Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Evasive Maneuvers proposal
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS wrote:
Well, it would be "Defensive Fire" (and the fire actually occurring in the Offensive Direct-Fire Phase just before EM go active) only if the drones were being held at range 1 in tractors. EM is declared at the END of the Defensive Fire Phase, so after you've used ADDs, any phasers, and tractors. So if those drones have impacted and you've held them in tractors and then you go evasive, they're going to hit and there's no defensive fire. OUCH.

Ah yes. Of course, the declaration is at the end of Defensive fire but doesn't take effect until after Direct Fire. You're right - ouch indeed!
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for finding that. I read the section and still missed the last exception.

The new RM rule will allow a force declaring EM to have one last shot in the offensive fire phase than it used to against seeking weapons. This may hurt the Klingons and Kzinti a bit.
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, if the enemy has drones in flight (maybe to try and deter you going into EM in the first place!) then you'll get one last shot before you do go to EM. Before the rules change, you could have done this in a different way by firing at the drones on the direct-fire phase of the impulse before you declare EM, but in a sense that requires more forward planning than doing it in the same impulse as you declare EM.

I wouldn't think this would hurt the Kzintis and Klingons too much though - you can just fire drones at the enemy after he's gone into EM as you can still target seeking weapons on an ship which is in EM. That might make him change his tune and drop out of EM to shoot the drones, or at least manuever such that he isn't hit by the drones before he can drop EM. This is a case where an emergency decel could come in handy - if you're about to be hit by a few drones (enough that you'd really rather not get hit by them, even if it means sacrificing the initiative) and are in EM, you could do an emergency decel so that you get defensive fire and tractor beams and such to use against those drones.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davec_24 wrote:
I wouldn't think this would hurt the Kzintis and Klingons too much though - you can just fire drones at the enemy after he's gone into EM as you can still target seeking weapons on an ship which is in EM. That might make him change his tune and drop out of EM to shoot the drones, or at least manuever such that he isn't hit by the drones before he can drop EM. This is a case where an emergency decel could come in handy - if you're about to be hit by a few drones (enough that you'd really rather not get hit by them, even if it means sacrificing the initiative) and are in EM, you could do an emergency decel so that you get defensive fire and tractor beams and such to use against those drones.

That's the thing - once in EM, you're in it for at least 2 impulses, during which time drones will move 6 hexes and plasma will move 8. So he's gotta be sure when declaring EM that he's happy with that restriction, from which only an ED can rescue him.
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't hurt me at all. EM at close range against Kzintis is just asking for a full drone launch Twisted Evil

OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DNordeen wrote:
Doesn't hurt me at all. EM at close range against Kzintis is just asking for a full drone launch Twisted Evil

Um...why as Kzintis are you at close range? Isn't it normally you who is trying to dodge the Feds or Hydrans at that range?

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGOPTIMUS wrote:
Um...why as Kzintis are you at close range? Isn't it normally you who is trying to dodge the Feds or Hydrans at that range?

Yes and no. The Kzintis definitely want to keep the range open under normal circumstances. But since Kzintis (and Klingons) can fire all of their weapons every turn there will probably be circumstances in which their enemies are still reloading the heavy weapons and the Kzintis have the opportunity to make a close range pass with only a weak response from the other side.
DNordeen
Commander

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you are correct. I usually am not that close. I was just sticking with the circumstances we were discussing...i.e., If as a Kzinti player my opponent got closer than he wanted to and went EM, it would not be a problem for me because

1) He can't shoot me
2) He's drone bait now

I wasn't really focusing in on what possible reasons I could have for being there. Of course, if he needs an emergency EM, the reason iss probably bad for him and good for me.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: