Archive through March 10, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E with Vassal: Archive through March 10, 2013
By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Monday, August 06, 2012 - 09:38 am: Edit

James,

I'll try to get a ruling on the NHBH and FHBH over in Q&A then. The Romulans get screwed by having to build carriers with extra fighters as it is as you know. They also get screwed on costs (like the SPV and the SK), and on EW already. Hopefully, we can at least clarify the point about NHBH and FHBH.

By craig grinnell (Mauler) on Saturday, August 11, 2012 - 11:49 am: Edit

Hello Mr Lowry,
I've been trying to load up the Four Powers War and ship extension to use as a way of "getting my sea legs" back, so to speak but I keep ending up with the set up for a regular campaign.
Is there something i've missed?
I activated the extension, but am still stuck using F 168 ship types and OOB.
"Reptilicon" seems to load right, although I haven't really dug into it yet.

Excellent work, by the way. Looks fabulous.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 12:30 pm: Edit

The scenario file comes up right for me....

Now do keep in mind, that the module will not (can not) *remove* items in the counter palette for being unavailable. So, you'll still see X-ships, etc available for pulling out. But the already pulled ships (OoB), should be appropriate, with DNEs, ect.

By craig grinnell (Mauler) on Monday, August 13, 2012 - 03:32 pm: Edit

I'll check it again.

By craig grinnell (Mauler) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 11:00 am: Edit

k...
i figured it out. All my oops. wont say what i did, but it works now...

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Tuesday, August 14, 2012 - 06:58 pm: Edit

^_^

Glad you got it going.

By Andrew Lawrence Presby (Feld) on Sunday, August 26, 2012 - 03:51 pm: Edit

Sir,

You'd mentioned in July that this might be the last update of this fine module and that you'd put something out in a couple of weeks. Request any data on that you'd care to share.

v/r
Andy P.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 12:17 pm: Edit

Sorry, an initial experiment didn't pan out, and I have yet to get around to really trying things out. (Distracted, as usual.)

Still, I hope to have a general announcement 'soon'.

By Andrew Lawrence Presby (Feld) on Monday, August 27, 2012 - 08:04 pm: Edit

Roger all. Thank you for your time and this excellent module. I am just learning to play what has rapidly become my pick the finest SF strategy game ever made and I simply would not have the ability to do so without your work with VASSAL.

It was not practical for me to save game state with maps and counters during long periods off due to work schedules.

Thanks again!

v/r
Andy P.

By Andrew Lawrence Presby (Feld) on Thursday, August 30, 2012 - 07:53 pm: Edit

Another question: Does the current VASSAL module have Depot Level Repair charts?

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 01:03 am: Edit

Yes, they're in the main chart for each race, along with the tug pod pools, Raid pools, and tracking stacks for survey ships, salvage, police ships and prime teams.

By Andrew Lawrence Presby (Feld) on Friday, August 31, 2012 - 04:05 pm: Edit

Ahso. Sorry - I was looking right at them and didn't see them. I see them now. Thank you!

By Chris Upson (Misanthropope) on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 03:54 pm: Edit

i would love it if the colored "in this fleet/ not really offboard" part of the fleet holding boxes were a little bigger. even one more counter width in each dimension would be a big help with organizing really big fleets.

thanks for all you've done. F&E without an electronic board would be an unplayable game for me.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 04:58 pm: Edit

I'll keep it mind. They've already been enlarged once. Certainly the carrier forces could use it (I like to keep each group separate), but I also like to be able to look at several at the same time while plotting movements.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 09:52 am: Edit

James,

Let me second what Chris Upson said above: "F&E without an electronic board would be an unplayable game for me" too.

That said, if/when you do another update, I request that you remove the 2 extra fighters from the FHBH and NHBH counters. We may not have gotten any ruling about these ships yet, but I am pretty sure they will not be ruled as 8H2f ships but rather simply 8H. I could be wrong I suppose.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Saturday, September 15, 2012 - 11:33 am: Edit

Keep in mind that the reporting goes off of the properties, so you can uncheck the two fighters in the properties box, and they will report with the stats you want.

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Sunday, September 30, 2012 - 10:53 pm: Edit

I didn't know that fighters got reported anyway. We've been using the counter but ignoring the 2 extra ftrs for now. We usually use a note to indicate who has what fighters left instead of using the properties box anyway.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Monday, October 01, 2012 - 03:28 pm: Edit

Not using the properties box is usual. But it's there, and can be handy for longer-term tracking (like when out of supply). But they do report to the stack viewer, and the unit inventories, which I recommend you use as you can for quick counting.

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 02:37 pm: Edit

How do you guys handle op movement and reactions with Vassal? Move one fleet at a time and email the file back and forth to see if the opponent wants to react? Or try and schedule time to play those live?

By Paul Edwards (Pablomatic) on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 12:30 pm: Edit

Personally we play live. I don't know how others do it, but anything other than live would be...tedious.

By James Lowry (Rindis) on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 02:18 pm: Edit

The same way it's done for ASL. Do a log file of your moves. Send it to your opponent, he records a log while stepping through it, and stops if it looks like he's derailing your plans and sends it back.

Start out with things he can't react to (internal shuffling of crippled ships, etc.), do a few things that he *may* react to. If you think he's going to react, do the move, and *then* give instructions on what to do if he did (leave these ships behind...). If you've got a few things that are dependent on each other (different fronts), tell your opponent to keep going to the end of the log and do those all at once.

With a little work and experience, you and your opponent will start figuring out what works for you.

By Troy Latta (Saaur) on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 08:11 pm: Edit

Thanks guys. We're still setting up fleets for turn 1 so we don't know what will work for us yet but I wanted to at least get a starting point or two.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 09:43 am: Edit

So I just downloaded and am messing around with F+E Vassal. Pretty cool!

A couple questions:

-One thing looks like a bug, but it is also possible that I'm just doing something wrong. When I highlight a fleet counter and select "show units" (or hit crtl+s), I get a pop up window with the name of the fleet, but no actual information or counters or anything (i.e. I just get an empty box). Should using crtl+s on a fleet counter result in the fleet chart opening up and I'm doing something wrong?

-When you add a "New Fleet" from the empire fleet chart listing, you get a fleet called New Fleet. But you can't seem to change the name. Am I correct in assuming that the new fleet is just a fleet called "New Fleet", and not a function to add and name your own fleet?

In any case, looks like a good system!

By Jason E. Schaff (Jschaff297061) on Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 11:10 am: Edit

Correct on both points. AFAIK, the fleet display boxes are hard-coded into the module, and there isn't an actual "link" betwen the two. The ctrl-S thing is some sort of built-in feature of Vassal that the person who built the F&E module hasn't been able to implement in a useable way. I don't know enough about Vassal to be able to explain the technical details though.

By Peter D Bakija (Bakija) on Sunday, March 10, 2013 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Ok, cool. Thanks!

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation