Miniatures Updates

Star Fleet Universe Discussion Board: Starline 2400 Miniatures: Miniatures Updates
  Subtopic Posts   Updated
Archive through January 08, 2010  25   01/09 09:16am
Archive through February 14, 2010  25   02/20 09:40pm
Archive through March 16, 2010  25   03/16 05:41pm
Archive through March 22, 2010  25   03/30 12:06pm
Archive through April 15, 2010  25   04/30 07:11pm
Archive through June 07, 2010  25   06/09 06:38pm
Archive through July 13, 2010  25   07/27 03:19pm
Archive through August 06, 2010  25   08/29 05:57pm
Archive through November 12, 2010  25   11/12 09:14pm

Older posts from this area are archived HERE:
http://www.starfleetgames.com/miniatures.shtml
By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 06:53 pm: Edit

Guys, at 80,000 kilometers (overload range), I don't think visual cammo is going to be much of a factor.

By Troy Williams (Jungletoy) on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 07:16 pm: Edit

I think the Jindos would use it exclusively if anything.

By Shawn Hantke (Shantke) on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 07:57 pm: Edit

Then why do some Orion ships use a star field paint job?

If a cloaking device is just an EW style jammer, the why does the ship also disappear?

I think, the sensors and scanner tell you where to look for a ship or where it should be, and then you get a visual lock and the camera?? zooms in and you see the ship. I think a ship that is harder to see might be a little harder to identify or shoot, though probably not in game terms.

By Ken Burnside (Ken_Burnside) on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 09:02 pm: Edit

Bah.

Dazzle painting just looks frakkin' cool. :)

It's not like the Lyran 'tiger stripe' pattern helps them blend into the tall wavy grasses of interstellar space, while they lie in wait for their prey.

By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 09:14 pm: Edit

Shawn: Cuz they stealth, yo.

Plus they look dammed good.

By Loren Knight (Loren) on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 09:23 pm: Edit

Have any of you heard the story of the Dread Pirate Mc Greggor who became the Not So Dreaded Overly Concerned With His Ships Expensive Paint Job Mc Greggor?

Hmmm, gatling phaser or a phaser-3 and a cool paint job? Can you do a good Orion Slave Girl like my tat here on my arm? If you can I'll rename me ship "Little Sis".

By Dale McKee (Brigman) on Friday, November 12, 2010 - 09:27 pm: Edit

I can do a killer Orion slave girl, but her name is Shorty, don't get confused. ;)

By Xander Fulton (Dderidex) on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 03:35 am: Edit

I assume everyone *does* know that the 'dazzle painting' scheme didn't actually have anything to do with camouflage, right? At least, not as the word is usually meant and described, here.

Rather, it was an attempt (successful, too, actually) to screw around with the visual rangefinding equipment used to build a targeting solution. The visual rangefinders of the time used a few different methods to determine the angle from two visual sources to a target, but most principally involved a person looking into a display that was a composite image from two very distant (a dozen or so feet apart) lenses, and 'lining up' the image from each lens. Even submarine periscopes used a similar method with their stadimeters.

The 'dazzle pattern' made it - especially in 'low light' or hazy conditions - MUCH more difficult to really get a good alignment from the images in a rangefinder, and, thus, the true range to the target.

So...not so much about 'hiding' the ship, but more about 'making it really very difficult to accurately gauge distance to once shooting starts'.

By Mark S. Hoyle (Resartus) on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 10:02 am: Edit

Similar to the Bow Wave painted on ships later to make estimating Ship Speed more difficult --

Some of the Dazzle was designed so a viewer had trouble determining which was bow and which was aft -- confusing attackers in which was ship was moving --

By Jeremy Gray (Gray) on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 10:59 am: Edit

A useful link:

http://www.shipcamouflage.com/measures.htm

By Ken Burnside (Ken_Burnside) on Saturday, November 13, 2010 - 12:05 pm: Edit

So this means that an Orion BR should be painted flat black with the silhouette of an LR painted on the top and bottom of the hull going in the opposite direction.

Make sure the hellbores point out of the 'back' of the 'camouflage ships' engines.

"Sir, that LR has rear firing hellbores!"

"No wonder it's coming at us in reverse!"

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 06:35 pm: Edit

Ok guys- I would not normally make the extra effort to do this but think others will very much enjoy this. My wife commissioned a destroyed Fed cruiser from a guy who has painted several mini's for me and my collection.

This is still a work in progress but it so amazing I just had to share it with someone.

Enjoy-

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/skinnypeep/WreckedFed_zps3db9feae.jpg

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 07:07 pm: Edit

Can Jean put that on Facebook?

By Matthew Potter (Neonpico) on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 08:24 pm: Edit

Dooood... That is awesome work. Tell him I thought it was fantastic. ;)

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 08:57 pm: Edit

steve, go ahead and post on Facebook. The more people who see this one the better in my mind. Really special things don't happen often. If this isn't one of those times I don't know what is.

By Will McCammon (Djdood) on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 09:04 pm: Edit

Neat flame effects.

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 09:09 pm: Edit

He is still working details like name and hull number. Think this one will be the Eagle. Ncc1719

By Steve Cole (Stevecole) on Wednesday, December 19, 2012 - 11:13 pm: Edit

Eagle was a fast cruiser and wasn't shaped like that ship.

By Ryan Opel (Ryan) on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 07:33 am: Edit

USS Argincourt. Day 28.

By Paul Cordeiro (Ogoptimus) on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 11:35 am: Edit

That is some great work.

By Kosta Michalopoulos (Kosmic) on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 04:01 pm: Edit

That is some serious plasma damage. :)

By Bennett Eugene Snyder (Planner) on Thursday, December 20, 2012 - 09:13 pm: Edit

I'm glad I'm not Housekeeping.

By Jon Taylor (Vendetta) on Friday, December 21, 2012 - 10:52 am: Edit

Final version- unfortunately we didn't catch the hull number and name designation before the final touches were put on.

Maybe this one was repaired and turned into a Fast Cruiser. Bet we could come up with a great story over how that could have happened.

Hope you like it -

http://i91.photobucket.com/albums/k284/skinnypeep/DeadFed_zpsd8567e4c.jpg

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. A valid username and password combination is required to post messages to this discussion.
Username:  
Password:

Administrator's Control Panel -- Board Moderators Only
Administer Page | Delete Conversation | Close Conversation | Move Conversation