Archive through January 29, 2014

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Federation & Empire: F&E COMPUTER PROJECTS: F&E Cyberboard Development: Archive through January 29, 2014
By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:53 am: Edit

Remember Simone does not put in that many hours at ADB. She likely has a full plate when she gets there and when she leaves. The new files have gone on to her pile of things to do. We must be patient.

By Mike Oliver (Mholiver) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 11:16 am: Edit

Tony
Im not in Clarkville,Tn,.......IM in Paducah,Ky now....Im close to my olded girl and my 2 grandbabies.......add a other 2hrs to that trip...Im got my SSD started (lost my left foot) When is this all going to happen......I would love to come....But I need to do some plannig ok......you can email me @ mholiver@yahoo.com for more info about all this.......a few days of F&E would be good for my soul.......plus myself and Bill Steele are doing some Cyberboard playing right now......started turn 2 as of today......Lets dance...

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 12:27 pm: Edit

I know Simone is busy, but is there any way to let her know that there's several players eagerly desiring this material so she can prioritize her work accordingly? Sure, she could have more important things to do than make a few Cyberboard players happy, but still...

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:19 pm: Edit

Hi all,

As you can see, Simone has been busy designing a new Prime Directive page here: http://www.starfleetgames.com/pdindex.shtml

We are getting dinged on some of the fora for having ancient, clunky pages and I would like to not have that be the case.

However, I've asked her to see about getting your files up on Monday when she gets here.

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 06:34 pm: Edit

Thank you Jean.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Friday, January 24, 2014 - 08:48 pm: Edit

Thank you!

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:15 pm: Edit

Hey, does anyone know if you can get Cyberboard to run on a mac? I just got a beautiful new iMac - love it. I've only got like one or two programs I like to run on Windows that don't seem to have a mac version, and Cyberboard seem to be be one of them. the Cyberboard web site doesn't seem to say anything about macs.

I looked into running bootstrap for the mac - but that just boots the mac into native windows mode. Which I DON'T want. Also, a real PITA to reboot the computer just to run a single program.

Kinda frustrated here. Suggestions? Or am I screwed?

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 03:39 pm: Edit

I don't know - but if you figure it out, please post, as I know of at least one other MAC user that I'd love to see use Cyberboard.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 04:17 pm: Edit

So far, the only way I see to make it work is to use Mac's boostrap function to boot up in Windows. But that's a huge PITA to run a solitary Cyberboard game - especially when you prefer Mac to every other function...

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 05:52 pm: Edit

Simone checked and she doesn't have the Cyberboard file. She's waiting for Lars to send a new copy.

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Monday, January 27, 2014 - 08:07 pm: Edit

Hmmm. I will send it to you Jean. I sent it to her profile. And a second (last minute) updated copy of the scenarios to her there just Saturnday.

By Jason E. Schaff (Jschaff297061) on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 04:48 am: Edit

Tim Losberg runs Cyberboard on a Mac using an emulation program called Darwine. I've tried it, and can get Cyberboard to launch, but not to run properly. Not sure what Tim's trick is...

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 11:11 am: Edit

Please feel free to send a copy to me too.

By Eric S. Smith (Badsyntax) on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:26 pm: Edit

http://www.parallels.com/products/desktop/ allows you to run PC stuff on a mac I think. But like everything on a mac, it'll cost ya.

WINE is another way: http://sourceforge.net/projects/darwine/

Alternatively, you could try https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads, I've used it on PC in the past. Basically install a WinXP/7/etc image virtually and you can run pretty much everything that isn't a game or extremely hardware dependent on it.

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 02:32 pm: Edit

Thanks, Eric!

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 05:35 pm: Edit

Files are up!

By Richard B. Eitzen (Rbeitzen) on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 06:26 pm: Edit

Very nice! Thank you!

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 07:27 pm: Edit

Yay!
Way to go, Lar!

By Mike Oliver (Mholiver) on Tuesday, January 28, 2014 - 10:48 pm: Edit

You did great Lar yahoooooooo!!!!!!!!

By Lawrence Bergen (Lar) on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 12:52 am: Edit

Ask me sometime about the special maps...I am working on a scenario for it with Chuck

You guys are very welcome. Feel free to post errors you find in the box here. Remember that if you find the Scenario errors they should be accompanied with a report format of:

Scenario Name: Error & Reference

If you have time to create scenario files and you have completed your final check please email it to me. I am compiling the scenarios you guys build and will release a second folder of scenarios built by you guys later down the road.

As for now I have many RL things to sort out so F&E is going to be placed on the back burner for a time. I will lurk and check in on you guys for occasional support.

I hope you enjoy the new box and scenarios.

Thanks ADB!!

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:12 am: Edit

SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

By Ted Fay (Catwhoeatsphoto) on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 10:15 am: Edit

Paul Franz also said this about getting Cyberboard to work on a mac.

Quote:

Ted,
I would grab VirtualBox (free VM solution), Parellels or VM Fussion and create a Windows VM and run Cyberboard in that. I would lean towards VM Fusion because they have software (for free) that will take a Windows installation on a PC and create a VM from that. Otherwise, you will need to grab a copy of Windows.

By Alec Macdonell (Kizy) on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 01:18 pm: Edit

I am going to try Cloudburst solo. I noticed that the Klingon North fleet is not on the map. It is defined but the token for the fleet is still with the fleet. It is a simple thing to fix but might not get noticed before the Klingon-Kzinti border goes active.

Also there appears to be a Gorn and Hydran diplomat in Orion space. I can not find the reference to these units.

By Jean Sexton (Jsexton) on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 03:26 pm: Edit

Folks, we are going to delete the old Cyberboard files on February 14. If you want to archive them, you will need to delete them before then.

Jean
WebMom

By Randy Blair (Randyblair) on Wednesday, January 29, 2014 - 04:46 pm: Edit

I am combining The Wind with the 624.0 scenario for those who want the ISC "Eastern War" to correspond with Turn 1.
If anyone is interested, please email me.

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation