Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Romulan tactics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Romulan tactics Reply with quote

I am about to try a romulan in Fedcom for the first time. The last romulan I flew was in SFB many many years ago. I am finding however that the romulans are grossly under represented in our group of about 15 guys.

Therefore I want to show the rest of the group that romulans can be very dangerous, and perhaps we will see them more often.

So some quick tactics, some tips to flying them, etc could be of great help to me.
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Romulans have great maneuverability and a great suite of Phasers..Rely on your P-1's as your main firepower.

Plasmas are great at really close range, or when you know your opponent can't get away from them.

don't be afraid to bolt plasmas.

Don't forget about using tractors to slow down your opponent to ensure a plasma strike.

Use plasma launches to influence enemy movement. Take advantage of ships in the opposing fleet with different turn modes, or who turn at different times. Time launches such that you can cause an enemy fleet to be broken up to avoid plasmas and then gang up on, and gain temporary local superiority against, some part of the fleet.

Keep your speed up.

Personally, I almost never use the cloaking device as it restricts you to moving no more than twice in an impulse.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, a few points to remember.

1) Expect your opponent to fly *fast*. Anyone flying against a plasma ship will usually be going base speed 24. If they aren't, be sure to make them pay with seeking plasma. (They will probably only do this once; expect them to go fast the next time.)

While this is a pain (it is very hard to hit a fast target with seeking plasma), it does reduce his options. With all of that power going to speed, he won't have a good chance for other options, like EM, HET, overloads, or firing all phasers. *Something* has to give when he is going that fast.

2) Often the *threat* of plasma is more important that actually using the plasma. Therefore, unless you are guaranteed that it is going to hit (see previous point), don't blow the whole wad all at once.

This is especially important given the first point. Once you are completely empty, you give your opponent a chance to slow down, thereby increasing his options. By holding back, you make him keep his speed up.

(Obviously, this point isn't really relevant when you only have a single plasma. If you have it, use it. But, if you have more than one plasma, keep this point in mind.)

3) Don't forget that you can reload your Pl-S and Pl-G (and Pl-R, but I figure you want that to be full strength) in two turns as a Pl-F. You probably won't have to do this very often, but it is important, especially in light of point #2.

4) Don't be afraid to bolt. (See point #1.) If he won't slow down, go ahead and bolt, then run away yourself for a turn or so. Just because he won't play your game doesn't mean you have to play his game.

Also, plasma bolts have an odd little "glory range" of 9-10 hexes where you can do what effectively amounts to overload damage with a 50% chance to hit, but he is still outside overload range. It is hard to take advantage of it, but it is there.

5) You have a cloak. Don't be afraid to use it. It will really screw up most direct fire weapons because of the 50% (round *down*) damage reduction and +4 range. Just remember you have to come up some time.

Just remember that when you cloak you surrender initiative. If he doesn't fire, be prepared for the big blast when you come up. Make sure you can hit him as hard as he hits you.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I had my chance last night with the romulans. I had set up a free for all, dreadoughts of your choice. I took the romulan K9R, there was also a Hydran paladin with full fighters, the Gorn dread, and the Federation plasma armed.

Tried first to goad the Hydran into unloading those hellbores but instead he ran off behind a pile of asteriods. I broke off from him going about speed 24, and met up with the Gorn. the Gorn and I joined forces and did minor damage to the hydran. thru the asteriods. did soem shield damage and picked off a couple fighters only however as he made very good use of the terrain. meanwhile the fed managed to get caught up and was planning on taking us out. this is where the cloak came in handy. I cloaked and positioned myself between the fed and the gorn. Forcing him to either shoot me cloaked or fly past me and shoot the gorn. He decided to do both. he closed to range zero, unloaded 4 fully OL phots, and 8 ph-1. banged up the #1 shield but nothing serious. he then flew past and decided to fight the gorn with his other 2 phot, plasma, drones and remaining phasers. The gorn and him exchanged fire at range 1, but the Gorn had most of his plasma ready to go, so the fed ended up taking 120 internals only to do abotu 40 to the Gorn.

The problem is now, the Hydran was not being monitored, and took advantage of the distraction to close in fast. by this time I had come out fo the cloak to open fire on the fed, but changed my mind when he took 120 internals. and noticing the hydran on his way. So I advised my gorn comrade to start moving off at max speed to get some asteriods between him and the hellbores, and I followed along behind. we didnt gain much distance but we did manage to get several hexes of asteriods between us, which forced the Hydran to move faster to get those hexes out of the way. As soon as he commited to it by turning, we both did HETs.

I excellerated to 16+1 and gained a couple hexes, enough to push just past the asteriods so they were still between us but my plasma didnt have to go thru them to close range. I fired the whole load, with the hydran about 10 hexes out and closing at 16. Then during other functions I emptied the batteries and what I had left of power and began the cloak. The Hydran lauched all of his remaining fighters and barrled forward, strait into the path of the plasma. He then let loose 4 OL hellbores on the Gorn, all 4 hit. 40 more internals to the gorn and a bunch of additional shield damage. but the gorn still had teeth and also fired a stack of phasers and a 2 turn F. Now with 6 plasma on the board he decided to start shooting them with the fighter ph-Gs. That wasnt quite enoguh to stop all that plasma tho and the Ss and the R hit his #1 shield. He had used up his power firing the hellbores and oing allt he excelleration and had no power for defensive fire so the plasma got the full effect. Ultimatly he took 70+ internals and to add insult to injury the fed DN fired 4 ph-1 at range 5 at him.

I however remained untouched excpet for some shield damage and well protected which I thought was damned cool. The romulans paid off well for me and I think these guys got to see them played with some sucess. Perhaps now we will see them played more on game nights.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report. The cloak is very handy when there are multiple targets. If some targets are cloaked and others are not, most players will shoot one of the uncloaked ships. The logic being why gamble on a tough shot for a little damage when there's an easy shot for lots of damage.

Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word of advice...next time you have a free-for-all like that and you select the Romulan, don't expect anyone to "ally" with you. They will remember your Romulan treachery and how you used your cloak to force enemy fire on their ships.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Romulans have always been known for treachery. Play the gorn next time, as you'll still have plasma, but mabey they won't worry about the cloaking device. At least they won't team up on you.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one teamed up on me. the reason i cloaked the first time was to discourage our federation enemy to go elsewhere for his sport. The second time was, well, survival. Sorry my Gorn freind, but at least your not dead Smile
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant next time you play.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
I meant next time you play.

Our next battle is tuesday, I am going to fly a pair of romulans, lets see what happens Smile
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck! Wink
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx I am going to need it.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I was saying was that if you make an alliance during a free-for-all game and, as a Romulan, you cloak to save your own ship and your ally is left as the only viable target for the enemy ship that is closing in, he will remember that the next time you play.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's why the Gorn and Romulans are enemies! Very Happy
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
All I was saying was that if you make an alliance during a free-for-all game and, as a Romulan, you cloak to save your own ship and your ally is left as the only viable target for the enemy ship that is closing in, he will remember that the next time you play.

Yeah I am aware. but like I said, the first cloak was to protect him, which actually worked well. The second cloak was under circumstances he agreed to. Basically I had most of the fire power and full shields. He didnt have to HET with me but wanted in and beating up the hydran, dispite the consequences.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: