Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ESG questions
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have kicked both of these up.

For the first question, rather than just guess, I am going to wait for a response.

For the second question, that is indeed what the rule says. While Steve may want to provide a clarification, I am going to stick with this. The two ESGs will indeed interact and not damage the drones, even though this may be counter-intuitive. In this case, it will be better if only one Lyran uses his ESG, while the other relies on tractors or phasers.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of using an ESG in multiple modes in a single impulse, 5N2b says:

"Each ESG can be used one (or up to five) times per turn, in any or all of the modes, limited only by the energy contained in the ESG."

While this says "per turn" and not "per impulse", it also says that the use of different modes is limited only by the energy in the capacitor (never mentioning only one mode of use per impulse). The way I read that, it seems like you could use it in the defensive fire phase (say against an incoming drone which has "impacted" a shield during the movement sub-pulses of the impulse) and then again for anti-hellbore and/or an offensive ESG burst in the offensive fire phase of the same impulse, providing you have energy left in the capacitor.

Quite how you would resolve the use of both anti-hellbore *and* an offensive ESG burst in a single offensive fire phase I don't know, though I would guess the hellbore and ESG would interact first, and then if any energy remains after cancelling the hellbore damage would form the offensive ESG burst (resolved in the usual way as per 5N2d). Just speculation, I suppose - one of these cases of "that's how I'd play it" but it doesn't say specifically in the rules about how to resolve a case like that.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bad. Forgot to post the eventual rulings. All of these are from Communique #31.

(5N2a) Power used by ESGs must be used in
whole numbers, i.e., two points not two and a half points.
(5N2b) An ESG may only be operated in one mode
in any given Impulse. Within the selected mode, it may
be used multiple times (e.g., you could use anti-hellbore
bursts against multiple hellbore attacks). ESGs cannot
be used in any mode by a ship engaged in Evasive Maneuvers
(2D4).
(5N2d) ESGs cannot use Directed Targeting.

mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now, for Kang's last two questions ...

[EDIT: Deleted my wrong answer and question so they wouldn't detract from the right answers give to me by Steve.]

Last edited by mjwest on Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New clarifications from Steve ...

(5N2d) A seeking weapon held in the ship's tractor beam would be damaged by an offensive burst.
(5N2f) In the case of two ships with ESGs in adjacent hexes, the ESGs would damage things in the hex of the respective ship before cancelling each other out. Note, however, that if ship A expended all of its ESG points on targets in its hex, and ship B had ESG damage points remaining after destroying all targets in its hex, the ship B's ESG could damage ship A (depending on the sequence of targets being damaged in (5N2d).

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: