Archive through July 03, 2013

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E Cyberboard Development: Archive through July 03, 2013
By Alan De Salvio (Alandwork) on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Mr. Bergen, Sir. Let me get that door for you, Mr. Bergen. Speaking of that, I get a AARP envelope with my Los Angeles Times. This really irritates me - do you young whippersnappers not read the paper anymore? I will be retiring - in 16 years.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 09:21 pm: Edit

If you are the age your profile says you are then you are younger than I. 16 years from age 37 is not a bad retirement age. Maybe by then the RE market in CA will have rebounded and I can retire too. Although about 1/2 way between now and then I will have 2 college bound young adults.

How's that scenario coming ADS? Any troubles?

By Alan De Salvio (Alandwork) on Wednesday, May 01, 2013 - 11:07 pm: Edit

The age did not increment from creation - I am 46, 47 in July. My kids are 11, 8 and 5, so I will be putting my wife to work to pay those college bills. She, luckily, is not on this board to read that...

Klingon (IKM) tug pods may be a problem - I am almost done.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 09:58 am: Edit

Alan look in the tray, KSIT 09 Early Beginnings.
In there is a complete second set of pods for the EB game. Let me know if you find something missing.

Thanks for the help.

Mine are 12 & 10.

By Alan De Salvio (Alandwork) on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 01:58 pm: Edit

People are going to question why there is an EB tray in my Eastern Marches scenario... I am going to refer them to you on that subject. But that does solve the problem. I have never played this scenario (I like maulers), but setting it up points out use issues, in CB and with cardboard. They have a separate strat limit, and other separate limits which I do not have in front of me here at work, and it would be hard in practice to track them all with identical Klingon counters. I am not saying it won't work, I am just saying it will be difficult.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 02:28 pm: Edit

ooo...you bring up a good point.

On the surface one could use the Rom Fleet Markers to at least keep 'whole fleets' separated. Mixing fleets (or at least stacking a few individual ships in a hex from both sides) would compound the issue tremendously. The CB has one saving grace in that you can add a note to the counter. A simple designator would do. KE or KEM or KR or something simple could be added as singles are pulled from existing fleets or storage trays.

This adds a slight complexity and there is room for error but it would help over a table game. Although the ships from the table games can be kept separated by distance.

Another way to go is adopt a policy that you "always" use fleet markers and to mix a fleet you could just keep them as two fleets. Sure you may have a fleet of 1 in one tray and a fleet of several in the same hex but I think players could work it out.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 02:34 pm: Edit

Oh and about the tray...add a note that it is there and why in the Game Scenario > Description at the top of the list to the right (just above Playing Boards). Something like...

NOTE: The tray 'KSIT 09 Early Beginnings' is included for use with the Eastern Marches Klingons. It contains a full set of Tug Pods for them to use.

By Alan De Salvio (Alandwork) on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 05:12 pm: Edit

I already added 'IKM whatever' when needed to a bunch of things, as you will see. I went with Klingon fleet markers (with notes), but the Rom fleet markers may be a better choice (with notes).

'NOTE: Lar said to add the EB trays - don't blame the scenario slave.'

I really think you should add a complete set of all counters for each race's civil war faction, with a stripe or something. That should be easy - just knock it out tonight...

By Thomas Mathews (Turtle) on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 05:14 pm: Edit

Alan, it's not that easy. There isn't enough space to do such a thing.

As suggested in the written scenario, you will need to use teh Romulan Auxiliarries, Monitors, Prime Teams, Diplomats, and Engineers just to have enough counters for those items alone.

By Alan De Salvio (Alandwork) on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 06:07 pm: Edit

I was joking Turtle - Lar is already full up without any civil war factions.

Yes, I am following the scenario notes to the letter regarding use of Romulan counters for IKM units, even when in CB it isn't strictly necessary.

By Stewart W Frazier (Frazikar2) on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 07:17 pm: Edit

Hmmm, seems to me that one could use the Romulan titles with Klingon ships on a dark grey/red background, but as this is way after the fact, it's probably too late to do...

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Thursday, May 02, 2013 - 10:40 pm: Edit

You will use the Romulan ADM as well

Better use the Rom Fleets also.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Friday, May 03, 2013 - 12:14 am: Edit

I meant Rom Fleet Markers and Trays.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 01:02 am: Edit

Okay I had taken some time to work on the 4PW reboot w/ Chuck and put this on hold while I waited for Turtle to finish the ISC scenarios and Mike to finish the Hurricane.

What I have complete at the moment is:
601 The Wind
601b Wayward Wind
602 Tempest
607 4 Power War
659 Eastern Marches

Alan was going to start Cloudburst from CL 28. Alan did you do that yet? If not don't worry about it I had a file I started. If you like maybe you can do a small one.

By Mike Curtis (Fear) on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 09:11 am: Edit

My work on the Hurricane is almost done, but, recently, been distracted by other, deadline related items.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 10:51 am: Edit

No worries...I will likely finish Cloudburst and then submit what I have for Round 1 for posting.

When ISC stuff, Hurricane, and a few other scenarios are ready I can have Joel post a Round 2.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 12:44 pm: Edit

To All:

I have notified ADB that I will be sending the new files soon.

If you want the current (OLD) files for some reason down load them now before it is too late.

By Mike Curtis (Nashvillen) on Friday, May 24, 2013 - 02:18 pm: Edit

Who wants to review my Hurricane scenario? I have looked at it several times and need a fresh set of eyes on it. Email me at the address in my profile.

By Alan De Salvio (Alandwork) on Monday, May 27, 2013 - 12:47 pm: Edit

Are you doing Cloud Burst Lar? I have been busy doing actual F&E. I am looking at Cloud Burst now, all the way back in CL 28.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, May 28, 2013 - 12:34 am: Edit

I have it mostly handled. Do you have time to pick something else?

By Alan De Salvio (Alandwork) on Wednesday, May 29, 2013 - 02:43 pm: Edit

I am not going to tell you, because then you will steal it and do your own. If you promise to let me do it, I will do the terrifying Winds of Fire with its mysterious base pattern.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Thursday, May 30, 2013 - 12:42 am: Edit

Feel free, I don't want to touch that one...

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Tuesday, July 02, 2013 - 09:05 pm: Edit

As noted in CL47. The CB files for 2013 are ready to be updated. Once ADB has secured a reliable replacement for Joel (and that person is comfortable in the position) the files can be submitted and posted. Until that time I continue to make small fixes, updates and tweaks.

By Eric Smith (Badsyntax) on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 12:36 am: Edit

I didn't realize that this mod was ADB sanctioned. I mean, its got conjectural ships, some ships that don't exist in the SFU at all (EB), custom graphics, even different factors than what is in the SITs in some cases (hydran fighters IIRC). I kinda just thought it was supported, and accepted, but not endorsed.

Am I wrong?

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Wednesday, July 03, 2013 - 01:02 am: Edit

Sanctioned? Not really. The deal is I don't post it anywhere else (and no one else does either) and ADB lets it be in their BBS. Since many players use it and (along with VASSAL) it allows players to play others all over the world they know where to find it on the BBS. Since only the web person at ADB knows how to post it I have to wait until they have someone who is firmly in place.

If you mean because ADB mentioned it in CLog 47...nah they have mentioned it (and VASSAL and F&E Online) once or twice before and given James, Scott and I virtual medals for time invested developing alternate play formats that promote the game.

ADB allows me to post the CB here (and only here) for players to use. The note in the front of the .gbx file really says it all. Not until recently has ADB ever sent graphics for me to use. Nor did I ask them to. I spent years upgrading this box to improve every aspect I could with my own artistic flair. Many things are close approximations.

When John and Tim and that whole EB bunch started gaining momentum I checked their maps and thought this would be real easy to do for them so I did it. They liked what they saw and it gave them a great platform to try some things out. I had a nice hand in helping them develop a few concepts and have had fun play testing some their rules.

As we have traveled down the road I have asked players what items they wanted and that has gotten them many little chits and labels to help with gameplay.

EDIT: Oh and if you find discrepancies for ships listed in the SIT report it so I can fix it. It took me years to phase out made up SFB ships that did not exist, carrier group counters, group counters and other funky stuff. I have mainly tried to include all of the CLog items and have extrapolated on a few things (mostly per the request of the EB guys) to help round out some of their non-player races and monsters.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation