Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

After Action report for 'The Art of Duty'

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: After Action report for 'The Art of Duty' Reply with quote

Scenario: The Art of Duty [Romulan Attack, (8RA3)]

Venue: Boardgames club meeting at Clifton Road Games, Exeter, UK

As you will no doubt have gathered from my other thread at http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1256 , we played this scenario with the rules interpretation that the Romulans had to stay cloaked for the first four impulses of the game, and had been 'Stopped' at the start, thus limiting their maneuver options.

The game is basically three Romulan War Eagles [WEs] vs. a Federation CL. The Fed has to survive for four game turns while remaining within 20 hexes of a small planet at the centre of the board. The Roms have to try to kill him. Simple.

Each Romulan War Eagle was played by a separate player, two of these players were veterans of several games of FC, one was a new player. The Fed player was also a veteran of several games of FC.

The game began with a bit of smart maneuvering by the WE that begins the game under the Fed's guns; moving out of the Fed CL's primary weapons arc [not that he was going to fire his photons at the cloaked ship anyway!] while the other WE's closed in. I had one of the WEs; I decloaked in Impulse 5, stupidly, only one hex behind the CL and facing in the wrong direction. Idiot - I'd forgotten he carries drones Embarassed. Drone impacted at the end of the fade-in impulse, for 9 damage on the #4 shield. As I wasn't planning on pointing that shield at him anytime soon, I elected not to reinforce.

Both of the other WEs decloaked at the same time as I did; the CL also hit one of the other WEs with all bearing phasers, causing minimal damage, and turned off to extend the range.

At the end of the turn, the Fed CL had reached Range 5 from our group of WEs, which were bunched pretty close together; we each fired all Phaser-1s at him and dropped his #4 shield for about 8-10 internals after armor hits.

At the start of Turn 2, we suspected he'd go Speed 24 because our Plasmas would be ready to eat. One of the WEs had six power in his batteries so we set him to speed 24 and the other two to speed 16.

This was because we knew that he couldn't run forever because he had to stay within 20 hexes of the planet, so we were reasonably sure of catching him sometime this turn, despite us being only Speed 16. The Speed 24 ship would give us some tactical flexibility.

What actually happened was that the Fed selected Speed 16 and HETed back towards us. The plan was elegant in its simplicity - blow through our group on the first impulse and be outside our plasma arcs by the Launch phase.

Perhaps if he'd selected a higher speed, or begun the maneuver a couple of hexes closer, it would have worked. However, we just used decels to hold position and finished the first impulse at one hex range and facing the CL's #1 shield. The Fed unloaded his alpha strike on one of the WEs, for a good few internals including the R-torp. Hwever we remembered the 'launching from a disabled launcher' rule and, although the torp was only armed to 'S' strength, it was launched nonetheless - a tractor applied by the launching WE anchored him with no reply as all of his power had been used in his alpha strike.

My R-torp followed; the CL was gutted with only a couple of boxes remaining, and with the third WE loaded and ready to fire with the CL anchored, so the Fed conceded.

The Fed's HET and blow-through trick was a ballsy idea which might have worked had he had a bit more power to spend. Our Turn 1 phaser fire had reduced his power slightly, but enough to the point where it wasn't really going to have much chance of working, unfortunately. Still, in other circumstances, it might be a viable move....

Lessons:

1) Keep speed up around plasma-armed opponents;
2) This scenario could perhaps have been won by the Fed, but he'd have to keep out away from the Roms and at a decent speed
3) Rom WEs are not very well powered if you want to go fast. The Fed could have won the speed race, had one occured.
4) Should be Rule Number One for all FC players: NEVER run out of power!!
5) Same as 4) above, but it is so important that I thought I'd better mention it twice Smile

PS - Sorry there's no photos of this battle, but Davec_24 has taken his miniatures home with him Sad !!

Paul, I hope this summarises the battle adequately. Please feel free to chip in as you want!
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crumbs, I wouldn't like to be the Fed in that scenario. At least you don't have to destroy the enemy to win, and it's a four turn time limit (so one full plasma shot for the Romulans only, but probably some F-torps coming your way on turn 4), but even then - you're limited as to where you can run from those torpedoes by having to stay within 20 hexes of the planet.

I think Paul's tactic was a good one, and by the sound of it was his only real chance to run away from all of your plasma - otherwise he'd have stayed surrounded and been a sitting duck for some big red ones, any one of which will cause moderate (what with the rear shields being only 16-point). Shame it didn't work, but best job of a pretty one-sided fight anyway!
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he did well, especially considering that we don't think we were playing it properly when you refer to the other thread mentioned above.

However there's still no 'official' word from 'on high' to tell us what the scenario was supposed to run like. Can the Roms move on Turn #1? Do they have to stay cloaked for 4 impulses? We still don't know.

Also if the Roms can't move on Tn#1 then it means that the Fed gets a free shot at one of the WEs, albeit a cloaked one.

[Edit: The questions have been answered: http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1256 ]

The other slight advantage that the Fed gets is a marginal speed advantage over the Roms. The WE has 26+6 power and a move cost of 1, so it can fly at Spd 32 [24+1 for 8 impulses] for one turn, but it will burn his batteries, and he won't have any power for anything else.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davec_24 wrote:
I think Paul's tactic was a good one

In retrospect, I played it completely wrong! What I should have done (I think) is run away for 4 turns as best I could. Simply looking at the points values, the Romulans come in nearly 3x that of the Fed ship. When I first read the scenario, I assumed it was a bigger Fed ship against the 3 smaller Romulans, but oh no.

I'd want to play the scenario again just to play it completely differently. It would be interesting to hear from anyone else who played this scenarion and what they did.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played this scenario once, took the roms head on, and got obliterated.

It's basically a replica of The Mighty Hood Goes Down where the fed need only survive for four turns.

If it were played with a fed BCF or DNF, or even an NCA or NCC, the feds might have the slightest chance of winning. (exagerating, but it felt good Very Happy )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: