Cyberboard? You will need the most current version for the gamebox and scenarios above.

Create a directory for your game, put the gamebox and the scenario file in that directory. Open Cyberboard and then select File>New>game and select the scenario file has your base. It will then create a game file for you from that. Save it at that point and call it master game or something like that so you can open a new game anytime you want.

Then save it as the game you are planning on doing and start moving pieces. CB will record the moves and then you can save them as a move file and your opponent can then load that move file to see your moves. You can also copy and paste any dice roller you use into the game to show results.

Hope that gets you started. If you have any other question, please let us know. There are some great folks around here that are willing to help.

By Michael Tisdel (Jtisdel) on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 02:38 pm: Edit

Something that came up in a (restarted) game with Ted on Cyberboard - could we have a "reference" somewhere as to the best practices on how to use Cyberboard with FnE? I've done VASSAL before but this new fangled Cyberboard is a little confusing.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 02:46 pm: Edit

AFAIK there is no such reference - we would have to develop it.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 10:08 pm: Edit

oops double post

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 10:10 pm: Edit

I began such a reference but it has been backburnered by life.

Maybe Jean and crew can make us a subtopic thread for us to post things like quick tips and common practices players use to play F&E using CB.

By Robert Padilla (Zargan) on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 10:58 pm: Edit

I used to have an old Word document, basically a getting started guide but I haven't updated it or even thought about updating it in ages. Maybe it's time....

By Mike Curtis (Fear) on Monday, April 16, 2012 - 11:36 pm: Edit

I will get the subtopic up in the morning.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Tuesday, April 17, 2012 - 12:56 am: Edit

Topic now created.

Jean
WebMom

By Michael Tisdel (Jtisdel) on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 09:32 am: Edit

Thanks for setting that up!
-- A Cyberboard Newbie

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Wednesday, April 18, 2012 - 10:13 am: Edit

Feel free to ask questions there, the responses will all be in one place and maybe, someday, someone can combine them into a reference document of some kind.

By Mark Renier (Brickthrower) on Sunday, July 22, 2012 - 01:28 pm: Edit

Even better than a manual would be an online wiki system where we can all edit it at will.

Wikis have several advantages over manuals, primary among them is that they can be updated immediately.

Here is an example of an editable wiki for the VASSAL engine and the Federation & Empire module:
http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Federation_%26_Empire

Here is a wiki for the F&E board game:
http://boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/thing%3A36

Does F&E Cyberboard have some sort of available wiki to host it's knowledge within? Is it possible to get one set up?

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, August 08, 2012 - 12:00 pm: Edit

Notice to Cyberboard Players: If trying to play (625.0) Driving Winds with all Federation related cordons you will discover there are not enough NAC counters available in the 2011 Gamebox.

The issue is currently being addressed. Thanks for your patience.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation