Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Other" Miniatures
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
John Carter
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: "Other" Miniatures Reply with quote

So I'm getting around to getting some FedComm minis and I was wondering what is available for drones, plasmas and shuttles? I would really like to use only miniatures, and think it would look awesome to have the actual miniatures for them, but does anyone have a source for them? I've never seen them anywhere online that I've looked...
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I saw miniatures for missiles (drones) over on The Miniatures Page about 6 or so months ago.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Battlegroup Murfreesboro uses these Soviet missiles from C-inC products for our drone:

http://www.pfc-cinc.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/335912/81214.htm

For plasma's, we use plastic sequin pins but I have recently picked up 3 packs of (the currently OOP) Hackmaster Fireball miniatures that I want to try.

Irregular Miniatures (website unknown) produces a line of 6mm Scci-Fi minis witha shuttlecraft tha could have been copied directly from Star Trek.

Battlegroup Murfreesboro just created a bunch out of two differnetly sizes of Plastrucs brand styrene.

You can see photos of the drones, plasmas, and shuttle at teh link in the signature line below. If you want more info on constructing the shuttlecraft, send me a PM and I'll give you dimensions used and size of plastic.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend from the B5Wars community is developing his own game called With Hostile Intent. While the rules are still under development, he has put out some miniatures on the market. Available are some torpedos/missiles from Rattlehead games:

http://www.rattleheadgames.com/catalog/WithHostileIntent-RulebooksandAccessoriesProducts.html

Come in packs of 8 (4/4 split) for 6.50. But they're pretty detailed. You could use one for Kzinti, one for Klingons perhaps?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB, not bad. The C-in-C mins I linked to come 20 (4 each of 5 different missile)to a pack for 4$. I use one type each for the Kzinti - the Federation - The Klingon - The Orions- and The generic.

I will have to purchase some of your friends just to have something different for some of the other races.
CommodoreSlow
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,

I've scratch built my own plasma torpedoes and they serve us just fine. They're made from cotton bud tips, mounted on map tacks and painted an appropriate colour. Very easy to make and cost next to nothing.

There's an example here:
http://www.blackship.force9.co.uk/photos/games/federation_commander/freighters/index.html
DeadSkip
Ensign

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

best example is the one at the bottom...
http://www.blackship.force9.co.uk/photos/games/federation_commander/freighters/target5.html
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the Q-tip idea.

I've also seen some cast by James McCubbins from resin that looked rather nice as well.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:55 am    Post subject: about your miniatures scoutdad Reply with quote

Frist wow i saw on your web page your beautiful klingon miniatures i thought to myself what paints did you use and could you let me know the paints codes also about the way you made the drones and plasma torpedoes i like other players are fed up with useing counters because you lose them and any help is useful.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks for the comments - they are most appreciated.

As for the Klingons, they - like most of my miniatures are painted with a wide variety of paints. I am not so much a fan of a single brand, as much as a fan of finding just the right shade of paint. Most (~90%) of my paints are either CeramCoat or Folk Art brand. These are inexpensive brands of waer-based craft paints available at your local Wal-Mart (or other big--box retailer). I also use a smattering of other brands, Citadel - Vallejo - Reaper - Tamiya - etc. for the details.

The Klingons were base coated with CeramCoat brand - "Pewter Grey", shaded with "Storm Grey", and high-lighted with "Light Grey".
The Warp Engine radiators were painted with CeramCoat brand "Cyan"
The details were then painted with "CeramCoat - Laquer Red", "Citadel - Burnished Gold", "Citadel - Blood Moon Yellow", Citadel - Striking Scorpion Red", CeramCoat - Night Black", and Folk Art Cobalt Blue"

Hope this helps.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expendables, drones - plasma torps - and Shuttles were made as follow:

Drones,

The drones are 1/285th scale Soviet air-to-ground missile from C-in-C products. They come 20 to a pack (5 each of 4 differnet models) and are available here:

http://www.pfc-cinc.shoppingcartsplus.com/catalog/item/335912/81214.htm

The drones were mounted on quilters T-pins, which were then epoxed to thumb tacks for bases.

Plasma Torpedoes;

The Plasma Torpedoes are plastic sequin pins. After hearing of these items, I spent 3 months scouring the local craft / fabric shops looking forthem... but no one had even heard of them... must less stocked them. Another 3 months of checking egbay netted results. I got a bag of 100 (assorted colors) for fifty cents (+ $1.25 s/h). I assigned the colors based on type:
Type R's are red
Type G's are green
Type S's are yellow (saffron)
Type F's are pink (Fuscia)
I drilled small holes on them with a dremel tool and mounted them on thumb tacks.

The shuttles are cut from a 3/8-inch strip of Plastruct brand styene and the engines are small of 1/16-inch styrene rod. These were cut, sanded to shape, and glued to thumb tacks for bases.

I hope this information helps as well.
John Carter
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it really does, your website is what got me wondering about it. When I finally get some of the miniatures, I'm going all out!
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck and please post some of work when you get them done.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

markgeorgetwo: In response to your query concernig the colors on the Federation ships, I use nearly the same colors as on the others:

Base-coated with an air-brushed coat of Tamaiya Flat white
trim colors are:
CeramCoat brand - Cobalt Blue, Cyan, Night Black, Pewter Grey, Light Grey
Liqui-Tex brand - Laquer Red
Folk Art Brand - Pumpkin Orange
Citadel brand - Bad Moon Yellow, Mithril Silver
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 3:08 am    Post subject: creamcoat paints Reply with quote

Can i get these paints in the untied kingdom where i live or do i have to order them i know about the citdel paints in nearly every town in the uk there is a games workshop shop that carries them i have the adress aready of marc dutton for my decals.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: