Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Border and Squadrons Boxes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bish
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:27 am    Post subject: Border and Squadrons Boxes Reply with quote

Hello all,

I recently discovered Federation Commander and I've got a copy of Romulan Border (I'm a Romulan fan) in the mail heading my way.

I'm also really looking forward to painting up some miniatures as well. I am a little confused however on how the Squadron and Border miniature box's work. My question, does the Border Box come with one of every ship from that particular release as well as the new ships in the boosters. So say I wanted to buy all the ships for Romulan Border does Border Box #3 have everything?

From what I've read the Booster are just extra ships along with one new ship. So since the Border Box says they match the Boosters I assume it's got all the ship miniatures plus the new ones.

Anyway I just wanted to double check before I placed my order.

Many thanks in advance. Very Happy

-bish
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I remember correctly Border boxes have one of each ship from each the boosters associated with each product (so for romulan border, border box 3 would contain the ships from boosters 7,8, and 9) there are three squadron boxes for each product as well. So to get all the ships from say Romulan Border you would need Squadron Boxes 7,8, and 9. If you buy the border box but now the boosters you will have a couple of ships without SSD's, but I don't think it matters much with Romulan attack as all the ships correlate to some variant in the main product. hope this helps.

saved
bish
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah very good, you did answer my question and I realize I read the descriptions on the website wrong. So the Border Box's are not just all the Squadron Box's collected into one box.

Thanks Smile

-bish
fairoaks024
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for asking that question Bish, (and your answer savedfromwhat!)
I'm new here too and was about to ask the very same question.

I just got romulan border and one of the border boxes that looked like it had a few roms, and was wondering what the difference was between squadron boxes and border boxes.

Thanks guys!

regards

jim
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The box sets are cheaper per figure than buying them piecemeal. Since I don't have a FLGS other than Hobbytown (which doesn't carry FC items) I do mail order.

I also bought 2 batches of the now defunct "factory seconds" and I was happy with the quality, my Romulan and Gorn fleets are fairly well stocked.

Winter is coming and I'll get more time to paint.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfury wrote:
...usually I'll buy from unlisted.com because they'll have the items in stock and the best overall price on what I'm getting.

I usually feel that web-discounters hurt ADB and the brick-and-mortar stores that keep the industry sustained. Personally, I always buy from my FLGS (since I'm lucky to have one) and do all my mail-orders from ADB. Not knocking those who don't, I just want ADB to be around for a long time.

bish wrote:
... So the Border Box's are not just all the Squadron Box's collected into one box.

Not quite correct. The Border boxes give you the duplicate copies you need to match all the ship cards you would have from a game box/expansion and it's boosters. For a completely full-set of miniatures, you'd need each Squadron Box and the Border Box. However, the Border Box also serves the purposes detailed above (super-cheap bulk buy of most if not all the ships in that set).

Last edited by djdood on Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Web-discounters hurt ADB and the brick-and-mortar stores that keep the industry sustained. I always buy from my FLGS (since I'm lucky to have one) and do all my mail-orders from ADB. I want ADB to be around for a long time.

While this may be true, some of us aren't so lucky. If you don't have a game store that stocks FC anywhere near you then you're limited to buying online, which is better than nothing because ADb get a sale and at least some games shop somewhere makes some money. It's a shame there aren't more local games stores around over here - there are some in the big cities, but nowhere I can get to easily enough to do it that way.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davec_24 wrote:
Quote:
Web-discounters hurt ADB and the brick-and-mortar stores that keep the industry sustained. I always buy from my FLGS (since I'm lucky to have one) and do all my mail-orders from ADB. I want ADB to be around for a long time.

While this may be true, some of us aren't so lucky. If you don't have a game store that stocks FC anywhere near you then you're limited to buying online, which is better than nothing because ADb get a sale and at least some games shop somewhere makes some money. It's a shame there aren't more local games stores around over here - there are some in the big cities, but nowhere I can get to easily enough to do it that way.

Just to clarify: I live in the SF Bay Area. There are game stores around (Gator Games, D&J Hobby, Endgame, Game Kastle) and I'm pretty sure some of them carry ADB products. My problems is that any of them is at least a 30 min drive or more from where I live. It's not that I don't want to support my FLGS (Scenario Game and Hobby, RIP) it's that I don't have one close so do mail order. ADB does make money even if I don't order directly from them and like most gamers I have time/money constraints that prevent me from getting everything I want.
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfury wrote:
It's not that I don't want to support my FLGS (Scenario Game and Hobby, RIP)...

Amen to that. I miss that store.

I'm also in the same boat, the closest store carrying ADB products is at least 30 min from me, so I tend to just do all my shopping with ADB. They get more cash since there's no middle man, and that makes sure they're off working on more great stuff for all of us! Very Happy

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would tend to belive that web-discounters may help ADB. Web-discounters may actually provide ADB with access to customers they may not normally reach through advetisment. Also, web-discounters may allow an individual to make a larger $ amount purchase than ordering directly from ADB. For example if a customer can only spend $15 on a product. the customer can now order more ADB products from the web-discounter than he/she could if they ordered direct, keeping the customer happy (which may increase sales in the long run) and increasing sales for ADB. In other words, the web-discounter would be paying ADB for two of Product A instead of one whereas the customer would only pay for one of Product A because of limited funds. Now I am not sure what the profit difference is for ADB between selling their products to the web-discounter or the direct customer, but I am pretty sure they are not giving their products to the web-discounter. Overall, by allowing a customer access to their products through a web-discounter, they may actually be increasing their profits.

Now when it comes to a brick and mortar store it is a different story. The sad thing is that brick and mortar stores are directly influenced by the web-discounters, which has led some of them to change what they present to their customers on the shelves (card games, 40k, clicks or what ever is the latest fad). It has also led the brick and mortar stores to become more competitive in variety of ways such as direct service and knowledge.

I usually order directly from ADB, that way I get exactly what I want and usually a little suprise (bookmark) Very Happy . Ocassionally I will trade and I sometimes order from my FLGS depending on how patient I can be. My favorite FLGS is a little different from most in that it is more of a meeting place than a store. It is owned by a group of friends that operate the store after their work hours and offer a gaming place first and a place to order products second. Not quite like a club, but kind of. They sell enough cards to keep operating, but I highly doubt that they are profitable. Great crowd.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I had gotten in on the factory seconds band wagon, I need more Gorn Sad (...and everything else Very Happy )
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Savedfromwhat wrote:
I wish I had gotten in on the factory seconds band wagon, I need more Gorn Sad (...and everything else Very Happy )

Why, when I see a post regarding a fondness for Gorns that uses a lot of smileys do I get a nostalgic twinge for the legacy board? Wink
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHEM....

It is a violaion of board rules to talk about web discounters.

They are SCUM and hurt the industry. They do NOTHING for ADB or for the industry. They cause local stores to close. If you miss your local store, blame the web discounters.

It is utter nonsense to say that discounters help ADB by reaching customers we do not reach. That's just nuts. Customers who want the product know where ADB is.

If anybody sees a message listing the name or website of a web discounter, let me know (email: design@StarFleetGames.com) and I will come delete their post and slap their wrist.
malleman
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SVC,

I sincerely appologize to you.

M Alleman
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it's worth... my nearest ADB outlet is about 40 minutes away. I manage a trek [no pun intended Wink ] about once a month. He doesn't stock much in the way of ADB stuff, but I can call him up a week or so before the planned trek and give him the SKU numbers of the minis / boosters that I want and he'll order them for me to pick up. I also let the other members of our group know in advance of my planned trips. Between us, it's typically $100 or so in orders every couple of months. It's not enough to offset the cardboard crack-heads / EuroGames crowd / 'cliky stuff / GW fanatic purchases, but every little bit helps to keep him in business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: