Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

F&E commander
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpat
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vladimyr wrote:
Forgive my ignorance, but what is VBAM?

You weren't the only one who didn't know, so thanks for asking.

This all sounds quite cool, although I barely get time for Fleet Scale duels. Very Happy
Finarvyn
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, an official "General War" scenario with hundreds of ships would be a pain (and pretty much impossible to run), but a smaller and more generic campaign mught be fun!

I think what I would do is to xerox off a bunch of SSD forms, assign a ship name to each, and keep them all in a notebook. That way if a ship sustained damage I could keep the boxes crossed off in case they have another enounter before all of the damage is fixed.

Could be a lot of details to keep track of, but if I scale down the total forces for each faction I might be able to keep it under control.

At least, that's my thought at the moment. Cool
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay, someone else using the FRA flag!

Oh, Aurora, we love you...

Anyway, though I hope that the Invasion games can be done, I'm wary about (re-)posting the ideas I had before about this, since it caused more trouble than it was worth for all concerned.

(I have a troubling habit, in that the typical effect of my contributive efforts seem to be inversely proportional to the intent behind them.)

I suppose there will be time enough for that sort of thing, if/when the time comes for the floor to be opened for such suggestions.

Whether anyone would find interest in any of them is, of course, another matter.
Charles Lewis
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to hop over to the VBAM Games forums and make all the suggestions you like. Smile

www.vbamgames.com
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not quite so easy...

Last time around, I posted a list of ideas that I wanted to put forth for the Invasion box sets, with the intent of sparking ideas in people's minds for what such a game might look like.

However, someone thought that I was talking about a game that was actually in production, or that was set to be released - and it caused headaches for ADB when they were trying to clear the matter up.

I didn't even realise what had happened until I was told about it later.

So when it comes to the whole Invasion thing, I want to wait until a time when, or if, ADB are looking for suggestions - and have a dedicated topic for just such ideas.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know that I will ever be looking for suggestions for Invasion. When I want to do it, I will do it without suggestions. I'm a game designer and don't need people to do it for me. Right now I'm thinking 2010.
gar1138
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look forward to the Invasion product with great anticipation!

Garrett
Charles Lewis
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are familiar at all with the VBAM system, and have ideas you'd like to see implemented in the VBAM:FC product, our forums are the place for that, and what I was suggesting.

Any future ADB products are purely SVC's domain, and I certainly didn't mean to imply otherwise. We are extremely excited to have been given access to the SFU, but we'll stay in our corner. Wink

www.vbamgames.com
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment, I'm not familiar with VBAM - is there an introductory pdf anywhere which details some of the basic concepts (a kind of VBAM equivalent of FC: First Missions) for newcomers to the system?

And just to clarify, is VBAM set at a level which would be consdiered a stepping stone between the starship-level actions of FC and SFB, and the empire-level actions of Fed and Empire?
Charles Lewis
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not per se...There are some campaign diaries on our yahoo group that would give you a feel for the system.

By default, VBAM is actually at a level higher than F&E - a player typically has total control over his race. However, VBAM features a modular rule set that is easily modified, and can adapt to much lower level games as desired. The majority of the scenarios being planned for the first VBAM:FC product are at a much lower level than F&E and would be the next step or two up from FC/SFB - the intent is to put the player into the shoes of a commodore or rear admiral in charge of a portion of the border up to maybe a fleet commander based at a Starbase further back.

www.vbamgames.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Federation & Empire All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: