Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fed's as promised

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Fed's as promised Reply with quote

Ok guys here are my first finished Fed Minis (still trying to decide what I want to do with phaser bumps Sad )

DNG: http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/5632/dnml2.jpg

BCG: http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/8838/bcoz8.jpg

FFG: http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/9862/ffgxk4.jpg

All together now: http://img166.imageshack.us/img166/4626/fedgrp2sp9.jpg
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming along nicely.

You must have a good camera to get shots that close-in and in-focus.
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking cool, and the markings and numbers and stuff look spot on (which is saying something as those can be quite hard to put on), well done. As for the phaser bumps, maybe paint them grey, that looks cool on the FFG. I'm not sure what colour they technically *should* be mind you. On that DNG, some of those forward bumps are phasers and some photons, but I don't know which are which!
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Great quality pictures. I'm also fond of the names you chose.

As for phasers, if you're going to use decals, I would remove the physical bumps from the mini--I haven't had much luck getting the decals to really settle nicely over them.

If you're going to paint them, the online guide from ADB suggests grey (darker than the hull color). I mostly use blue, since I like how it stands out against the lighter grey I use for the hull color (and I use dark grey elsewhere). I've experimented with red, but then I also use red for photons, so that gets a bit confusing.

It's really up to you, I don't think you ever could see an actual phaser emitter on the TOS Enterprise, even in the remastered versions. I think it wasn't until ST TMP (or TWOK when they were fired) that anyone really knew what an external phaser emitter was.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS is correct that the phaser emitters were never seen on-screen until ST-TMP.

However, the SFU has its groundings in the Star Fleet Technical Manual and Enterprise blueprints by FJS, which show the "bump" turrets. Those drawings were all black and white though, so any color goes in my opinion Wink

I do mine in dark grey.
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark/medium grey does look pretty cool for those phaser turrets - it gives enough contrast with the white/light grey of the main paintowork, without standing out too much. If it were me, I'd go with the grey. Smile
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments guys. As far as the camera i use, it is actually an LG envy Camera phone. I just try and either use a lamp with 4x 100 watt bulbs or go outside in the morning for the right light B)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: