Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drones and Photons.. a little tactical help?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Captain Rufus
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Drones and Photons.. a little tactical help? Reply with quote

Ok. So far in our games of Federation Commander it has primarily been Kzinti (me) vs Federation (my friend).

(Note we play Fleet Scale exclusively.)

So far I have noticed that VERY few drones ever hit. If any. If the ADDs don't get em, Phaser 3s do. How do I ensure a couple hits outside of building forces comprised of nothing but Frigate hordes?

And now on to Photons. So far my friend's tactics is to charge at me turn 1 with his preloaded Photons, fire overloads as close as possible, and its basically become "If Photons mostly hit, Federation has won, if Photons mostly miss, Kzinti has won".

This seems kinda dumb. Are their some tactics I can show him so he won't turn the game into Turn 1 Impulse 8, Turn 2 Impulse 1 Overload Alpha Strike Charges?

I was thinking personally about 7-9 hex shooting with P1s and Disruptors, then either HETing or Evasive Maneuvers depending on exactly how much power I have left and timing issues. (Still learning the various rules of the game. We add a little more every time we play. Plus the Communiques and this forum are helping show where we misunderstood the rules.)

I would be happy hearing pro Fed or pro Kzin strategies that make the charge a less useful thing.
MikePowers
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you playing multi-ship battles or single-ship duels? If it's the latter then you really need to be using Squadron Scale. The only single-ship duels that are really balanced are Squadron Scale Heavy Cruisers (Gorn/Kzin/Klingon Battlecruiser, Rom Firehawk/KR/King Eagle).

As for drones...sometimes I've found that drones can work as close assault weapons. Remember that if you launch a drone that hits before the next Launch Phase, then the other guy can't launch a counter-drone at it. And if multiple drones Impact on the same Impulse, ADD can only engage one of them (and ADD can't engage Tractored drones at all.)
MikePowers
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another thought: Don't be afraid to "finesse" your drones. You're allowed to maneuver drones to "lead" their targets, or to split up a drone "stack" into separate hexes. Remember that as long as the drone moves closer if possible (and never moves further away) and keeps the target in FA, then anything is legal.
SABEL
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADD can not be used on a tractored drone? I thought that your ADD could hit a drone that you have held (IE tractored).

As for tactics make up a scenerio or play one from the books. I was in a game against two feds teaching one of them how to play. We set up a "cripled" ship on the far side of the map half way between the groups (Federation and myself Klingons) then started. The Cripple Ship was a frigate with no warp or impulse power (freak accident damage all the boxes) Smile we both "heard" the call for help and came to "check it out" it was a very nice little event with 2 ships on each side and the Frigate (shared by the Fed side repairing). This may change how both of you plan other than destroy the other guy style (even though it still happens).

To "target" Twisted Evil your question on Drones, The tactic of lanching at impulse 8 then impulse 1 gives your target alot to worry about in a short span. Kzinti do not have alot of fire power but some of the ships can lanch multi drones in a turn that makes them rough to handle. Feds overloaded photons have shorter range so if you can keep move in and stay away then you have a better chance.

Good luck to you both.

Sean
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2006 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADDs can only be used on a drone on the impulse it has impacted. During defensive fire, tractors are used after the ADD gets a chance to fire. So basically, the ADD only gets to shoot once per "wave" of drones that impact. (A "wave" of drones being all the drones that impact on a given impulse).

You can get more use out of the ADD by increasing the number of "waves" of drones, by maneuvering so that only a few impact per impulse (if they are split in different hexes), or using tractors to hold some drones at range 1 while the rest impact. The tractor trick needs high speed and clever maneuver, but can be done.
Whiplash
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does tend to be a big coin flip when fighting Fed ships. Its probably the most annoying thing about Feds. It can reduce skill to a minimum.

However, you should try to never let the Fed have range 4 (or even 5) when he has full phasers. Try to whittle down shields with one or more blasts of disruptor overloads before you do have to engage. Don't forget to use suicides, if you can, to help overload his drone/seeking defense.

Be happy if no drones ever hit, but you managed to make him shoot nearly all his phasers at the drones. Your alpha strike will be equal to or better than his if he has no phasers to shoot at you. Kzinti wants range 1-2, to make all those phaser-3s effective.
markgeorgetwo
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: tatics photons Reply with quote

Make things intreasting and give the klingons photon torpedoes Twisted Evil and give them a taste of there own medicine Wink they do not like it belive me
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't treat drones as the Fed player treats his Photons. They are different and should be used differently. Use drones to (1) force him to turn off or expend energy to stop them and to (2) deliver a parting shot on a downed shield. In FedCom (especially in Fleet scale) you can't drone swarm with a single ship. Sad

If the Fed is coming at you on turn 1 with his Photons powered up, you know that he doesn't have any battery (he had to give these up to get the pre-game arming for the Photons). This means he's running at lower power - less power to do other things. If he comes at you fast, his power reserves will be even lower. In this case, stay outside of overload range and snipe with your phasers and disruptors. Try to spread your shots out over multiple volleys, but have enough in each volley to do at least 12 points of damage (shield leakage is your friend). If he gets too close, fling out your drones and drop a Suicide Shuttle. Then turn off and go evasive.

The nice thing about the SS is it doesn't go away after a while. It will keep plugging away and can become a real nuisance to navigation. Federation ships wallow like pigs in the mud (Turn mode D) so anything that commits him to a turn other than to bring his photons to bear is a good thing.

If you can get him to fire his photons out of overload range, great follow after him and hammer him with your disruptors. If he holds them over the turn, he's still using power, so repeat the above tactic.

When you drop a Fed shield, send your drones towards it - this will make him turn more often. Also, if you've got him toothless (i.e. no readied photons), close in and paste him with your disruptors and phasers then launch a drone or two to discourage pursuit.

A Federation ship is dangerous when he's got his photons loaded, stay away. Sniping is a good thing. Basically, you want to emulate the Klingon Saber dance but use your extra drones to force the Fed to choose between burning power or turning away.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

\quote{but have enough in each volley to do at least 12 points of damage }

10 points. Shield reinforcement does not affect the leakage threshold. If the volley is 10 points or larger, you score leakage.

Leakage is only your friend at Fleet scale, IMO. At squadron scale, it gets repaired too fast.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen. Preach on Brother Terry.
I can not remember a single, squadron scale game where the outcome was decided by shield burn-through. Almost always hits a lab or a hull and if thats the only thing damaged, even a frigate can repair that at the end of the turn.
Terry is correct, though. 10 points is the threshhold. Reinforcement diesn't factor into the equation in preventing shield burn through. A 10 point volley, with 2 batteries still generates 7 disabled shield boxes and 1 burn through point.
jmt
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

terryoc wrote:

10 points. Shield reinforcement does not affect the leakage threshold. If the volley is 10 points or larger, you score leakage.

Wow - I've been playing that wrong.

Embarassed

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sniping to achieve shield burn through can be effective if directed weapons targeting is called. Even if that weapon is repaired at the end of that turn, it may not have been able to fire at you on that turn.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: