Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After Action Report - Refiner's Fire

View previous topic :: View next topic  
toastie
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: After Action Report - Refiner's Fire Reply with quote

marcus_aurelius, aresian and I met to play at Games Plus in Mt. Prospect, Illinois, for what we hope is the beginning of a steady group.

We selected "Refiner's Fire" from Briefing #1 as a good 3 player game. I took the Gorn/Fed group, aresian the Klingon, and not surprisingly marcus_aurelius had the Romulans.

Turn 1. All declared speed 24 except the Fed at speed 16. The Gorn looped around and joined formation with the Fed as the Romulans and Klingon closed. I had burned batteries so the photons were loaded this turn, but the forces didn't close enough for them to be used. Late in the turn, I fired off a Plasma-F to discourage pursuit by the Klingon. Sniping from the Klingons/Romulans damanged the Fed #2 shield.

Turn 2. Both Romulans and Gorns would have torpedoes this turn, so I maintained high speed (24 base) and made a wide circling turn to avoid going head on. The Klingons and Romulans with their better turn mode were able to cut off the turn. Midway through the turn, the Fed had a range 7 oblique shot at the Klingon #1, with the Gorn firing on the same shield. The Fed fired 4 P-1s and 4 standard photons, the Gorn added 5 P-1s. Unfortunately for me, I rolled three 6's and one 5 for the photons, and the phaser rolls weren't much better. After reinforcement, the Klingon only took 14 points of damage on the front shield. In return, the combined Klingon/Romulan fire nearly knocked down the Fed #6 shield. The Gorn then fired a Plasma S at the Klingon. The Romulan held torpedo fire until the next impulse when he dumped all 4 S torpedos at the BC. The Romulans then turned off to run away and help the Klingon phaser down the S torpedo.

Turn 3. The Romulan and Klingons started separated somewhat, and I wanted to encourage that, so I deployed the 'Frigate' to pull the Romulans back in while the Klingon eventually ran out the S torpedo. The Fed CC and Gorn BC got separated somewhat as the BC ran out the S torps somewhat taking about 10 points on the #5 shield while the CC stayed near the 'Frigate'. The Romulans closed on the Frigate, eventually passing the CC. Phaser fire nearly took down another Fed shield. The Romulans entered the hex of Frigate at the end of impulse 8, ending the ruse, with one KR directly in front of the CC. The CC slapped a tractor beam on the KR, which was un-opposed.

Turn 4 began with the CC directly behind 1 KR with a tractor on it, and the other KR on the #6 shield. The D7 was about 5 hexes away, and the BC about 8, but facing away. The KR did not fight the tractor. On impulse 1, the BC HETed to come back toward the battle and both KRs HETed to face the CC, although they were on different shields. The Fed alpha-strike of 8 phasers and 4 12 point photons on the tractored KR netted 50 internals, but failed to hit a single torpedo. In return, the Romulan phaser fire knocked down the tattered Fed #1 and #6 shields and dealt moderate damage. In the seeking weapon phase, the Romulan was able to complete all the torpedoes as 2 turn Fs, and fired 3 at the Fed, and 1 and the Gorn. On impulse 2, the 3 torpedoes impacted the Fed and left it with about 2 control boxes, 2 frame, and the one tractor. The Gorn closed to range 1 on the still tractored KR and managed to take the F torpedo on the #2 shield, though this would turn out to be a mistake. The 2nd KR moved out to range 3 on the same weakened shield. Phaser fire knocked the shield down and did 11 damage including 1 torpedo. The D7 closed to range 1 on the Gorn #6 shield. The D7 alpha strike missed with 2 of the 3 overloaded disruptors, but still managed 22 internals, including the remaining 3 torpedoes. I took the last torpedo as a frame hit, so I could fire it as a two turn F. I was able to fire 4 phasers at the Klingon, knocking down the front shield, and 2 phasers at KR. At seeking weapon launch, I was able to fire two F torpedoes at the tractored KR, and one held G torpedo at the D7. The G torpedo would have been an S, except the launcher was destroyed, so I couldn't upgrade it at launch time. The torpedoes barely blew up the KR, and the D7 took a moderate amount of damage to the power systems.

At this point, we ended the game. The BC had 3 shields down, and one functioning torpedo, although it had lost only a single phaser 3 and a few points of power. The Klingon 'won' as the Fed was destroyed. The remaining untouched KR and the damaged D7 could have killed the BC if it ever slowed down to fight. The D7 had taken enough power damage that I don't think it could have kept up to a running battle, so the BC would be relatively safe. The Fed 'lost' and I think the Gorn and Romulans got a draw.
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About similar to the 3 scenarios Ive played over the years ---
2 SFB one in FC --

Fed destroyed in all three --- of 15 Overloaded photons fired at range 3 or less, 12 missed ---

With different groups playing each time, it seemed everyone always got tunnel visioned on the Fed, even though the Gorn was the target that needed to be destroyed --
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an uneven scenario for the Feds and gorns, outnumbered 3 ot two. I'm surprised and glad your gorn ship survived.
toastie
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, given that it was a location map centered on the Gorn and the setup gave me a 26 hex lead, I could have just run for 10 turns, and no one would have won. But that seemed out of the spirit of the game. Had it been a fixed map it probably would have ended up with 4 ships destroyed.

The addition of the 'Frigate' to the scenario is an interesting twist, and I probably didn't exploit it as well as I could have.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the way to use that is to launch it right when the rom has plasma ready again, or in the begining of the game so the first turn is just two on two, or to lure the enemy into photon range, blast him, and tractor him so he can't follow the frigate.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But what is photon range? seems like they miss 75% of the time even at range 4. (Unless if course my opponent is playing Fed's Rolling Eyes )
marcus_aurelius
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 3:47 am    Post subject: Romulan debrief Reply with quote

The Romulan (me) made three mistakes in the scenario:

1. I followed the Gorn/Fed after the Klingon fired and turned away.
I allowed myself to get too far from the Klingon.
2. When I launched my plasmas I launched all 4 S's in my excitement.
The Gorn and Fed were easily able to run away from them.
I probably should have bolted or just launched two.
Two may have still have been enough to keep them on the run
or at least to tempt them to take some shield damage.
The launching of 4 2-turn F's later was more of a desperation move
to make the best of a bad tactical situation.
3. I got too close to the Fed and allowed myself to get tractored
by a Fed with loaded Photons. It was either win the tractor auction
and run or fire plasmas; since it was getting late I did the HETs and
2-turn F's. At least the KR went out in a blaze of glory!

My usual Romulan tactics require patience and discipline which I
found difficult to conceptually balance with the limited turns and
the phantom frigate of the scenario.

The Gorn/Fed played a good game and the main thing that
helped the Klingon/Romulan was the UNusually bad photon rolls.

This Fed dependence on die rolls every other turn is why Feds
are one of my least favorite races to play. Plasmas are far
more predictable.

I am looking forward to the next GamesPlus game; this game
was a good challenge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: