Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dropping drone tracking before impact!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Dropping drone tracking before impact! Reply with quote

Ok, this situation hasn't occurred in our group yet, but it's only a matter of time....

Rule (4F5e) [Briefing #1] says that a ship can drop tracking of one [or more] drones at any point in the sequence of play [italics mine].

Rule (4F5c) has the bit about if a seeking weapon hits its target at the same time as a counter-weapon, they both hit the target and damage it, and indeed recommends in a Tactical Note that you drop tracking to prevent this from happening.

Bringing those two rules together, then, at what point in the Sequence of Play can I drop tracking? The first rule says 'at any point', so as far as I can see, I can drop tracking even on the very movement sub-pulse that I realise that the two weapons will co-impact and damage my ship.

As far as I can see, as long as Rule (4F5e) says 'at any point in the sequence of play', I'm within my rights to do this.

Any objections, anyone?
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah so *that's* where that rule about being able to drop tracking at any point in the sequence of play is - no wonder I couldn't find it when looking through thr rulebook when we were playing "Treasure Ship", eh? I knew I'd read it somewhere...

Anyway my reckoning is that since (4F5e) was re-written (in Briefing #1) to say you can drop tracking "at any point in the sequence of play", I would interpret this as whenever you wanted to drop tracking. For example if you had launched a drone to intercept an enemy drone which was targeting your ship but the two impacted each-other in the same sub-pulse as that in which they both impacted your ship, you could drop tracking when this happened "just before" they hit your ship in the game/continuous time sense sense but in terms of sub-pulses this would be at the instant they do hit your ship.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know you don't have Briefing #1, so here's the link to the rules update from that product:

http://www.starfleetgames.com/federation/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=865
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for that, will bookmark it. I think I've probably read through that before in my search for "what are Web Generator boxes hit on?" answers (although I now know these are hit on "Flag Bridge"). That must have been where I saw that you can drop tracking to seeking weapons at any point in the sequence of play, as it isn't in the original rulebook, that is to say as published now so Revision 4.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Dropping drone tracking before impact! Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
The first rule says 'at any point', so as far as I can see, I can drop tracking even on the very movement sub-pulse that I realise that the two weapons will co-impact and damage my ship.

As far as I can see, as long as Rule (4F5e) says 'at any point in the sequence of play', I'm within my rights to do this.

We had a spirited debate about this over on the other board quite a while back (long enough that it would have dropped off of the first, maybe the second, and possibly even the third page if it had taken place here), and yes that's the correct reading of that rule. So yeah, if you're paying at least a little attention with a drone, then you should be able to drop tracking in time.

Of course, plasma torpedoes (such as those D-Torps that are intended to help with seeking weapon defense) are self-guiding and don't have tracking that can be dropped...
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior - thanks for that. And point noted about the D-torps - that could cause a few laughs, depending on whose side you're on Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: