Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flash on NCL and Dreadnought

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Flash on NCL and Dreadnought Reply with quote

How do you master modelers get the Flash out of the Fed NCL/NCA that has built up on the wall of the Hull and the Engine housing. If you start at the U around the command module it is the two spots behind the Command module. (even with a dremel it looks like if I bore these out I will lose a lot from the feature around the command module Sad ).

Also the FED DN, Is the mold really old because my saucer section looks funky, almost lopsided.

Out of all 80 miniatures I have bought so far (not one is fully painted yet Very Happy ) these two and the Klingon C9 are the only ones I am not perfectly contented with .

Here is my first hands free attempt for a Rom. Smile

[/img]
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the flash, I use a set of fine needle files, exacto knives, sand paper, and sanding sticks to get the flash cleaned out.

I like the Rom as well. Is the bird free-handed or is it a decal?
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall any major flash problems with my NCL's and NCA's, but I cleaned, primed, and base-coated them last year so I might have forgotten.

I guess I'm not following with where the flash problem is. Are you afraid of losing the ribbed details (the grilles) on either side of the "spine" on the top of the saucer?

That bird on the Romulan is great. I wish I could freehand details like that, but I'm stuck with decals for a decent look.

The metal Fed DNG (Improved/Refitted Dreadnought) is a fairly recent mold (and is used for the DNH too, and was the basis for the BB saucer). I'm assuming you're not talking about the plastic DN, cause those were all molded years and years ago and have been s-l-o-w-l-y been getting sold off ever since.
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad: That was freehanded, but I cheated and drew an outline on there with a very fine ink pen. I was suprised at the outcome because I am a horrible painter lol.

DJ: Yes I am afraid of losing the ribbing at the top. There are "clumps" of pewter buildup on both sides, I am not sure if it will show up well in a pick but I will give it a shot before church this morning. Also is the dradnought in Squadron Box 1 the same as the DNG, if so it seems lopsided.

Also thanks for the kind words Very Happy
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is the pic. Not the best view (Using my camera phone lawl) but I think you should be able to see it.

Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is quite a bit worse than the flash typically seen on a Federation NCL. Was that one possibly from a "factory seconds" bag?

You're going to have to be very careful removing that excess material or you will indeed lose some of the ribbing in the impulse engine details. You can re-carve any lost detail with a fine Exact-O blade - but it would be easier to not have to do so.

Good luck.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The biggest thing is that if you believe you have received a defective miniature (which does happen), then please contact Leanna (at the sales@s... email). She will help make it right. Steve may want to better understand the problem, too, but from everything I have seen talked about on the forums shows that ADB will try to make it right.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got 4 that look exactly like that in a border box Sad I would rather not waste ADB's money returning them. (I got a rotary tool today Smile I am going to try and get it out myself. Worst comes to worst and they will look a little funky. No Biggie. I was just hoping this was an issue you may have faced before.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go ahead and contact ADB anyways. You have a picture to prove that you have a *real* dud (and four of them apparently). I've never seen flash there on an NCL, and that is going to be really hard to remove without ruining the mini.

I'm sure they'll replace them, and they will want to. Bad product always gets corrected by ADB (on the rare occasions it sneaks out).
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The few NCL/CA that I have all look like that. I've had to pretty much use a rotary tool to clean them up. I figure if I'm going to lose detail then I'll use the tool to totally "fix" the area so any lost detail is the same on both sides.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
I would go ahead and contact ADB anyways. You have a picture to prove that you have a *real* dud (and four of them apparently). I've never seen flash there on an NCL, and that is going to be really hard to remove without ruining the mini.

I'm sure they'll replace them, and they will want to. Bad product always gets corrected by ADB (on the rare occasions it sneaks out).

Would that count on a badly laminated ship card from klingon border I bought a year ago and have already used and can't erase the writing because it's not laminated?
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
djdood wrote:
Bad product always gets corrected by ADB (on the rare occasions it sneaks out).

Would that count on a badly laminated ship card from klingon border I bought a year ago and have already used and can't erase the writing because it's not laminated?

Yes. Please contact Leanna at sales@starf...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, thanks! (Time for a new patrol corvette Mr. Green )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: