Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Target Declaration

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Target Declaration Reply with quote

Given ships A and B are firing on enemy ship X and ship Y and ship X is close to being destroyed, then:

1/ Must both ships A and B declare which weapons are target on ship X before rolling dice (and risk the possibility of overkill) or

2/ Can ship A fire on ship X to see if it is destroyed before ship B declares its target?

Gotta love tournaments!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't find anything that is very specific, but...

4A1 states that all weapons fired in the Offensive Fire Phase are simultaneous. It then says that it's possible for two weapons on opposing ships to destroy each other during the same phase.

With that in mind I would say that #1 applies. Everything is happening simultaneously, and you cannot wait for the results to make a decision.

So overkill is the risk you take when you decide to both fire at Ship X simultaneously.

Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I mistaken about this? I thought all fire had to be declared before any dice were rolled...
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way we read it is:
You can continue to add "me too" fire until you're out of weapons... but every weapon must have a target before any dice are rolled.
Overkill is a distinct possibility.

SFB has the "Aegis" fire control system that'll let you resolve some fire then allocate remaining shots as needed, but that system does not exist in Fed Comm.

Given all this, I'll say that "Yes" all weapon fire must be declared before resolving anything.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad:

That's exactly how we have been playing.

I even made up some weapons cards to help with this.

Suppose a ship has 6 Ph1s, 2 Ph3s, and 4 Photons. That player would receive a card showing each of those weapons. Whenever he fires, he places the appropriate card(s) down. [The cards can be pushed/pointed toward the player whose ship he is shooting at or they can simply be put down.]

Everyone sees what is being fired and can "me, too" respond if they want.

This way, no one has to recall what was being fired at whom.

Of course, you have to design and print the cards. And, it is redundant to the Weapons Used tracks on the ship card diagrams.

You know, if almost seems as if a "product" could be made of these Playing Aid ideas that have come up here on the forum...
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SFB has the "Aegis" fire control system that'll let you resolve some fire then allocate remaining shots as needed, but that system does not exist in Fed Comm.

Haven't played SFB in years, but when I did, AEGIS was limited to firing at drones/fighters --- can't see that having changed --

Defensive Fire phase --- allowing ADD, then Phasers, and finally Tractors does real well replacing it ---
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I look up the reference later, but yes, you everyone has to declare their fire before any dice are thrown. Once all of the "bidding" is done you get to roll dice and see what happens.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: