Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lengthening linear web with Web Casters

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Lengthening linear web with Web Casters Reply with quote

In THOLIAN ATTACK, rules 4Q3a and 4Q3b seem to state indirectlly that you may not extend normal linear web with cast web. That is, placing normal (anchored) web with a Caster must initially stand alone.

I'm confused on this matter due to the clause in 4Q3b : "A Cast Web Segment cannot join two strands...." There is nothing after this about whether or not you may extend linear web from an end anchor with Cast Web if you are not attempting to join strands.

And it seems an inconsistent prohibition to not permit bridging two strands with a Caster if it's perfectly legal to do it with conventional laid Web.

May I please have some feedback on this matter?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Lengthening linear web with Web Casters Reply with quote

missmatronic wrote:

I'm confused on this matter due to the clause in 4Q3b : "A Cast Web Segment cannot join two strands...." There is nothing after this about whether or not you may extend linear web from an end anchor with Cast Web if you are not attempting to join strands.

You didn't go far enough with your quote: "...(or opposite ends of the same strand) as that would violate (4Q3a) which prohibits casting web into a hex containing an existing web"

If you cast a web into 4 hexes between two asteroids and use those asteroids as anchors - then you can reinforce or extend the web at a later point. You can not however cast a web into one of those asteroid hexes to extend the web. You cannot even cast a web into a hex adjacent to one of the end points. See paragraph 4 of (4Q3a)
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "asteroid" can that be replaced by "any valid anchor point", correct?

A more simple way to ask the question would be , may I add on to an established linear web with a Web Caster, yes or no? I would think the answer would be no in most or all cases. If no, then is there ANY exception you may be aware of. Thanks for the reply ScoutDad.
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, I was aware the quote got cut short and of the subsequent text, but it seems strange to say that you can't link two strands without saying whether or not you can add on to a terminating, or end anchor on one end of a strand. It just seems to me a wee bit more explanation is wanting. Thanks again.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

missmatronic wrote:
When you say "asteroid" can that be replaced by "any valid anchor point", correct?

Yes
missmatronic wrote:
A more simple way to ask the question would be , may I add on to an established linear web with a Web Caster, yes or no? I would think the answer would be no in most or all cases. If no, then is there ANY exception you may be aware of. Thanks for the reply ScoutDad.

No.
No exceptions that I am aware of. Cast web can be lengthened, but you can not use cast web to lengthen another web strand.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'dad got it.

Cast web may not be adjacent to any other web hexes.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks to the both of you!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: