Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Burn Through
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:44 am    Post subject: Burn Through Reply with quote

You only get 1 point of burn through, as long as you score at least 10 points of damage, no matter how many points of damage you deal in a volley. Meaning you hit someone for 10 damage, then you'd put 9 on the shields and 1 inter. Or say you deal 20 damage, in which case you'd deal 19 to the shields and 1 internal. Am I correct in my understanding?
sock
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm 99% sure that it is one point of burn through for each 10 damage,

meaning
10-19 damage 1 pt burn through
20-29 2 pts burn through

etc
etc
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 6:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SylvrDragon has it correct. You only score one internal point of damage for the whole volley if it's doesn't penetrate the shields. Rule 3C8.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note that is an example, SVC clarified this issue:
You have a 10 box shield and the incoming fire does 10 points. How is this resolved?

In this case, 9 shield boxes are disabled and 1 point of burn-through is scored - leaving 1 active shield box!
SylvrDragon
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS wrote:
SylvrDragon has it correct. You only score one internal point of damage for the whole volley if it's doesn't penetrate the shields. Rule 3C8.

See, that's what I thought when I read the rules, but some of my friends contradicted me.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought there were more examples around somewhere, but I can't recall right now. If you look at the text of the rule 3C8 it says "score the remaining nine (ore more) damage points on the shield". So if you hit shield #1 of a B10 with 68 points of damage, you only get one internal hit, AND it's front shield is still up (with one point left)!

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Repok
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the question.

I never realized this until now. Most of the volleys against cruisers either did 11-19 pts or blew right through the shield, so we were all of the opinion it was 1 per 10. It just never came up really.

This brings up the question...are seeking weapons off of the same ship a different volley (like SFB) or same? I don't have the rules handy.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Repok wrote:

This brings up the question...are seeking weapons off of the same ship a different volley (like SFB) or same? I don't have the rules handy.

Rule (3A4) Volley Definition:
A Volley consists of all thedamage resulting from either:
(1) all of the Seeking Weapons which strike a single shield during a single Impulse, or
(2) all of the Direct Fire Weapons fired by a single ship (or single other unit) during a single Impulse (all of which must by the rules, strike a single shield).

So, by extension... all of the seeking weapons (from all ships) that strike a single shield in a single impulse are a volley.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW, Scoutdad is correct on the original issue, and this issue.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:

(2) all of the Direct Fire Weapons fired by a single ship (or single other unit) during a single Impulse (all of which must by the rules, strike a single shield).

That bit in the second paranthesis isn't entirely correct. Both the Hellbore and the Plasmatic Pulsar Device strike more than one shield. In both cases, the damage against each individual shield is counted as a distinct volley. Yes, this does mean that if a Hellbore is fired at a Federation CA, the CA can put up to four points of shield reinforcement into EACH of its shields (provided it has the free power).
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
Scoutdad wrote:

That bit in the second paranthesis isn't entirely correct. Both the Hellbore and the Plasmatic Pulsar Device strike more than one shield. In both cases, the damage against each individual shield is counted as a distinct volley. Yes, this does mean that if a Hellbore is fired at a Federation CA, the CA can put up to four points of shield reinforcement into EACH of its shields (provided it has the free power).

There's also the exception for weapons fired at the same time as a web cracker/shield breaker

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Touche'!

Hellbores, PPD, and Web Breaker are indeed exceptions to thisrule, but as they were either 1) published after the version 4 rulebook was released, or 2) have not yet been "officially" printed - can I be forgiven for overlooking them? Rolling Eyes

That particular statement probably does need to be addressed in the version 5 rulebook. Oh Mike, can you add a note to have the latter portion of rule (3A4) checked against possible exceptions when version 5 is released?

Thanks,
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries. The Hellbore and Plasmatic Pulsar Device are both rather easy to overlook. But they do need to be mentioned simply because of the unique way in which they handle volleys (the FedCom version of The Mizia Effect, if you can get enough shields down).
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PPD's and web-breakers / shield crackers I should have caught. Hellbores OTOH, I try very hard to ignore as it was developed by and is the primary weapon of those "insert favorite invective here" Wink
Vladimyr
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've noticed that if you have a 10 point shield and also have armor remaining, then if you take 11 or 12 damage, don't reinforce, as the burn through ignores armor. If you let those minor points penetrate the shield, it damages the armor instead.

Is this correct?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: