Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tractor Beams and Operator movement and function.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
Can you confirm whether I was understanding the acceleration bit - I had read the acceleration (combine the 2 costs) as simply combine the 2 acceleration costs, so that the frigate towing the DN needs 1.75 (1.5 DN + .25 FF) energy per impulse of acceleration, so in as per my previous post the frigate would end up spending 20 power for a full turn of effective speed 8+1.

Crap. You are right. I always forget about that rule for acceleration.

Yes, the Frigate has to spend two points of energy to accelerate in an impulse.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Associated with this topic, is there any limit to the amount of power that can be allocated to movement in one turn, like there was in SFB?

For example, say an Orion raider doubled his engines and had a tractored large freighter in tow, would it be able to allocate sufficient power to move both ships at speed 32? [well, 24+1 for the whole turn].

The maths is ok - 40 power from doubled warp engines, move cost 1/2 + 1/2 for CR and F-L, could technically allow 40 hexes of movement, although obviously 32 is the max - but would the rules have a problem with it?

Last edited by Kang on Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
For example, say an Orion raider doubled his engines and had a tractored large freighter in tow, would it be able to allocate sufficient power to move both ships at speed 32? [well, 24+1 for the whole turn].

I doubt it, the highest base speed you can declare is 24. That gets knocked down to 16* for towing the other ship. From there you can accelerate at a higher than normal cost, but accelerate only gives you +1 per impulse for an effective 16+1.

*can't remember move costs of those ships, so assuming it just equates to 1 speed level lower.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
There is also one other non-movement restriction. If a ship is tractoring a friendly ship (i.e. they are on the same side of the battle), the ship that is being tractored may not fire offensive or launch weapons. (The launch restriction was a later update.)

Oh, bum. I didn't know about that. What a shame; I thought that had been properly left out in the SFB to FC porting operation. Where does it say that restriction, please? Apart from in the SFB rules, that is Wink
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:
I doubt it, the highest base speed you can declare is 24. That gets knocked down to 16* for towing the other ship. From there you can accelerate at a higher than normal cost, but accelerate only gives you +1 per impulse for an effective 16+1.

*can't remember move costs of those ships, so assuming it just equates to 1 speed level lower.

Oh, that's right, of course - we don't add the movement costs for base speeds, we lower the movement band. The addition of movement costs is for accel/decel, isn't it? Thanks for that - my bad Smile
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
mjwest wrote:
(The launch restriction was a later update.)

Where does it say that restriction, please?

Briefing #1 Rules Update, entry for (5D6c).

Federation Commander Answer Guy
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Yes, that is a completely valid tactic.

Just be careful. Doing that means you are "stopped" for the rest of the turn, and if the other ship drops the tractor, you will still be stopped.

Obviously, it's a trade-off, and one you might be forced to make if he has loaded guns pointing at your down shield ...

So, are you saying that even if you are stopped in this situation you can still be "dragged" in tow?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: