Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tholian Saber Dance?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
.....but keep battery power

that's a given Cool
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
.....but keep battery power

It depends. It ALWAYS depends.

If your opponent is going to turn a new shield toward you, and those few points of battery power could mean another dozen points of internal damage, then by all means burn the batteries.

You've got them for a reason, after all.
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
If your opponent is going to turn a new shield toward you, and those few points of battery power could mean another dozen points of internal damage, then by all means burn the batteries.

You've got them for a reason, after all.

The discussion at hand is revolving around range 9-15 combat. A couple of points to weapons at this range would result in at best a couple of points of additional damage. However, having those points available the following turn where you might end up at range 0-1, could well indeed help generate 30, 40, 50, 60 or more points of damage if they allow you to anchor your opponent and allow those plasmas or drones impact, OL those photons, OL those DISR, fire those P-1's at range 0, etc.

So at 9-15, under almost any conceivable circumstance, holding back a few phasers or a DISR or two, to have the energy available the next turn is the advisable course of action, in my opinion.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I've already done enough to knock a shield down (something I implied), then even at that range I think I'd be tempted to drop the points into weapons.

A few extra points next turn might make a difference. But if it looks like we're going to be closing early in the turn (as opposed to later) I might not worry so much about it. A few extra points to arm weapons can usually be saved through the accelerations and decelerations that I don't perform during the last few impulses of the turn (since I presumeably don't need to close after firing my weapons earlier in the turn).
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with junior...it depends. I prefer to keep my ph-1's for opportunity fire and use my Heavy weapons to knock down shields. On Impulse 8, I might keep batteries or fire the weapons. All depends on what my plan is for the next turn

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it depends somewhat, but my "plan" would be to save enregy anyway, so I'd still be carrying that out. To me, batteries are energy boxes that help protect sheilds.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
I guess it depends somewhat, but my "plan" would be to save enregy anyway, so I'd still be carrying that out. To me, batteries are energy boxes that help protect sheilds.

Err...

It doesn't matter whether or not your batteries are full when you're allocating shield reinforcement. The only thing that matters is that the batteries haven't been disabled.

Ultimately, there's no "right" answer to the question of whether or not to burn your batteries. The key is to recognize what works best with your own general strategy and then recognize when you need to disregard that rule.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that, but I always like to have the Ecsess power if at all posible. Of coures there are exceptions...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: