Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

WYN AuxBC Options
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: WYN AuxBC Options Reply with quote

Anyone know why the WYN AuxBC can't have Gatlings in its option mounts? Or, well, just one, at any rate?

I seem to remember several SFB tourney wins by someone who had his AuxBox armed with one....
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those wins were in CL 36, but they were (as you said) for SFB, not FC...
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "why" is pretty easy: The WYN use technology available to the Lyrans, Kzinti, and Klingons. That means disruptors, drones, and ESGs (and Ph-1/2/3). Ph-G (and photons and plasmas) are not commonly available to those three empires, so they are not available for common use.

Now, I do suppose that such weapons can always be specified in scenario-specific special rules, or by player agreement, but the above is why Ph-G are not general available to the WYN.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WYN can use ESG's in FC?! If it's true t's awsome!
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the Wyn ships I have in FC (AuxBC, CA, CW and DW) I can't see any option mounts which specifically allow ESGs - the AuxBC can have Disruptors, Ph-1s or Drones and the others are limited to Ph-1s or Drones. Of course, it could make sense that ESGs would be available to the Wyn because of their geographical location and historical origin, so I doubt it would be a problem to use these, player agreement permitting. Similarly, you could try out Ph-Gs on the AuxBC (maybe limiting to one per ship) and say that they have copied them from a defecting LDR ship or some such.
asguard101
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had asked the same question in a different topic, and teh respone I got was any weapons of the three races around them.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ESG was not included because there were no rules at the time for "two space" weapons. After Orion Attack, I imagine the rules could be "retrofitted".

As for the Ph-G, I still maintain that it is a very, very rare weapon. As such, it can only be used when specified by a specific scenario rule or with the consent of the opposing player.

Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose the Ph-G would be a very rare weapon so that'd be fair enough - I had meant you could use them only with consent from your opponent, and that doing this would not be too far-fetched from a theoretical point of view.

Does Orion Attack have "two-space" option mount rules then? I'd wondered if these would be formalised as an official option for Fed Comm. Thus far, we've just had it as a sort of unofficial "player agreement" thing for mounting larger plasma torpedoes (that is to say G or S) in an Orion ship.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davec_24 wrote:

Does Orion Attack have "two-space" option mount rules then? I'd wondered if these would be formalised as an official option for Fed Comm. Thus far, we've just had it as a sort of unofficial "player agreement" thing for mounting larger plasma torpedoes (that is to say G or S) in an Orion ship.

Yes - if an Orion Pirate ship mounts a Plasma-S, then the adjacent WEAP box must be empty.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume that the PPD is considered a two-space weapon in FC, also?
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that also apply to Pl-G, or can that be fitted in a single option mount? If I remember right, in SFB there was a limit on which hull sizes could carry an S-torp - is this still the case in FC?
Also, ESGs are only a "single-space" weapon, aren't they? It mentions the ESG as an option in the "Optional Weapons" section (5L1) in the Revision 4 rulebook, but doesn't say they need two spaces, so I presume they are a "single-space" weapon.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is certainly limited to certain ships...

Yes, the PPD will be a 2-space weapon...

I do not recall if the Plasma-G is a 2-spacer or not... I'll check on that this evening.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pl-S and ESG are two box weapons. The PPD will be.

The Pl-G, on the other hand, is, uh, ... and open issue. The rules right now say that the Pl-G is one space, but that is different than SFB and could change (for various reasons).

pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may play devils edvocate on the pl-g/s issue:

if the G goes to a 2 space solution, no one will ever use it. The S does everything the G does and more.

If the G stays as a single option mount, then people might take it, but they still might take the F too. Why? Because the F can also be a carronade, as well as zero holding energy.

So doing the math, it seems like the G should stay as a single option mount if it will ever be used at all.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if the Pl-G is two spaces, no one will ever use it. That is true.

If a Pl-G is one space, I can't see it NOT being used in a plasma arrangement. You will only be able to mount one per ship (smaller than a BCH, anyway). So, your choice would be 3xPl-F or 1xPl-G and 2xPl-F. Given that, it becomes a no-brainer to take the Pl-G,.

While I completely agree that the Pl-F has the advantages of Carronade and zero hold cost. However, the Pl-G gives longer range and the ability of a two-turn Pl-F bolt or torpedo. As the singular changeup, I believe it would be taken frequently when plasma loads are selected.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: