Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tholian Web Casters: 8 Impulses is too Long
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

plus as they are only 5 wide and another one cannot be placed adjacent it can be manouvred round with some thought.
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To all thos who requested a copy of the Transcript of the game, please let me know if you recieved it yet. I was late sending it out, as work did not go as I planned yesterday (for the better, but I wasn't near a computer all day).

pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that there is a rule preventing you from having too many neo-tholians in a pick-up game.
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

true but there are some tholian shipswith webcasters IIRC
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that, and the rule should probably say the same of those ships.

It doesn't however, so bring out the DWP's and CAW's. Very Happy
TJolley
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone wrote:
I know that, and the rule should probably say the same of those ships.

It doesn't however, so bring out the DWP's and CAW's. Very Happy

actually it does.

No more than 1/3 of a fleet amy be NEO, nor more than 50% of a fleet may contain web casters.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried it against the Seltorians?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played the Seltorians in conjuction witht the Klingins in a battle against the Tholians. However, it was early inthe learning process for the Tholians.

I have not had the time the last few days, but I plan to describe the tactic in detail (ie a hex by hex example). I'm not trying to keep anyone in suspense, I just want to get the descrition correct.

jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played a few gems of Rocks and Bugs recently and the Seltorians do tend to chew through Webs much better than the other empires.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patrick,

This in regards to the emailed transcript of the Tholian vs Klingon engagement. You seem rigid in keeping your forces all in the same hex, that is the Klingons. I do understand that as a conventional strategic advantage in some cases, but I don't think it does you any good against someone who places those webs in that manner. My pal is a MEAN Klingon player, played SFB since he was in grade school, and does just as well with them in FC. I think he would have good chances against someone employing those tactics. I mean to replay your battle using his guidelines and identical forces, but this brings me to a different aspect that I noticed.

Are there actual printed cards for the Tholian CPW and DPW? What CL or Communique do they come from if from nowhere else? Those ships seemed well armed. Also, which ship, if not both had the Caster and used it?

Your opponent did place those segments well, but I think that can be dealt with.

Oh yeah, I cracked open my Briefing #1 to read the section on pursuit courses. I haven't read it in over a month and then when I saw the author's name I realized why I kept getting "deja vu" since this discussion began. That was the real reason I picked it up. I think it's excellent and you deserve recognition for it. All your stuff in Capts Log is great too. Until next time.
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Missmatronic,

Are there actual printed cards for the Tholian CPW and DPW?

Yes, the DPW was printed Booster Pack #17. The CPW (Photon Armed War Cruiser was in Boster 14. The DPW (improved Dreadnough had 2 web casters, 1 L+LF, 1 R+RF. I'm not sure if they were printed in a Capt log first.

As the Klingon player, I did keep my forces (1 C-7, 2 D5s) in the same hex. I could have split my force, but in this game, against Paul, I did not feel it would be effective. He maneuvers his ships well enough that I believed he would have concentrated on a portion of my force. Also, his group had Photons (2 on the DPW, 4 on the CPW), meaning that if a portion of my force went against the bulk of his forces, the outcome would not have been favorable to me. Obviously, the strategy I chose did not work. Under current conditions, I do not believe splitting forces would have been effective. Also, once split up, it's possible that may forces would never have been able to link back up do to webs being placed between them.

Remember, in this battle, as long as the Tholian does not get greedy, he simply has to slowly bleed his opponent. After turn 1, I did not cause a single internal to the Tholians, and the 1 internal I caused was merely a leak damage. If a Tholian player plays a conservative game, he simply stays behind the web and wears down the opponent. If it looks like the Klingon is going to dive into a web next impulse, he throws out another web to hide behind. It does take some practice and foresight on the part of the Tholian player. But one you get (or anyone) gets some practice as a Tholian, they will be hard to beat.

The Tholians goal is to set up phaser exchanges that favor him. It does not mean that he necessarily gets through the battle undamaged, just that his opponent take more damage with each exchange.

Also, Web casters do use a good amount of power. However, if you are doing it right, you should only be firing your phasers through web at your enemy. If power remains, you can use disruptors, but don't make them your focus. If you can fire disruptors at your enemy, , then he can fire them back at you. That would mean you have a fair fight on your hands, and you don't want that.

Let me throw out a simple tactic for the Tholians. If you can fire WCs on Impulse 8, then they will be around for the entire next turn. This effectively doubles your WC capability for the next turn. Thus a force with 3 Web Casters effectively has 6. Always fire off any unfired WCs on impulse 8. If nothing else it creates obstables for the enemy, and options for you.

Alternatively, firing webs on impulse 8 lets you use power from turn 1, to place webs that get used on turn 2. The during turn 2, you can save webs for emergencies, or Impulse 8 of turn 2.

Also, unless you are delivering the Killing blow to the enemy (or there is some other VERY compelling reason do do so) don't use your WCs as web fists. In all the examples of the successful employment of WCs, web fists were not used. Create obstacles for your enemy and cover for yourself.

And lastly, thank you for the compliments on the articles, I am glad to know that they are useful.

Pat

missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the response, keep trying......you can take the Tholians!!!!
Patrick Doyle
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't post it here, but I did post a tactic in the Tactics section regarding the Tholians.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: