Archive through February 09, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E Cyberboard Development: Archive through February 09, 2013
By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Friday, November 09, 2012 - 11:32 pm: Edit

I wrote an app, about 40 lines of code (only 7 were “new”, the rest I copied from another app I wrote).

Took 7 minutes.

Outputs every single counter I extracted from cyberboard (8400 of them), changing 2 specific colors to 2 other specific colors.

It isn't perfect when the original counter used anti-aliasing, though since there are only a couple levels (and thus a couple additional colors) I could pretty easily fix that.

I could also have it put all the counters in a single file if desired (well, perhaps a few hundred per file).

Basically I can change the color schemes for every ship in the game, allowing a captured colored version for every ship in the game within seconds (though I don't know if CB can handle a few thousand extra counters)

Any need for this utility, or the output from it?

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 06:08 am: Edit

I don't need it, I just put a note on a captured ship that it was captured and stack it with other ships friendly with it (or put it in a fleet box).

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Saturday, November 10, 2012 - 06:43 am: Edit

There's not really enough space available for captured ships. We bumped up against the limit in doing the 2011 gamebox. Some units had to be cut down which may require people to find a different way to keep track of dead units if they have to reuse certain units like Engineers and others that are specifically limited by the rules to a fixed number. Prime Teams are another good example as there are 15 total for each empire.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Thursday, November 29, 2012 - 01:48 pm: Edit

I'm making myself a LMC map to support the rules I'm doing up (and almost done with) for Andromedans.

http://www.cooltexan.com/lmc.png

Throughout the General War there are Andromedans running around wrecking havoc, forcing all players to basically leave a squadron at every planet/base when without those rules you just see massive fleets moving around. I really think AndroWar will make the entire game more fun, but I also really think we won't see it this decade (and hope I'm wrong!) :(

So, I'm doing up my own rules for them, and will post them when done. Just thought people here may like to see the map. I randomly added planets to support enough economy that if the Andro's captured it all, they can do their production. I'll go through the scenarios in C5 and see if I need to update them, and will try to apply names when possible.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Friday, November 30, 2012 - 11:00 am: Edit

I updated the map (same link) to show all the planets based on the stuff in the C5 thread. The capital systems just have a bunch of little planets within them. The Maghadim area is *very* dense, and from history it sounds like everybody ends up fighting from there for a while till the 2 dominators with "special energy modules" made it through to setup SATBs. Also, the Andro's ended up with a BATS in every hex outside the Maghadim area pretty quickly, and only a very few magellanic ships made it out to roam around the fringe area, unsupplied, losing ships every turn, until Unity when the Andro's were defeated... well, their *reinforcements* were defeated, but i'm betting there are still a lot of Andros roaming around in Y206.

I was planning on making magellanic planets worth a lot less EP than Alpha, something like 1 or 2 EP for Major and 1 EP for Minor, and 1 EP per province (which are 3 hexes except in the core, where they are 1), otherwise they are just too powerful.

Anybody know an easier way to draw out the province borders?

I may do the same thing for Omega in each timeframe, but leave it to somebody else to draw up all the little ship icons (though I'd be happy to help with programming to come up with all the factors)

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 12:33 am: Edit

I went through and started adding all the ISC units from the ISC module to the latest cyberbox and there were a few units short. I went in order, but here is what I was missing:

FFT in 1st Fleet
FFT in 4th Fleet
1 CPF short in 5th Fleet
1 CPF short in 6th Fleet

2 DE short in 6th Fleet (Both CSV)
1 DE short in 7th Fleet (CVLS)
1 DE short in 7th Fleet (CVE)
1 DE short in 8th Fleet (CVLS)
1 DE short in 8th Fleet (CVE)

1 Military Convoy Short (but there is a marker version under Convoys that works)
1 CONVOY short (but there is a marker version under Convoys that works)

Dang, that wasn't the latest cyberboard box, it was v5.3, I just noticed the new one out there.

However, the DE's at least still appear to be short in the version up as of this posting.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 06:29 am: Edit

Eric, I've already gone through the setup for the pacification scenario and discovered a number of counter shortages. They have already been emailed to Lar for correction.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 08:32 am: Edit

FYI:
The CB is under construction for release in early 2013. I have made many of the suggested edits but have more to do.

One week from today the contents our entire household will begin it's journey and be considered 'in transit' as we make the move from MI to CA. This will include my desktop. I have not gotten a date yet as to when I will have internet at the house there. We are staying for part of the time with the most hospitable Col. Strong (to whom I am indebted x3).

Keep the edits coming but check the previous items posted (above) so as to not be redundant.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 09:41 am: Edit

Lar,

I have another suggested change for the new box.

I don't know about other players, but at least for me the single fleet battle boards are useless. I would rather replace them all with double fleet battle boards so that all ships on all sides are on the same tab (or maybe just leave two of the single battle boards for rare occassional use). It makes tracking battles easier, at least for email games.

It would be nice to add a marker that says "annexed" for annexed provinces and planets and NZ hexes.

It would be nice to add a "+" marker and a "-" marker. That way players could use these markers to make clear things like +/- points in combat (as opposed to using notes or colors).

Thanks for considering!

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 09:43 am: Edit

Oh, and one other thing. If additional double battle boards replace single battle boards, it would be nice to have corresponding "battle board" markers.

Ideally the battle board markers should not say "1", "2", etc. but rather should say "sky", "tope," "lime", etc. One "battle board" marker with color per colored battle board. Makes it easier to setup and track large numbers of battles.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Wednesday, December 12, 2012 - 12:49 pm: Edit

Oooooo, never thought of improvements... but while they are brought up:

Add a hex somewhere to each off map area titled "survey ships". There is usually room, but technically survey areas are beyond the off-map areas, and some of those off map areas can get a bit cluttered.

Add a residual PDU marker for each race.

Add 1/3/5/10 EP markers (we use the generic #s for tons of other things)

add a marker for each race that says "base upgrade"

Orions could use a MON and SAV counter, the enclave rules give them those (they do say the MON is fed type, but its an inconsistent color in the enclave)

Maybe make the map a few hexes bigger up top, so the blocks for reserve/prime/pods can be added for the up and coming races in C6 (carnivon/paravian?) due out in a few months.

Add the ISC pacification map, where all the neutral zones become 5 hexes wide.

Add the LMC map as printed in C5, and perhaps even the Omega maps. Granted, there are no rules quite yet, but I've seen quite a few people trying to do their own (including myself) and its pretty easy to add maps (minus provinces)

Add all the cordon or parts of the map for various scenarios.

On the topic of maps/scenarios, there are a bunch of scenarios printed, is there any work being done on getting these into cyberboard? I'd be happy to help do that.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 10:08 am: Edit

Some more ideas:

Add generic markers for "Rescue Tug" and "Drone Bombardment" (or any other support echelon role I'm forgetting).

Maybe add a small table in the lower right that has a listing of each tug mission, and what they are. Kinda needed since all the tug+missions have unique counters in game.

A generic counter that says "moved", so we don't have to turn counters which is quite a few more keystrokes, and makes them harder to use.

Add a dozen or so more battle hexes counters. Instead of the battle board counters + battle hex counters, if the system can handle 20 battle boards, add them, and then add the combat hex that matches the battle board name.

Maybe add a "Graveyard" fleet to all races, so their dead can be placed there and more easily organized than the big boxes on the right side of the map.

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 10:38 am: Edit

Rescue tugs are denoted by a W in the upper right hand corner. All tug missions are denoted in that way, e.g. Carrer Tug is denoted with a B and the factors added to the tug depending pod configuration.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 10:40 am: Edit

Quote:

Maybe add a "Graveyard" fleet to all races, so their dead can be placed there and more easily organized than the big boxes on the right side of the map.

Use the empires index counter tray to store your dead. You can even add a note as to when and where they died. Makes a nice history to review and you can graphically see how things are going with ship losses.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Friday, January 11, 2013 - 03:00 pm: Edit

A player is not going to need that many battle boards. Taking all of your counters from the trays to set up multiple battle boards will get messy and confusing just as it would in real life. The only advantage in the world of CB is you could possibly recover the game at the last point in which it was saved.

That said, I have added some in the forthcoming new gbx but not 20.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Wednesday, January 16, 2013 - 09:31 pm: Edit

I was looking at the sample map image Eric had over in the First Blood thread, and noticed that Q'naabia (in 5810) is listed as "Pronhoulia" on that map. (The proper home for Pronhoula is shown in the ISC capital complex on the bottom row of the image.)

Apologies in advance if anyone caught that one already.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Thursday, January 17, 2013 - 12:46 am: Edit

I will double check it.

Thanks.

By Gary Carney (Nerroth) on Saturday, January 19, 2013 - 09:05 pm: Edit

I was looking at the map for the Klingon Eastern Marches scenario, and the raid pool (and other empire-specific data) for the Imperial Klingon Marches along the bottom part of the map are still listed as "Romulan" (and coloured in red) as opposed to "IKM" (and coloured in the shade of grey you use for the Marches).

Also, it may be a smaller detail, but it might be as well to reverse the details for Tholia and for the three "Kalesta system" planets on the bottom row; it still says that Kalesta, Kelanon and Kordahn are "used only if occupied by Klingons", whereas Tholia itself would be the world which would (presumably) only appear if the Klingons are driven out of hex 2919.

On a broader note, did you create that eastern marches variant before the revision to the scenario in Captain's Log #44; and if so, do you plan on revising the map to incorporate the changes made in that file? (Such as adding in the notes for the various fleets listed in CL44's version of the scenario.)

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Sunday, January 20, 2013 - 12:58 pm: Edit

Gary: Yes the map was created before 44 so I will make changes to update it after I have 46 (doing those F&E items at the same time).

Thanks to all for checking the accuracy on the detailed stuff.
I look and look but can only see through my own eyes.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Monday, February 04, 2013 - 01:06 pm: Edit

So I have been making a little website version of the SITs for myself that uses Cyberboard counters. While going through annex G3 (and more recent captain's logs) I've noticed there are a lot of ships that haven't been implemented yet in Cyberboard or even F&E.

So, question #1, want a list of all these ships are is somebody already aware?

Question #2. Due to the huge numbers of modular ships like the Romulan modular dreadnoughts, HDWs, Fed DLM, Tugs, and Bases, I think Cyberboard is eventually just going to have too many units to support via the counter trays, and I'm pretty sure markers couldn't be used instead. What is the plan there in regards to keeping Cyberboard alive?

Question #3. As some ships have no F&E stats yet, even in Captain's Logs, but I have noticed some counters in CB for them, if I make a bunch of counters for missing ships, with some values (often they are easily deduced) or even with ? for values but at least having a template, does that help in any way?

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Monday, February 04, 2013 - 02:55 pm: Edit

I'd like to see this website, if you are comfortable with making it public.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Monday, February 04, 2013 - 03:05 pm: Edit

Folks, making your own private SITs/F&E conversions is one thing. Publicizing it or making it an open site is a Bad Thing.

While SVC would have to weigh in, it is probably a copyright violation to use it anywhere except around YOUR private gaming table.

Jean
WebMom

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Monday, February 04, 2013 - 05:27 pm: Edit

Yeah, I can't share it publically, sorry. I know SVC would be pretty ticked if I released it to the general public and I totally understand why. Having SITs in 1 place prevents "well MY version said this..." issues that would inevitably come up.

I am planning on implementing ship editing (by username/password) and export to PDF (anybody). Even though SVC said he saw no purpose in it, I'll knock it out and send him a link. I think it'd save huge amounts of time for him, but he may just hate it for any number of reasons.

It helps me a lot though, having the actual counters within the ship line is super helpful visually when looking for things. Plus, being able to sort by year, hide/show unpublished units or units in some products, searching, etc, are all real helpful.

I'm still going through annex G3 adding units that haven't made the official SITs yet (adding them as unpublished, so not usuable in a regular game) before I go hit up the CL's printed since G3, and will then go through the list over and over, adding every single rule reference to every ship, until I'm totally satisfied that if you want to know something about a particular vessel, I'll have the rule reference for it.

I also took my scanned rulebook and broke it down into rule sections, so I will eventually do a mouseover for those rules, so you can just hover over and read them real quick instead of having to lookup the values.

Oh, and I want to implement in the special substitution rules like "CA always for CC" and so on, plus maybe an option for dynamically creating "captured" counters for each ship type as well.

I also want a ship comparison option, so you can compare, side by side, say the CA's for each race, or all DW models, or whatever. I think that'll be super helpful for determining values for new units, and I may even end up with some SFB info in there too (total shields, hits, repair boxes, weapons, etc).

But no, I can't make it publically available. I totally know and understand that.

I am pretty sure I can't post screenshots either, as they have SIT data, but it'd be nice if I could show off my work ;)

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, February 05, 2013 - 10:03 am: Edit

Yes send a list of the missing. You can send to my email in my profile.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Saturday, February 09, 2013 - 09:23 am: Edit

Sent! Though with 814 items, I think you may add me to your blocked senders list :)

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation