Archive through November 09, 2012

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E Cyberboard Development: Archive through November 09, 2012
By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 03:37 pm: Edit

Total number of counters is what we have bumped up against.

For computer controlled ships I just put a note in the text box. They are very limited builds and as playtest units very rarely used.

Cyberboard lets you play a number of other games provided you have the gameboxes and rules for the games in question. For example I have a copy of the gamebox for Bismarck as I got that game way back in the early 80s.

Other units seem to have little interest so have not been added. However the more specialty and limited production units you add, the more you have to take away from somewhere else.

For example the Federation DWA is one of those units we ran out of when setting up Driving Winds. However, we can't take away from the Gorn DD to fix that. The Gorn DD is one of those units you can run out of in EB if we where to take away from them.

Another unit is the ISC DD. When setting up the ISC in Driving Winds I finished with a handful of DD's left over. However those leftover were only enough for 1 - 2 turns of production depending on what kind of DD/FF hulls you built according to the construction schedule.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 03:51 pm: Edit

LDR:
There is an extra TGC+B
There is an extra TGC+S
There is an extra TGP+S
There is an extra TGP+B
There are TGP+N (GG), TGC+N (GG), TGC+P (PP), TGP+P (PP), and TGP+A (9-12) tugs that have stats as 2 pods, but only carry 1. These are all "extra" I think.
The crippled side of the FTL says FHL

Missing:
CL34: CUT, FEV, PTC
CL45: FAS, HAC, HAH, JAC, LAC, SAC
CL35: FNT, HAM, PCS, SAJ, SAL, SAO
CWVH

I was looking a coding a cyberboard type utility but more directed towards F&E, so things like ship counts for example could be done instantly.

Didn't the box used to have Early Years ships too? Was that one of the casualties of not enough counters?

FYI, I've extracted all the counters to individual bitmaps, and have a program that goes through a data file with all the SIT data, and shows the counters and lots of other stats on each counter. That is how I'm grabbing these, as I go through and rename the counters to the name of the unit, and match them up with the SITs.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 04:32 pm: Edit

Lyran:
Extra SR+B (with 6 fighters)
Extra SR+S
Extra TGC+S
Extra TGP+S
Extra TGC+B (6 fighters)
Extra TGP+B (6 fighters)
There is an SR+N with 2 G's that shouldn't be there
There is an SR+P with 2 P's that shouldn't be there
There is an TGP+N with 2 G's that shouldn't be there
There is an TGP+P with 2 P's that shouldn't be there
There is an TGC+N with 2 G's that shouldn't be there
There is an TGC+P with 2 P's that shouldn't be there
Extra DNE counter
CPX is labeled CPFX

Missing:
CL28: EEC, EPC, ESC, GFF, QC

Also, FYI, *I* may be missing a unit in my list, and if that unit was also missing in the gamebox I wouldn't list it. Often this happens some of the auxiliaries, especially from CL45.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 04:43 pm: Edit

Oh, and for those of you who want to see the whole map at once, my 4 monitors can do it... barely :)

http://goodsects.gotdns.com/4monitorfe.jpg

And for the toolbars getting wacked, it happens to me all the time as I RDP a lot and my resolutions get crazy. Anyway, go to the view toolbar, unselect "save window positions". Then exit. Then go back in and all the window positions are reset and it should fix things disappearing on you.

By Michael H.Oliver (Mholiver) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 04:50 pm: Edit

Eric
The site you posted for total war 4-0 PDF on me when I try to open will not.. It saiding it is damage and cant be repair

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 05:48 pm: Edit

That doesn't actually show the whole map at once, only a slice of it.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Michael Oliver... not very sure what file your talking about, but if there is an issue with a damaged file when you try to download, right click and save as..., then save it on your hard drive somewhere, and open it from there. Feel free to shoot me the link your using to download and I'll check it out.

Ok, yeah, 4 monitors only show the full WIDTH of the map. I have another 8 monitors in my other room not hooked up where I could actually show it ALL, but I not only have no method to mount 4 more monitors above my 4 existing ones, but I don't have any more slots in my computer either :) So I guess you got me :)

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 07:48 pm: Edit

Orion:
2 Orion BB-
2 5APT
2 APT
2 PTR
2 TECH CONVOY
No small FTS counter uncrippled
No crippled OK6 Cloak
The SLV, SVL, and VIK with the C not over the ship are duplicates and can be removed
There is no MON with SCS pallet counter
There is a MON+H counter, but no monitor pallet for it

Missing:
CL28: GLR

Paravian:
No monitor pallets, nor crippled sides of monitors with those pallets

Peladine:
No monitor pallets, nor crippled sides of monitors with those pallets
2 Prime team fronts.
Extra PF counter
I think the CWE should be a CWA with 7-7 compot

Note: I noticed some base power augmentation modules are PAM, others PWM. Also, some fighter modules are just FM, others FTM.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 08:31 pm: Edit

The EY ships went away...they were the old style greyed out silhouettes. No one played with them and the stats were incorrect.

Groups went away as well but they are back in limited amounts.

Has anyone tried a projector to see if they could display the whole thing on the wall?

By Michael H.Oliver (Mholiver) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 08:33 pm: Edit

Eric here is the site
http://web.me.com/krager/Project_EB/Welcome.html

By Michael H.Oliver (Mholiver) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 08:36 pm: Edit

my bad
http://travellerdocs.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/eb_total_war_4-0_draft6.pdf this the one

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 09:12 pm: Edit

Michael, that was an old version. I just forwarded a copy of the rules that were sent to me in email.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 09:15 pm: Edit

As for a projector, well the problem isn't the size of the screen, its the resolution.

Even the best projectors I know of that are anything close to affordable are 1920x1080, and the image I shown was a total of 7040x1200 and it wouldn't fit even then.

Basically you would need a screen about 7200 x 5000 pixels to view the entire map, and there simply isn't a method to get that "on 1 view".

But you can just shrink it down to a more manageable size, if you have a really good projector that can display a screen at a very long distance, you may be able to emulate the large scale map on a wall somewhere. Again tho, the hardware for that would cost a *lot*, probably tens of thousands of dollars.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 10:46 pm: Edit

Even my setup at work (2x2 1920x1280) couldn't handle that on one screen at full size. Geesh.

By Patrick H. Dillman (Patrick) on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 11:08 pm: Edit

Not cheap but these guys could do it.

http://www.rgb.com/

Use to use a 9 screen set up at one of my last jobs built by RGB Spectrum.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 06:28 am: Edit

I can manage a lot of it on my two monitors (????x1200 and 2560x1600).

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 08:52 am: Edit

I sometims have to manage on a single 14" laptop monitor. Ug. Otherwise, it's 2 monitors (that one plus a 20 incher). Works OK, but those above are definitely better.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 10:18 pm: Edit

Romulan:
CPX has CPFX on counter
Monitors with PFT/CV/SCS pallets have no crippled side
2 PF counters
2 SKR's
CL28: GSH, RKH, SKK
CL39: 3QFE
CL40 Supplemental: KGW
CL45: FAS, FTH, HAC, HAH, JAC, LAC, SAC,
KGW

Seltorian FFE is labeled FFF on the front
Monitors with PFT/SCS/CV pallets have no crippled side
Extra Convoy
CPX labeled CPFX
2 Mega fighter
2 Mega fighter (heavy)
2 G'S
2 IGCE's
There is no front starbase with just 1 PF (it has 2 and just 1 P up top right)
CL28: CLJ, GFF

Tholian:
2 G's
Monitors with PFT/SCS/CV pallets have no crippled side
STF has no base graphic
BTN and PDU counters are the same (no other race has the PDU, all have BTNs)
CL28: GFF, NPD, SDS, TK7, TK8
CL40: PDD
NSCS

Vudar:
Starbase with 6 fightesr and red 2 has only 3 attack, should be 36
Back of the FTL says FHL
2 PF's
DD
FF

And that is it for phase 1!!! That represents about 8000 unique counter sides!

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, November 06, 2012 - 06:44 am: Edit

Awesome thanks for the checklist!

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Thursday, November 08, 2012 - 08:03 am: Edit

Checklist downloaded.

I also received a couple of emails with items not listed.

Please post up any requests not listed here in the last few days (or remind me of items you posted previously you would like to see added/edited/changed). All will be reviewed as I go through this list and tweak the box to accommodate Driving Winds set-up.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 04:13 pm: Edit

The Hydran THR is 7-8(2) on the SIT and the physical counter, but 7-8(1.5) in Cyberboard.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 04:36 pm: Edit

Cyberboard is correct - SIT needs to be updated. See the THR SSD which has 3 fighter bays, just like the DG or TG for example (translating to 1.5 FF).

By Ryan Opel (Ryan) on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 04:51 pm: Edit

Eric,

A lot of the Hydran ships need to be changed to (.5) fighter factors since they were published before the 1/2 factor was introduced.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 05:24 pm: Edit

Imo, Cyberboard is not correct until the SIT is updated, though I use those values as a house rule when opponent is agreeable.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 07:49 pm: Edit

monitor crippled sides are all the same as the no pallet monitor, by rule 519.4 pallets cease to function when crippled (attrition units become homeless)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation