Archive through November 04, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E Cyberboard Development: Archive through November 04, 2012
By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 10:58 am: Edit

Notice to Cyberboard Players: If trying to play (625.0) Driving Winds with all Federation related cordons you will discover there are not enough DWA counters available in the 2011 Gamebox.

The issue is currently being addressed. Thanks for your patience.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Sunday, August 12, 2012 - 01:34 pm: Edit

30 NAC added to the forthcoming (2012) gamebox.

Other than the DWA, is there anything else needed?

Any wish we had this or that?

I have made a few tweaks/additions again. No where near the level of change of last time though.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 07:07 am: Edit

2 More Federation CF (F-1111's) are needed.

51 Federation DWAs are needed just to set up the Driving Winds scenario.

I'll have to set the other empires up as well to see if any others are in the same boat.

By Tim Losberg (Krager) on Thursday, August 16, 2012 - 07:42 pm: Edit

Lar, sent you a request for EB changes

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 02:39 am: Edit

Lawrence,
Is it possible to get permission to use the beautiful graphics you have done for all the counters in any F&E/SFB style non-commercial application/website? I may do some online tools to help with playing games online and prefer your graphics over the official ones :)

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Sunday, August 19, 2012 - 09:06 am: Edit

I don't mind at all. I am not sure that thee graphics will hold up though as the pixels are scaled WAY back from what would be considered "good graphics". (Most ships fall into the 30x30 pixels range, terrible IMO).

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 05:39 pm: Edit

Having now a duel monitor setup, I have accidentally moved Tray A partly off screen and cannot seem to figure out how to move it anymore (it's about halfway through the top of my screen).

Anyone know how to fix this?

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 07:49 pm: Edit

Try double clicking on the tray somewhere and see what that does.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 08:22 pm: Edit

I've tried a lot of things including that, but nothing moves a tray that I've found except for right clicking on the top of the tray, which isn't possible at the moment.

By Nick G. Blank (Nickgb) on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 08:45 pm: Edit

If you right click on a blank toolbar area you can get the toolbar customization menu. It has an option to reset the toolbar to the default state. On my system this crashes cyberboard every time I click it and when I reload the program nothing has changed, but if it works for you it may reset those trays onto their default positions as well. Or not.

If that doesn't work I have no clue.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 10:44 pm: Edit

It crashed cyberboard.

As an aside, using the dual monitor set up I can see the map from Far Stars Offmap to the 41xx hex column in Gorn / Romulan space. So if one had a six monitor set up you could have almost the entire F&E map (in large scale) up at once. Just sayin'.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 01:45 pm: Edit

It crashed mine too. Someone should report that little bug the the CB newsgroup.

As for the issue to the tray itself I have done that. Along the edge of the tray (the area that gives you the double arrow to alter size). Move your mouse slightly inward so that you are in the white area between the edge and the contents of the tray. Left click, you should then see the mouse pointer change into a 4 direction arrow. When you do, drag the tray down until you see it all again.

My 11 year old says that is how all windows boxes work. See what the younglings can teach us...

LOL

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Saturday, September 01, 2012 - 02:44 pm: Edit

Thank you Lawrence. That took care of the problem.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 12:12 am: Edit

So I was going through grabbing all the images from the latest box and adding to a little app I wrote that basically is a SIT and shows a lot more options, by year, etc, etc...

Anyway, I've only been through the Feds so far (well and the Andros, but they are hardly usable yet) and wanted to mention some things.

Again, this is only Feds, I haven't parsed the other races yet (but hope to do so this week).

Text says all ships are there through CL42, but it was missing the following units:
BB-
F111 Monitor Pallet (but there is a MON+P with it mounted)
CL28: DNQ, CAQ, TGQ, DDQ, SCQ, CVA(O), DCL, FBC, GFF
CL34: PTC, FEV, CUT
CL35: SAO, SAL, SAJ, PCS, HAM, FNT

And just for a heads up, CL45 has the following new units for whenever an update is done.
SAC, JAC, LAC, HAC, HAH, FTH, FAS

And a couple questions...

Where does the F&E monster data come from?

What is a "Tech Convoy"?

What does "EB" stand for?

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 12:20 am: Edit

Oh, also, there is a TG counter with only a red B, that has 12 fighters and is 2-8. I think this counter is an "extra", as it should have red BB instead and be 12 (and that counter is there).

There is an LTT with a red G, 9H fighters, and scout, with a compot of 4-9. I think this one is incorrect as well as I don't think an LTT can ever gain 2 defense factors.

And if it matters, there are 2 counters that say F14 +2 and 2 that say F15 +2, I think I recall you saying that there was limits on counters, so removing a couple extra ones would make sense.

There is an F111 counter on it with no attack factors (I think it probably needs a 9H on it under the F111).

There is also a 15 strength fighter counter, which may be confused with F-15's, and since there is no F13 or F14, it should probably be replaced or have an "8" added to it.

And there is both a VHP and FCF pod, which are the exact same, recommend removing the FCF as it isn't used in F&E to avoid any confusion.

Again, that was all Federation.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 12:28 am: Edit

Oh, and one thing I noticed with the Andromedans:

The CBR is 5/3. You have the 5 counter ok, but the 3 counter is missing the crippled red line.

Oh, and I know some of those missing units are in Generic, just saying that they weren't in Fed colors.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 01:58 am: Edit

Gorns and Hydrans:

Gorn:
2 Tech Convoy
2 PF Flotillas
2 G's
2 IGCE
2 Solid green squares
2 Admiral pictures
SCSS should be SSCS

Missing:
No BB(-), HDM, PBF
No LPF, HDWX, and HDSX (None of these have stats yet anyway)
CL28: DNB, DDD, BCB, GDD
CL45: FAS, HAC, HAH, SAC
CL34: CUT, FEV, FTH, JAC, LAC, PTC
CL35: FNT, HAM, PCS, SAJ, SAL, SAO
DLF has no combat factors (I don't believe it has any, so this is ok)

Hydran:
2 PF's
LPF, GR, CMM have no combat factors (None of these have stats yet anyway)
MNL
PGZ

Missing:
CL28: GAL, HCK
CL34: CUT, FEV, JAC, PTC
CL45: FAS, HAC, HAH, SAC, LAC

It appears not all races have consistent FFT/DWT/APT/PTR missions, nor bases with the same configurations of modules. The Hydrans have a crippled FTM while other races don't.

Looking at the D7X, it'd be cool to see a CL article on how some ships changed when captured. The D7C to D7X for example since it has different stats (if the stats didn't change, it need not be mentioned in the article). No counters would ever have to be made (but could). I can read in an image, change some colors to other colors, and essentially produce a captured counter for every counter in print within a few minutes. I may do a couple test runs just to show how easy it is, if there is any interest.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 03:42 am: Edit

Eric thanks for going over the box. An update is in progress and has been slowed by my impending move across the country (Michigan to California).
Turtle is assisting me in the QA/QC checks.

EB stands for Early Beginnings which is a non-historical civilization-type build scenario set in the F&E world. It has been very popular play at Origins and online. Units have been designed and added for that scenario. Tech Convoys are such an item...they have special rules based upon commercial convoys that lend specifically to tech research materials and generate Research points rather than EP.

F&E Monster data was extrapolated from CLog articles, scenarios and such and have been added successfully to the EB scenario (perfect for an exploration-expansion type game).

The APT/PTR missions (and several others mentioned) were stopped in their tracks when I ran into space issues for the counter numbers. As the box gets tweaked I am adding the missing items in. It is great if you find extra stuff as they can be removed/replaced.

Designing a new counter (in CB Design) does not take up a bunch of space in the box until it is duplicated into the trays for use in CB Play. This is why some of the future stuff shows up. It is also why some stuff was made as a marker not a counter (markers do not take up much space but cannot be placed into fleet trays).

Essentially the last time I updated I went through the SIT and tried to first make things true to them...then added in CLog items...some of the Aux stuff was tabled until this time as it is of limited use (rule and function both) compared to warship variants.

Thanks again...

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 11:14 pm: Edit

Where can I find the rule sfor EB?

Want me to keep reporting what I find?

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 07:12 am: Edit

http://web.me.com/krager/Project_EB/Welcome.html

Yes I do.

FYI: EB questions should be directed to Tim Losberg.

Oh and the CL 28 stuff was mostly conjectural and did not make the official SIT (translated never has had much demand for it).

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 07:28 am: Edit

I just picked up CL44 & 45 from my local game/hobby store. They do not carry ADB stuff but will order it. Since ADB raised their shipping cost, and GAMA screwed up Origins it makes more sense to buy local. Yes, I buy less of the ADB extra stuff (counter sheets, miniature kitbash parts, and other one-offs), but I am supporting the local economy.

It is kind of like buying from America vs direct from China.

I also found that my local game store has discount coupons in the local yellow pages $5 off of $25 and $10 off of $50 purchases. I don't go out of my way to find these but I have been checking local restaurants, offices and they don't mind if I take the coupon.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 10:24 am: Edit

The EB URL is invalid, got a more recent one? I did find this:
http://travellerdocs.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/eb_total_war_4-0_draft6.pdf, but didn't know if it was the latest greatest.

ISC:
No uncrippled side for regular PST

P-VHP appears to be the P-HFP ([4H]), and the P-VHP (4H) doesn't actually exist

There are 2 or more versions of the TG+AA(2), TG+AB(4), TG+AG(2), TG+AQ(2), TG+AS(2), TG+BB(3), TG+BG(2), and TG+BQ(2). Some have a dot, some don't, not sure if that represents PPD, or overloaded, or if they are duplicate counters. This may not be wrong in any way, I just wasn't sure as to what they represented.

HAS
NAX
PST (the back counter exists, but not the frount)

CL34: CUT, FEV
CL35: FNT, HAM, PTC, SAJ, SAL, SAO
CL45: FAS, HAC, HAH, JAC, LAC, PCS, SAC

Klingon:
Extra 3D5 Counter

Missing:
CL28: BC8, D17, GF5,
CL34: CUT, FEV, PTC
CL45: FAS, FTH, HAC, HAH, JAC, LAC, SAC
E5D (this may be missing as stats are identical to the regular E5)

As for CL28, I'd love to see the gunfighter frigates and additional engine fed ships get implemented. Especially since this little app I have is now showing the CB counters when you select a ship, so it sucks to have "blank" ones (granted many of these I can probably just change a number and change myself, but not all).

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 10:37 am: Edit

CL 45 units were released well after the 2011 gamebox was done. Thus they are missing.

Space issues and counter requirements for published products like ISC War take precedence. We actually ran out of several different counters when trying to set up Driving Winds (625.0).

Other CL units may be cut/removed because of those space requirements.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 12:29 pm: Edit

Eric, the current website is down while a new ISP is being established. I will send you, to your profile email, the most current version.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 03:12 pm: Edit

I'm aware of why the CL43-45 stuff isn't in there, just listed it for completeness.

Kzinti:
MCC has an extra crippled side counter
CLE has an extra crippled side counter
MON+S has no crippled counter
CL34: CUT, FEV, PTC
CL28: CVC, GFF
CL45: FAS, FTH, HAC, HAH, JAC, LAC, SAC

I noticed a few counters that have no SIT data as well, no biggie.

The Klingon D17 is probably not listed as its functionally identical to the D7.

FYI, I haven't ruled out writing a replacement for cyberboard, but right now I am tracking over 150 different stats each ship can have, and I'm only about 40% done going through the rules.

There are some playtest rules that don't have counters either, like the Tri-video ship, legendary commodores, and computer controlled ships.

So what are the limits being encountered in Cyberboard? Max tray size, max # of counters, etc? Just curious.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation