Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seltorian Advantage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 12:48 pm    Post subject: Seltorian Advantage Reply with quote

A friend and I tested the wyn and seltorian light cruisers a couple days ago and as the seltorian player, i got pasted. I am a fairly experianced SFB player, having played since the 80s, and I have played FC for around 5-6 months now.

Examining the ships I find the Wyn to be far superior, unless im missing something. The Wyn light cruiser has 4 very wide arc disruptors, and 6 ph-1 with excellent arcs as well. in addition it also has 2 drones and 2 option mounts, which my opponent took as drones. To top all that off the Wyn has a great turn mode and thick shields.

By contrast the seltorian has 3 particle canons, 2 web breakers, 6 phaser 1s, and 4 phas-3s. the phasers are on split arcs. add to that a turn mode that makes the ship turn like a bus and I have a hard time finding the ship very effective against the Wyn, or probably any other opponent outside a neo-tholian.

So I expect I am probably missing something. Clearly the point values are assigned correctly using some formulas I am unaware of, so where is the hidden power in these seltorian ships? I would love some advice Smile
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats some of the problem with the Seltorian they are very good at what they do (kill Tholians), they are not so hot outside that.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Seltorians are an enigma wrapped in a puzzle... anyway, I've never gotten 'em down. The Particle Cannon, I think, is the key to them; how to use it and how to pair it successfully with the Shield Breaker and phasers.

One question, did you run a head to head duel or did you use the WYN Radiation Zone rules?

jmt

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

head to head duel. I havent looked at the wyn radiation zone rules. Yeah its a strange race. I have had little sucess with them as well.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow - without the WYN Rad rules, I figured a equal pointed duel would favor the Wyn's opponent.

Hrm...

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am nto familiar with the Rad rules, so I just let the ship fly normally with what it had.

the break down tho is

4 disr, 6 phas-1, 4 drones and some phas-3s
vs
3 pc, 6 ph-1, 2 wb, 4 ph-3.

with the crap turn mode, split arcs and limited range secondary weapon it just deosnt seem feasable that the seltorian would have a chance. perhaps the radiation rules hold the key, whats that all about anyway, does it weaken them or something?
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wyn radation rules mean that any non-wyn fighting within the radation area are pretty hurt by it. (Ithink shields are reducded and systems knocked off line.)

The big advantage of the Seletorins is rapid fire heavy weapons (2 shots a turn) and the Shield breaker.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrFaustus wrote:
The wyn radation rules mean that any non-wyn fighting within the radation area are pretty hurt by it. (Ithink shields are reducded and systems knocked off line.)

The big advantage of the Seletorins is rapid fire heavy weapons (2 shots a turn) and the Shield breaker.

yeah I could see the shield breaker might be somewhat useful, but in this peticular case, the wyn was able to out manuver and keep distance while still plinging with disruptors (fh arcs are pretty wide) and combining waves of drones. It made it very difficult to wear him down. We went thru about 6 turns of cat and mouse before I finally conceded with several shields down and not much damage on him. He was able to easily stay out of shield cracker range, which is limited to 10.

I think in order for that light cruiser to be more effective it needed about 2 more points of power and an additional PC, and probably a turn mode C.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jmt wrote:
Wow - without the WYN Rad rules, I figured a equal pointed duel would favor the Wyn's opponent.

It sounds as if his opponent was using one of the WYN 'fish' ships (the Orca CW?), in which case the ship should be roughly on par with any other warship of equal points value.

If someone can outmaneuver you with an Auxilliary Battlecruiser, then you've got more important problems than trying to figure out how to properly use the Particle Cannon...

^^;;
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah he wasnt using the modified frieghter LOL.

those fish ships are pretty amazing for thier point value tho. lots of phasers, lots of heavy weps and lots of drones.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Though not mentioned in Distant Kingdoms, the SFB background basically states that the Orion shipyard in the Cluster (which was seized by the Usurper during the General War) was used to build the ships. Thus, they are basically Orion ships (note the general similarities in shape) that are built for regular combat as opposed to optomized for raiding.

So while they're not as maneuverable as Orions, they'll still run circles around most other ships. Unfortunately I haven't had any experience playing against them personally. Nor have I taken a good look at their ship display cards. So I can't really offer any pointers on fighting them.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they can be tough, but not invincible. mostly its like fighting a kzinti. just dont try it with a seltorian Smile
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you might have missed (just guessing) is that you can fire on drones with any weapon without penalty. It took me awhile to get over that one. I was so used to only firing phasers at drones because of the penalties in SFB that I never even considered using non-phaser weapons against drones.

Other than that, try going faster than him and closing the range. I'm not totally sure on this, but I think you have the bigger ship so you can take his disruptor hits easier than he can take your PC hits. By going faster, you overcome the limited turn mode by moving more often than he does (I got hit with that flying a Klingon vs Fed years ago in SFB, he got on my tail and I couldn't shake him because he was moving faster). Your turns are wider, but you're still flying circles around him (big ones, but still circles). By being close, you can dramatically change firing arcs with a single turn (it's harder to change arcs from long range). Additionally, if you can't turn, you can change arcs by flying by him (you are going faster).

Finally, don't forget about HETs. They can really ruin your opponents day when he thinks you can't turn and acts accordingly.

Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe I have seen a clarification that drones may only be fired at by other drones and by phasers...

=====
Sandpaper gets the job done, but makes for a lot of friction.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
I believe I have seen a clarification that drones may only be fired at by other drones and by phasers...

Nope. Drones may be fired at by pretty much anything.

Well, during the Offensive Fire phase, prior to impact, drones may be fired at by pretty much any weapon in the game. After impact, of course, during the Defensive Fire phase only the target may fire, and the weapons choices are more limited (phasers, ADDs, snares, ESGs).

Now, plasmas may only be damaged by phasers, in either phase.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: