Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

OH, WV, KY. Tri state boarder region.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Local Groups & Retailers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Predator06
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: OH, WV, KY. Tri state boarder region. Reply with quote

Hello!

Here is the Mournful cry of thousands of SFB players since the game was created.

No one in my area seems to play! I Love the game. Always have, always will.
Started playing when the only rulebook available was LIGHT BLUE. I have a massive hoard of minis for every race. I used to play quite extensively. And was what you might call a serious fanatic. Of Course, after moving around the planet a few times, I haven’t Ben able to play more than four times in the past 15 years. And the last time was about 7 years ago.

I am interested in trying out the new Fed Commander rules set.
Why did it have to be called FED commander? Why not Klingon commander, Lyran commander, or people of alternate races commander? I swear the game designer must be a human. (The OTHER white meat.) And I would like to find someone in my region who is interested in learning the rules set with me, before I run out and dump allot of cash on new stuff.

So, if you are lost in space, with no one to play with, (like me)
Let me know, and we can work on creating a Local group of regulars.

I Live in OHIO, just across the Ohio River from Huntington WV, and about a 20 min drive from Ashland KY.

So drop me an E-line, and we can flame some flat heads, or exterminate some Kzinti vermin. (Any one up for a nice Hydran Flambé? I know a place on Klingshai with reasonable prices, and a Chef who knows how to cook em without the Commonly Explosive result. However, I Must warn you, that the De-hydrogenating Process dose tend to eliminate much of the flavor!)

Long Live the Star Empire!
And glory to The Foremost clan.
Vanessa

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OH, WV, KY. Tri state boarder region. Reply with quote

Predator06 wrote:
Hello!

Here is the Mournful cry of thousands of SFB players since the game was created.

No one in my area seems to play! I Love the game. Always have, always will.
Started playing when the only rulebook available was LIGHT BLUE. I have a massive hoard of minis for every race. I used to play quite extensively. And was what you might call a serious fanatic. Of Course, after moving around the planet a few times, I haven’t Ben able to play more than four times in the past 15 years. And the last time was about 7 years ago.

I am interested in trying out the new Fed Commander rules set.
Why did it have to be called FED commander? Why not Klingon commander, Lyran commander, or people of alternate races commander? I swear the game designer must be a human. (The OTHER white meat.) And I would like to find someone in my region who is interested in learning the rules set with me, before I run out and dump allot of cash on new stuff.

So, if you are lost in space, with no one to play with, (like me)
Let me know, and we can work on creating a Local group of regulars.

I Live in OHIO, just across the Ohio River from Huntington WV, and about a 20 min drive from Ashland KY.

So drop me an E-line, and we can flame some flat heads, or exterminate some Kzinti vermin. (Any one up for a nice Hydran Flambé? I know a place on Klingshai with reasonable prices, and a Chef who knows how to cook em without the Commonly Explosive result. However, I Must warn you, that the De-hydrogenating Process dose tend to eliminate much of the flavor!)

Long Live the Star Empire!
And glory to The Foremost clan.
Very Happy Have you tried registering...if you go to the Legacy site and request a list of players...I can send you people (hopefully) in your area...it's updated all the time so if you did it a year ago without good results, you might try again.
Predator06
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh yes. I did register for the star list a few days ago. (Will receive that list in the Mail or by E-mail?) Just today I discovered the other resources for locating allies. But to my dismay, they are all on average 2.5 hours away. With the exception of one guy in KY who is 65 minutes away. (Which isn’t too bad I guess. If he’s still around and still interested)

I Just miss the good old days back in Colorado, when you could find a group at the drop of a hat. Crying or Very sad
Vanessa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm...if you did that a few days ago, I should have already responded. It may have slipped through the cracks...can you register again?
Predator06
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: . Reply with quote

OK, I re-posted the info on the starlist web form. (on the legacy sight)

with this message, in case it failed again.

Hello! I Actually live practically right on the tri-state boarder of WV, OH, and KY.

I used to play SFB quite extensively. However, for many years now I haven’t been able to find any one to play with in my area who knows the game. And the locals who are available at my local game store aren’t going to have the patience for something like SFB.

However, I do love the game, and I am intrigued by this new Federation commander system. It appears to be Easy to learn, and teach. It also seems to have the same Flavor as SFB. I will be ordering it soon. And would like to learn it with either an old SFB hand like myself, or someone who knows the system. I Am also still up for a good old-fashioned SFB Slug out with someone who plays the game.

I Have Hoards of miniatures for all the races they make minis for. And if you wana get together, we can throw some pretty spectacular games, and probably recruit some new players to.

So, Lets form a group!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Predator,

I feel your pain. I have been playing SFB since the pocket box days (1979 or so) and have watched the local group dwindle, the grow, then dwindle, then grow... and grow... and grow...

We have a similar but different problem in our neck of the woods. We currently have over 2 dozen active players of SFB and Federation Commander, but since we all have families, jobs, and real lives... it's hard to get more than 2 or 3 together at any one time. Last spring, we'd schedule one big game day 5 to 6 weeks in advance and everyone would try to keep that day clear so we'd get 6 to 10 players but lately real life has prevented even that although things are looking up Very Happy and we've been playing more regularly.

I have found a couple of things that might help you out.

1) Federation Commander by Email. I'm in the middle of a fleet scale battle right now. My 4 Klingon ships against Kerry Drake's 4 Kzinti ships. I think it's on the down hill side, but you never know.

(as a side note, MAN! 4 Kzinti ships can launch a bunch of drones! Sad

2) Have you registered for the Commanders Circle yet? I search for ne3w members (by state) on a regular basis and have found a couple of new players in my area.

3) Local game stores. I spoke to the owner of one and found out that he had sold 5 copies of FC since I got mine. I couldn't get (and didn't expect to get) contact info from the owner, but each of the purchasers had ordered Klingon Attack, so I did get permission to attach my business card to the shrink wrap of each one that was on hold and included my contact info and a request for a game. I haven't been able to get together with any of them yet (they meet on Tuesday mornings!!!) but am hopeful.

4) Local game stores. The store closest to the house runs an electronic message board. I posted data about monthly demos and games there and have answered a lot of questions about the game. This has led to the introduction of a couple of new members into Battelgroup Murfreesboro (and 1 is even learning SFB and has bought the BM set).

5) Kids. Get married, have kids (try for boys... not necessary but it helps), let them grow to teens, and then teach them FC. OK I'm kidding but my kidsall love to play SFB and Federation Commander - so at least can get in a game or two almost anytime I feel like one.
Vanessa

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you 2 tried the SFB Online and/or the Play by Email? I know it isn't the "same" as doing it all in person, face to face...but at least you still get to play. Laughing
Predator06
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I Downloaded the free intro version of fed commander. I then brought it to my game store on Friday, with my map and minis, and before I knew it I had 2 other people playing who had never played SFB before. I did it again on Saturday, and again had some random interest.

As we were playing, I had a Klingon B10V battle ship miniature sitting on the table, (just there to look mean, it wasn’t in play) and a guy walked up and said Hey! That’s a Klingon B-10 isn’t it?

I don’t know how many of them will come back, but they all seemed to enjoy themselves. And I Am pretty sure I will see the Old school SFB player back again. (He didn’t play, but he showed some interest, and I got his contact info)

I Plan to run it all again this Friday with all the shiny new stuff I got. I think it will be a hit.

I just wish the Lyran / Hydran module were released sooner. I Love the smell of hellbore / ESG interaction in the mourning. It smells like Lyran victory!
Very Happy
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanessa... I love the SFBOL system. I haven't done the SFBeM yet, but I am involved in a FCeM game.

Predator... Funny thing happened last week. I printed out the latest incarnation of the Tholian Attack playtest rules before I left work on Thursday so we've have them for a couple of Tholian battles over the holidays... Then I got busy with a client phone call and forgot to pick them up. Friday at the company Christmas party, one of the Geotech staffers comes over and asked if I had been copying SFB rules? I hada V8 moment and then said, "Yes. Why, did you pick them up?" and he responded with the unexpected reply, "I accidentally picked them up with soem of my printouts. Man, I haven't played Star Fleet Battles in years and didn't even know it was still in print!"

so guess who got invited to our next gaming session. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Local Groups & Retailers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: