Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

firing out of an asteriod hex

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: firing out of an asteriod hex Reply with quote

One of my opponents likes to sit in an asteriod hex and fire occationally. He has been adding +1 to direct fire weapons, which I beleive is correct. However when launching seeking weapons he claims that there is no effect on them from the asteriod hex.

What this ends up looking like is a hex that he can safley fire drones/plasma out of but if any drone or plasma enters the hex, it receives a penalty. The question is, how can such a hex damage incoming weapons but have no effect on weapons that are leaving. Also if there is no effect on seeking weapons fire from an asteriod hex, then why is there an effect on direct fire leaving that same hex?

perhaps someone can clarify if there is a problem here, or if I am misreading the rules.

Last edited by pneumonic81 on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the +1 to direct fire, you are correct. 6B3 specifically includes the hex of the firing unit.

For the damage to drones, your opponent has it right. Ships, fighters, shuttles, drones, and other units receive damage for each asteriod hex entered.

There's no real easy way to do it any other way. If you take damage for every hex you leave, then he can fire into an asteriod hex without damage. If you do both entering and leaving, than everyone recieves double damage.

For "rationalization" purposes, you could assume that the firing ship has moved to the edge of the field to fire or has programmed in an initial flight path to avoid the asteriods. Since you couldn't do that for other hexes, the drones would take damage for each hex entered.

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNordeen is absolutely correct.

BTW, pnemonic, that really sounds like a nice little tactic submission to me ...

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah its a fairly good tactic, the drawback is that you yourself have to move through the asteriods at 0+1 or 8+1 which then limits your manuver options.

We have all used it since I have at least 4 panels of asteriods in each fight (they are wicked fun to play with).

Last edited by pneumonic81 on Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
texastwister
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pneumonic81 wrote:
Yeah its a fairly good tactic, the drawback is that you yourself have to move through the asteriods at 0+1 or 8+1 which then limits your manuver options.

We have all used it since I have at least 4 panels of asteriods in each fight (they are wicked fun to play with).

Wicked annoying, I'd say Smile
They've made me nearly give up on playing Kzinti on the map as it currently stands because they make it too hard to use the Kzinti speed and maneuverability to best effect and also greatly reduce drone effectiveness at the same time. But... if you have to deal with them, you gotta take advantage of every trick they offer.

Glad I was right on this one Smile

Dare I say, "again"? Smile
willhc
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm...maybe asteroids will be the terrain this weekend...
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

texastwister wrote:
pneumonic81 wrote:

Wicked annoying, I'd say Smile
They've made me nearly give up on playing Kzinti on the map as it currently stands because they make it too hard to use the Kzinti speed and maneuverability to best effect and also greatly reduce drone effectiveness at the same time. But... if you have to deal with them, you gotta take advantage of every trick they offer.

Glad I was right on this one Smile

Dare I say, "again"? Smile

Right doesnt equal victory, as I am sure you are familiar with Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: