Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plasma Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
pinecone wrote:
The cloaking device is more Annoying though.

I'd much rather be annoyed than crippled.

Your mileage may vary.

Yes, but the cloaking device will hurt you, and annoy you in the process. It's like a chain reaction. In a one-on-one, the Pl-R is better, but the Cloaking device is more useful in a larger and longer fleet engagement (who cares if that frigate eats and R anyway?).
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
Would using all of these plasmas just slow the ship too much - or would a Concordium captain aboard a plasma-variant be able to afford not to worry too much about arming the rear-firing torps, if the tactic of one S a turn was being used?

The rear firing torpedoes are F-torps with stasis boxes. So you shouldn't need to worry about arming them initially.

If your opponent starts trying to get behind you, then you might need to arm them. But only after you've already let a few off.

In any case, if you can keep the range open then an opponent's ability to get around behind you isn't as much of an issue. If someone is 15 hexes out, then it's a lot easier to keep them in arc than it is when they're only five hexes away.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with long range plasma is that it dissipates quickly.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
The problem with long range plasma is that it dissipates quickly.

Which is why all of the plasma races have lots of long-range phaser-1s.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

except for the eagles, which are bad manuverers too.
Democratus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a tactical puzzle that is giving me fits.

I recently played a game with a Romulan cruiser against an Orion cruiser. With the way FC movement works, my opponent was always able to move speed 24+1 thus making my plasma worthless. In addition, even with a close pass the plasma bolts are at a penalty to hit (Orion stealth) making my best odds 50%. Exchanging strikes at that range thus becomes a loosing prospect as his direct fire heavy wepons will get the upper hand on every pass.

Is there some trick to bolts or torps I'm missing? I'd appreciate any advice.
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tractor Anchor? wait to a close past and slap him with a tractor beam would be one way. Even for an orion doubleing his engines he is not going to ahave a huge amount of spare power.

Wait till he has turned towards you on a close pass and launch the plasma, its much harder for him to dodge when he is closing on the torp at 24.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with the above.

If you can't tractor-anchor him (due to not enough power to win the auction, especially if he's doubling), then patience is really going to be your main strength. Your ship is tougher; you'll need to wait until he makes a maneuvering mistake (or you force him into one) where his speed won't help him run out your plasmas too far. It might take a while.

Like DrFaustus said, wait until he make a maneuver that puts him unable to turn or HET away from you plasma launch at medium or shorter range.

You didn't mention what weapons he was loaded out with. His weapons will have a large effect on your tactics - the above patience suggestion won't work nearly as well if he is set up to saber dance you with disruptors and drones. If he goes for close range weapons, you'll have more opportunities to exploit.
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My feeling is that in SFB Plasma was a seeking weapon with a direct fire option. In FC it's a direct fire weapon with a seeking option. Look for the range 10 bolt with heavy torps, keep the Fs for close range work/deterrence.

War Eagles are different. Actually, that's true as a flat statement of fact, so I'll leave it there! Laughing

Could try this with 4 or even 3 torp ships:

Turn 1: Approach. Launch heavy torp(s) range 10-15, fire phasers (lots of variations on this, but you must not fire the F torps this turn). Do not get to range 8 this turn.

If opponent keeps closing:

Turn 2: Close pass. Launch Fs, Suicide Shuttles, kitchen sink, fire phasers, begin reload of heavies. Tractor?

If opponent turns away:

Turn 2: Bolt one F if inside range 10 (keep the other - opponent might HET), fire phasers, begin reload of heavies.

Turn 3: If opponent has closed, use fast loads launched, fire phasers, start loading one Plas F (you're going to lose the other if you haven't already). Remember to release any tractor in time to get clear - in this variant you will have no torps next turn.

Turn 3: If they have turned away do not fast load, continue normal load; fire phasers; commence loading both Fs.

Repeat until opponent is frazzled. Twisted Evil

This won't always work, of course, but there will be a lot of smoking wreckage if your opponent closes, and it won't all be you Very Happy . If they don't close you've a good chance of at least doing the same sort of damage as them and having good board position.
Famous last words #11: "That's a very big fleet!"
Democratus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, sorry I didn't give more information about the enemy. The Orion had 4 Disruptors (2FA, 1LS, 1 RS) plus drones and a Plasma F. When doubling engines it had more than 70 power, so a tractor auction was out of the question. And it seldom moved slower than 24+1 even when not doubling so there was zero chance of catching it with seeking weapons.

I'm trying to figure out how best to use my plasma bolts. But at range 6-10 they only hit 33% of the time (Due to stealth coating of Orion) and even at point blank range it doesn't get better than 50%. I have figured out that I can force the enemy to fire early by declaring EM before he has reached optimal range. After that I'm at a loss of how to follow up on this advantage.

I'm thinking I might have to throw in some suicide shuttles, a bottle of ale and the kitchen sink!
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you running against him? Romulans tend to have very good forward phaser firepower. It's true that he's got a lot of disruptors so he'll have decent forward firepower, but you might mount enough forward phaser-1s to be able to smash him pretty heavily up close.

I haven't seen this particular combination in action, so take my advice with a grain of salt. But what I would suggest is...

1.) Use EM at range (it looks as if you're already doing this). Only drop it when he gets in close.
2.) Always have at least one torpedo hot in the tubes "just in case" he screws up.
3.) Focus on your phasers as your primary weapon - at least until you can wear him down somewhat.
4.) It might be worthwhile to (at least initially) make called shots to his power. He already has to deal with the extra power loss from engine doubling. You might as well make it even worse.
5.) If you think you can afford the power cost, go ahead and fire a bolt every time he makes a close range pass. Sure, the numbers are bad. But you might get lucky. And if you only bolt one torp then it shouldn't be prohibitive to rearm it (and also saves your other torps in case he REALLY screws up).
Pinkfluffychicken
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior: Good point re directed damage (I think Bolts can use directed damage, or has this been changed? Get confused!)

Democratus: If you are Gorn, Carronades! They don't mind about a 1 shift if you get to range 5...

edit: Thinking about the bottle of ale, it's a tried and tested tactic of many years standing: Get your opponent drunk. If he's a REAL Orion he or she won't be able to resist. Wink

edit again:
Quote:
Which is why all of the plasma races have lots of long-range phaser-1s.

Really??? I can't think of any Romulan ship smaller than a BB with more than six in the FA and seven in total. SPAs have five. Doesn't feel like a lot to me...
Famous last words #11: "That's a very big fleet!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: