Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HET and move?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
HowieTallGuy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: HET and move? Reply with quote

If I understand things correctly, you can perform a high energy turn on any sub-pulse, even if you were not scheduled to move if you have the power available. The rules don't mention moving forward a hex once you complete a high energy turn. Do you move into the hex in front of you if you were in fact scheduled to move on that sub-pulse?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the way I've always played it - just like a regular turn if you HET when you're supposed to move.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: HET and move? Reply with quote

HowieTallGuy wrote:
If I understand things correctly, you can perform a high energy turn on any sub-pulse, even if you were not scheduled to move if you have the power available. The rules don't mention moving forward a hex once you complete a high energy turn. Do you move into the hex in front of you if you were in fact scheduled to move on that sub-pulse?

No. Per 2D2, you can indeed make a HET at the start of any movement sub-pulse. Pay your cost, and turn your ship to face any direction, and reset your turn mode by placing your turn point marker under your ship.

Now when you are scheduled to move next, your first movement MUST be straight ahead.

Example.

Ship moving Baseline 16 does not accelerate. At the beginning of sub-impulse 3, before any other movement occurs, declares and pays for a HET. Turns ship to face the direction he wishes and places the turn marker under the ship, and removes any side-slip marker from the board. No further movement occurs this sub-impulse for this ship as it is not scheduled to move.

Sub-impulse 4, the ship is scheduled to move, and moves forward one hex (or it can pay to cancel this movement if so desired).
HowieTallGuy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with your example and that is the way I have been doing things. However, I am still confused specifically for the following:

On a given sub-pulse in which you ARE scheulde to move, you decalre your HET, pay the cost, place the turn marker under your ship. I assume that you then also move forward one hex when actual movement occurs during the same sub-pulse? I'm curious if a HET negates your move for the sub-pulse if you were scheduled for it. I'm thinking that a desired tatic might be to stay put... but you could theoritically pay for deceleration for the given sub-pulse if you're supposed to move.

Last edited by HowieTallGuy on Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:09 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that while TJolley's example is correct, the first word of his post is wrong. It should say, "Yes".

If you are not scheduled to move, you may still make an HET (assuming all other conditions are met). You simply change the ship's facing, put the turn marker under your ship and you are done.

If you are scheuled to move, the HET replaces whatever turn you might have otherwise made. So, you change the ship's facing, put the turn marker under your ship, and then move your ship into the hex directly ahead of your ship's (new) facing.

So, if you are scheduled to move, you move whether you HET or not. An HET will not, in an of itself, cancel a move.

(Now, I must point out that, on a subpulse you are scheduled to move, you could perform an HET and then cancel your move. But those are independent actions and decisions.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mis-read part of the initial question..DOH!..it was indeed YES! Smile
HowieTallGuy
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The good news is that I've been doing things correctly then. Very Happy
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and this answers a query we had from a game tonight. that after a HET your turn counter goes down where you did the turn and if your turn mode was 3 you have to move 3 hexs from that point to turn again.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of turn mode, we used a single 1d6 in front of each player to indicate his turn mode the last time we played. Someone else posted this idea here on the forum, and it worked out just great. There were fewer counters cluttering the map. There were also no disagreements as to which player the various turn mode counters belonged to (they had been all basically the same).
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
Speaking of turn mode, we used a single 1d6 in front of each player to indicate his turn mode the last time we played. Someone else posted this idea here on the forum, and it worked out just great. There were fewer counters cluttering the map. There were also no disagreements as to which player the various turn mode counters belonged to (they had been all basically the same).

Sounds good. Can you elaborate just a little, please- do you mean you put the 1d6 in front of the player, or by his ship? And how does it relate to turn mode counters? Thanks!
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

think basically it probably goes in front of each ship card, every time they move past there turn increase the die by 1.
only problem with this is if you forget to turn the die. at least with counters on the board you know where you last turned.
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We usually play with minis or the 1" megahex counters. So what we do, is use the corresponding small counter for the same ship as the turn marker. Eliminates any confusion.
Paul Grogan
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
Can you elaborate just a little, please- do you mean you put the 1d6 in front of the player, or by his ship? And how does it relate to turn mode counters? Thanks!

I avoid d6. They have a habit of being picked up and rolled accidentally. If you are going to use dice, use d8. I scrapped the use of the counters straight away as the board looked a complete mess and it was very fiddly. I have used dice before, but recently changed to using poker chips as 'Turn Mode Counters'
-You get one every time you move straight ahead (or sideslip).
-You can only turn if you have a number of counters equal to or greater than your turn mode
-When you turn, you lose all your counters. But then of course, you move one ahead and get 1 again.

Kang - if you want me to elaborate further, PM me.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can find some of the micro-d6 (the 5mm size), they can work for this. Being so small folks don't usually pick them up to roll. I've used them in other games as "status markers".

I've found that Koplow Games has an excellent selection of dice that can be used for various reasons (negative numbers, 5mm counter dice, etc)

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with JMT. Battlegroup Murfreesboro has used the "6-mm" dice bit for several years now.

They are small, unobtrusive, available in a wide range of colors, small enough to not mistake for the regular dice but big enough to see... etc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: