Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Virtual Deodorant
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online!
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Active Ingredient
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:23 am    Post subject: Virtual Deodorant Reply with quote

OK, this has been bugging me. How many people actually play – or want to play - FCOL? (SFBOL doesn’t count). I posted a message asking for help for a newbie. At last count, there were over 500 views. With only 4 posts in the thread, doing a little math tells me over 100 people read it! … but besides JPAT, nobody else responded. Nobody! Not a one! Zippo. Nada. What happened? Did I forget to put on my virtual deodorant? Embarassed

But maybe it’s not me. I have been on the client several times, yet have never seen another FC room open. Only SFB. So I ask again … is there anybody out there who plays FCOL?

I’m curious – are a lot of people like me? You would like to play but have very limited free time on your hands? Perhaps there are a lot of you who have only 1 free hour a month to play FCOL. i.e. interested, but don’t want to make any commitments that you can’t keep.

Can we get a list going here so I (and everyone else) can see just how many people are interested in FCOL? -- and please -- don’t feel like you must have tons of free time in order to “qualify”. “My name is ****** and I have a demo account and I can only play one hour per month” is a perfectly accepted and encouraged response! Smile

“FCOL looks really confusing, but if someone would show me how to use it, then I MIGHT be interested” is also a perfectly accepted and encouraged response! Smile

OK, I’ll start.

_Active_Ingredient_ : I have a subscription. On a good week I can probably find one free night after the kids are in bed and get in about 2 hours. Every now and then I may try to get in a quick 20-30 minutes while my wife is washing up / making the kids lunches, etc.

OK. I’m slapping on the virtual “Old Spice” and gargling with some virtual “Scope” for good measure. Let’s see how many replies I get. Very Happy
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read every thread on the board, but since I don't play online I had nothing to offer.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm working on it - I generally prefer to play ftf but since my primary opponent over the summer is moving back to college for the semester we're trying to get FC Online going (see the other thread for errors encountered so far). Otherwise I work 3pm to midnight during the week which means no free evenings as a rule, only free mornings......
Active Ingredient
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I prefer to play f2f also - but it's not always an option. Sad

But if I ever get this working from home thing going, I'd be up for some lunchtime FCOL. Smile
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I intend to get a sub when payday arives but I am in 'ole blightly so GMT timezone.

As for the lack of replies this is the 'net. The ratio of View to reply is always pretty huge.
bobrunnicles
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active Ingredient wrote:
yeah, I prefer to play f2f also - but it's not always an option. Sad

But if I ever get this working from home thing going, I'd be up for some lunchtime FCOL. Smile

Hey, it could happen Smile
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to play but it's very confusing when you download the client and run it and there's only four people on there, and they're on the SFB side of things, and the FC does not seem to have a demo version.

Perhaps it's just because I live in the UK and I looked first thing in the morning when you lot at the other side of the pond are still asleep....

I might try a $10 3-month sub to try playing against my son here in the UK. But we'll see....
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find the FC demo version either. All the links to it got me the SFB one instead, and I couldn't actually figure out how it works. Embarassed Plus since I'm also in the UK, I'm unlikely to be online during US players' evening time since this is early hours of the morning for us.

Kang, we could try FCOL if you can find me the demo version to give it a shot with (student loan = no subscription unless I know it'll be worth it). It'd be nice to get in more FC, I've been a bit deprived of opponents over the summer, with my regular gaming group dispersed all over the country for summer break. Sad
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davec_24 wrote:
Kang, we could try FCOL if you can find me the demo version to give it a shot with (student loan = no subscription unless I know it'll be worth it). It'd be nice to get in more FC, I've been a bit deprived of opponents over the summer, with my regular gaming group dispersed all over the country for summer break. Sad

Fishing successful. If we try it, I'll pay your 3-month trial subscription. You scrounging g1t Wink
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know the demo version is free, and lets you fight a Fleet Scale Fed CA against a Klingon D7, right? Might be the best way to at least check you can both connect etc. Did you download the example videos? They helped me a lot to get things going, even if I was just tooling around with it solo.
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know where to get the FCOL demo version from, or the example videos. If you go to the FCOL homepage (http://www.sfbonline.com/fc.jsp) there doesn't seem to be anything useful on there with regards to FCOL, just SFBOL. Maybe I'm just missing something majorly... Embarassed
bobrunnicles
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe you have to download the SFB Online client, then once you do that there's an option to play FC with it. I know, it's about as clear as mud, but once you download the SFB client and fire it up, when you click 'start new game' Federation Commander is an option.

Certainly the documentation seems to suggest that FCOnline is a separate entity, but it's not. Try the above and you should be rolling in no time.

Edit - the videos appear under the 'Tutorials' page, again linked to from the standard SFBOnline front page:

Starting a Federation Commander Game
Moving Pieces in a Federation Commander Game
Firing/Launching and Damage Allocation in a Federation Commander Game
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice. However I have tried running the client and it just looks like it has SFB in it. Do you mean that you actually have to start a new game somehow and then it gives you the choices?

But I will indeed look at the videos as soon as I get home.

Dave, apparently the client you download is the same thing as the SFBOL one and FCOL is part of it.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you kick off the client it will look like SFB online and you even have to enter/sign-in under 'SFB Online - Demo Mode' (or at least I do). Once it fires up, go to the top left under 'Game' and select new game. That should give you the option to play FC, as well as F&E, Star Fleet Warlord and four different varieties of SFB. Can't say I ever tried any of the others but the FC version appears to work fine. Select a room name for your game and off you go. Like I said, clear as mud, right? Smile
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. Done it. Looks fine, thanks for your help.

I will watch the vids and then get cracking.

See you in space Smile Check your six first....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> FC & SFB Online! All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: