Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fighters and drones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sir Drake
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Fighters and drones Reply with quote

hey all this is a test of using photo bucket hope it works!

let me know how the pic and/or the figs look. I started with some cheap plastic space ships that I got form American Science and surplus several years ago. To make the drones I clipped the wings short and flipped them over.I glued them to pennies and primered and panted all in all only about 2 hours. These should be making an entrance in to the Sacramento Caimpain unless some one has better.

http://i276.photobucket.com/albums/kk15/danldrake/100_0329.jpg
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! Those are perfect - and fairly inexpensive, too.

Good work.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir Drake -

Those are really nicely done. How much did you end up needing to invest to get the plastic ships to use as the basis?

I might have to go see what Archie McPhee's has that is similar.

Tony?!?

Don't you have a big convention to drive to? Wink
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perfect size Sir Drake. It looks like you can get about 3 of them in a hex. Yes I went and grabbed a penny to check.

You also did a good job on the stripes. Did you use tape? If you did not use tape I think that one of those minitature painting companies will be planning to steal you soon to work for them.

djdood, I loaned scoutdad my transporter for a couple of days, so I think he will be okay Very Happy.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:

Tony?!?

Don't you have a big convention to drive to? Wink

Pfffffttt! You've obviously never ridden with any of the Thomas family piloting, errrr... I mean driving.

Actually, we leave at 6:00 Wednesday morning. Scott R. is driving, the rest of us will be playing Formula De' for 7 hours...

You gotta love notebook computers, DC inverters, and computer games.

Actually, I picked up 4 squadrons of aerotech fighters on clearance (~$2.00 a pack) when one of our FLGS shut down. I painted them to represent Federation fighters. I couldn't afford them at regular price, but that was too good a deal to pass up. I need to photo them and post it when I get back.

Someone remind me.
Sir Drake
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for your kind words.
American Science and surplus still have the plastic figures. Its $1.00 for 96 of them so with the 1cent bases looks like the primer and clear coat cost more than anything else Razz here is a cut and paste from their site:

"Buck Rogers!!
We have pieces from a Buck Rogers game called, we are told, “Buck Rogers Battle for the 25th Century.” Except for the Gun Pods, which are all dark grey, the pieces are all assortments of: green, yellow, blue, purple, brown and violet. The pieces: Gunpods, Fighter Planes, War Birds, Space Shuttles, and troops. Mostly they are around 1” in the largest dimension. Note: we show the quantity pre-packed in a bag in the listing. You get one bag for the price shown.

27785 BR FIGHTER PLANES, (96) $1.00 EACH "

As for the stripes I did them all by hand, the ones on the wing I layed down the white first with a wide er brush and then did the color with a 5/0 brush from eM4 miniatures. The black on the missle I did with the same brush. I find that a good brush and holding on to the hand holding the fig with the hand with the brush works the best. basicly I wrap my pinky, ring and midle finger around the hand holding the mini. that way the only thing moving relative to the mini is the thumb and index finger holding the brush. I have spent alot of time panting 15mm armys for DBA so small figs don't bother me.
Again thanks for the kind response it inspires me to do more.

Daniel

P.S. looks like they have some old Captains logs and random stuff 5 for a couple bucks at AS and S also
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. I searched around and didn't find a listing for the Captains Logs. Did you happen to catch the item #?

EDIT:
Never-mind. I found it. Item# 32420

In category -
Home / Adult and Kid Toys / Fantasy Creatures and Toys

I'm gonna have to buy some of the fighters, they're just to cheap to pass up.
Here's more pictures of them from Board Game Geek.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spoke with "C.J." at Amer. Sci. & Surplus and should be able to get the full range of whatever Captain's Logs they have when I go up for a brief stint at FermiLab near Chicago in a couple of weeks. There is an Amer. Sci. & Surplus outlet store there that I have visited before. He said he would pull them in the warehouse and send them over to have them held for me. Very friendly and good service. I've bought from them before and have never been disappointed. I couldn't believe the prices, though. They must have come across those Logs in some kind of closeout sale and got them for next to nothing.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just found out that the Captain's Logs that A. S. & S. has are #11, 12, 13, 15, and 16.

I assume that the 5-packs they are selling also contain other ST role playing booklets. All I'm interested in are the CL's.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
They must have come across those Logs in some kind of closeout sale and got them for next to nothing.

I'm pretty sure they did. Archie McPhee's here in Seattle (which is similar to AS&S, but way more focused on kitsch) had a bunch of the old Prime Directive books last year, for $.99 each.

If I had to guess (and this is indeed a guess), maybe this all the stock from the last version of Task Force Games that had to be liquidated when they went out of business.
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Nicely done. Always nice to see people's takes on "minis" that aren't yet available.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: