Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

8C8 Treasure Ship (CL#36) question re: shuttles and Marines

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: 8C8 Treasure Ship (CL#36) question re: shuttles and Marines Reply with quote

In the "Treasure Ship" scenario in CL#36, 8C8d says that a side can capture the freighter by getting two boarding parties over via transporters or shuttles. This made me wonder whether I really understood how shuttles work in this circumstance.

I understand that while the freighter in this scenario can't (normally) be fired upon, Marine raids can destroy power (and weapon) boxes. So is the implication that the shuttle could dock with the freighter if the freighter's power boxes had been destroyed, rendering it "stopped"?

Or is this handled by the revised (2D5c) from Briefing #1? If that's the case, then is the frieghter not considered an "enemy ship" but a neutral?

Or is there some other method I'm just not getting (which is quite possible Very Happy )?

Also, I'm probably just missing this, but while (5H5) says that shuttles can carry about 10 people, I can't see how that maps on to Marine boarding parties.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The rules update in Briefing #1 gives details on boarding parties and shuttles. Each shuttle can carry two boarding parties.
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
The rules update in Briefing #1 gives details on boarding parties and shuttles. Each shuttle can carry two boarding parties.

I missed that one. Thanks.

I'm still not totally sure how (2D5c) applies here, though. I presumed that the prohibition against landing on "enemy" ships was an indication that shuttles couldn't land on "unwilling" ships of any sort. I could see how this is something of a nitpick on my part, but I'm just wondering whether I'm reading that right.

(ETA: The other thing I'm having trouble with is probably just a more generic question of the relation of the revised (2D5c) and (5D5). (2D5c), under Self-Landing, indicates that a shuttle is basically landed by satisfying the movement requirement. It's not quite as clear for Assisted Landing whether the shuttle is more or less immediately landed after meeting the movement requirement and paying the tractor cost (assuming one has a tractor yet to pay). I'm assuming that the end result is the same: a landed shuttle in the same impulse as the shuttle is tractored. If I'm understanding that right, then (5D5)'s reference to destroying a shuttle in a tractor is a wholly different thing unrelated to landing.)
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The freighter in 8C8 is a special case. It is, in effect, "friendly" to both sides of the battle (as least as far as 2D5c goes). Therefore, either opponent can land a shuttle on the freighter using self-landing.

As for your parenthetical question, you understand correctly. In both self-landing and assisted landing, the shuttle lands that impulse. So, if a shuttle and ship* end the impulse in the same hex or adjacent hex, the ship can use assisted landing to put the shuttle right into a shuttle box. The shuttle is immediately removed from the map.

Since the use of the tractor beam is so transitory, there is indeed no direct interaction between (2D5c) and (5D5).

* Assuming the ship has an empty, undisabled shuttle box; no other shuttle has launched or landed this impulse; the ship has an unused tractor; the ship has an available point of power; and the ship is moving slow enough.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I also saw you basically address this same issue in the Stinger playtest thread. I think I now get that the speed limit on keeping a shuttle in a tractor is a tactic (largely) unrelated to landing a shuttle.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: