Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notice form Starfighter Decals. Please read!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Notice form Starfighter Decals. Please read! Reply with quote

Dear Customers,

The Starfighter Decals web store is approaching its first year anniversary. After looking at the sales figures, it is with a heavy heart I am going to discontinue most of the Star Fleet Battles decal sets. Most of the line experienced little or no sales in the past 50 weeks. Only the Federation ships, Federation Commander Squadron, and Fleet Boxes have enjoyed anything close to steady sales. I am also going to discontinue customizing the Federation ship names. Starfighter Decals line of 1/144, 1/72, and US Navy Air wing decals, and resin parts have experienced phenomenal growth during the same period. So this is where my energy is going to be concentrated. This means something has to give, and the slow sales items have to go. This means the Star Fleet Universe Decals.

In two weeks I will be discontinuing to following decal sets: All Klingon, Romulan, Kzinti, Gorn, Hydran, Lyran, Tholian, WYN, Juggernaught, and Orion sets. The following Federation sets will be discontinued: POL, BATS, CVN Carrier Group, BB, DNL/DNH, DN Combat Circle Option, DNG, SCS/CVA, CV(O), CX, CVF/CVS, GSC/CF, DD/SC, “Old” NCL, and “Old” FF markings. Also being removed form the list are the 2 Cruiser box sets.

I am going to continue supporting the Federation Commander line as long as sales justify it. With FC:Distant Kingdoms on the horizon, almost all of the races in the SFU will be represented and I will consider making the decal sets to match if demand warrants it.

I will no longer accept any custom decal orders for SFU ships unless you want to pay the $50 per hour charge my other customers pay along with the 4 to 6 month wait that goes along with it.

It was a lot of fun developing this line of decals for my fellow SFB fans, but economic realities, my business, and most important of all, my family comes first. To keep the bills paid and have time for my family, SFU decals becomes the odd man out.

Thank you again to all who supported my business!

Mark Tutton
Starfighter Decals
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about this.
Looks like I better get off my keister and get that last big order in.
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Tutton will you still be supplying decal sheets for the Federation Commander squadron and Border boxes, I thought that is what you were saying but i wanted to double check. Also I am sorry to see such a great product go, your decals that I have ordered have been fantastic and have made my modeling experience much more fun.

Nick
OGOPTIMUS
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to email Mark about that, since he doesn't often check the boards.

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good call plus i could have been more specific. It looked like he was saying he would be coming out with decal sheets for future fedcom products, that was what i was wondering about. I'll let you know what he says.
bish
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's really too bad. I hate to see such nice transfers go away due to lack of sales. I hope the Fed Com transfers stay around at least a little while longer as I am just getting started and was planning to get some. I really like the Romulan transfers.

One idea perhaps worth mentioning would be to sell high quality pdf's of the Starfleet transfers from their website. They could then continue to make some money from their work without having to put in the time and resources. And those of us that are industrious could print out our own transfers. Just a thought.

-bish
Mazza
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is too bad as the SFU decals I have bought from Starfighter have been really top notch. I might have to order a bunch of Romulan ones before they disappear...
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Out of stock notices when ordering Reply with quote

A quick note, the inventory pages have been updated. For thoses who wanted those decals listed as Out of Stock, are now orderable.

Be aware, these orders will be filled, just not a quickly as in the past.
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Answers Reply with quote

bish wrote:
That's really too bad. I hate to see such nice transfers go away due to lack of sales. I hope the Fed Com transfers stay around at least a little while longer as I am just getting started and was planning to get some. I really like the Romulan transfers.

One idea perhaps worth mentioning would be to sell high quality pdf's of the Starfleet transfers from their website. They could then continue to make some money from their work without having to put in the time and resources. And those of us that are industrious could print out our own transfers. Just a thought.

-bish

The problem is bandwidth. I am not going to pay for the bandwidth to keep very slow selling items (0-2 over a year) when I need it for items that actually sell and "pay their own way" so to speak. So far, the FedCom Squadron and Border Boxes are selling somewhat. Sq Box 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 have only sold 2 or 3 sets in the time I have had them available. These are next on the block.

As for new sheets, I doubt it. The only items that sell start with Fed, Kling, or Rom. Personally, I love the Kzinti, Hydran and Lyran ships. But the sales just are not there to justify issuing sets to support the new Hydran and Lyran Distant Kingdom sets. I will have some for myself based on the art work that has been for sale over the past year, but re-formating it to Squadron and Border Boxes (and the weeks of time nessasary to do this) is in serious doubt. To give you some backround, only 1, yes 1 request was ever made for the Battleship Squadron Box, two for the Thol/Selt stuff, and none for the Orion stuff.

No demand+no sales=discontinuing.
SLBond
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dang!!! Sad The deadline is well outside of my budget window. Here I thought was an opportunity to actually produce some quality paint jobs with awesome decals. Sorry to see it go...hopefully someone can pick it up and carry it in the future. Crying or Very sad
SLBond
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Answers Reply with quote

Perhaps ADB can host it...they've already got a website up. I'd really hate to see these things go away.

Starfighter Decals wrote:
bish wrote:

-bish

The problem is bandwidth. I am not going to pay for the bandwidth to keep very slow selling items (0-2 over a year) when I need it for items that actually sell and "pay their own way" so to speak. So far, the FedCom Squadron and Border Boxes are selling somewhat. Sq Box 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 have only sold 2 or 3 sets in the time I have had them available. These are next on the block.

As for new sheets, I doubt it. The only items that sell start with Fed, Kling, or Rom. Personally, I love the Kzinti, Hydran and Lyran ships. But the sales just are not there to justify issuing sets to support the new Hydran and Lyran Distant Kingdom sets. I will have some for myself based on the art work that has been for sale over the past year, but re-formating it to Squadron and Border Boxes (and the weeks of time nessasary to do this) is in serious doubt. To give you some backround, only 1, yes 1 request was ever made for the Battleship Squadron Box, two for the Thol/Selt stuff, and none for the Orion stuff.

No demand+no sales=discontinuing.
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Answers Reply with quote

SLBond wrote:
Perhaps ADB can host it...they've already got a website up. I'd really hate to see these things go away.

[/quote]

Sorry, I'll never ask anything of the sort of SVC for many, many reasons.
bish
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well as I said I'm very sorry to see this happen. I'll be honest, It was seeing your decals just a couple weeks ago that initially got me interested in Federation Commander in the first place. I enjoy the gaming part, but I really love building and painting miniatures.

Unfortunately just like SLBond, I don't have the money right now to buy any decals before you take them down. I recently spent what I had on the game itself. I guess it's a good thing I didn't buy any miniatures yet. But still very sad to see this happen.

Good luck with your future products.

-bish
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice form Starfighter Decals. Please read! Reply with quote

Guys -

Please read Mark's post a little more thoroughly.

Starfighter Decals wrote:
I am going to continue supporting the Federation Commander line as long as sales justify it. With FC:Distant Kingdoms on the horizon, almost all of the races in the SFU will be represented and I will consider making the decal sets to match if demand warrants it.

If you are only interested in Federation Commander and it's associated miniatures (Squadron Boxes, etc.), then this won't affect you (at least not immediately).

Mark is discontinuing aspects of his business that cater directly to Star Fleet Battles. From my read, Mark intends to continue to provide the FedCom-tailored decal packages, but will be discontinuing the SFB-tailored packs and no longer doing custom work without a significant markup.

There are those of us who do minis for both FedCom and SFB, as well as doing lots of custom and client work. Mark changing his offerings is an impact to us. I'll be sad to see the options diminish, but that is how life (and business) go.

Unless you had your heart set on a particular name for your Federation ships, then you are most likely fine.
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice form Starfighter Decals. Please read! Reply with quote

And, it's not like ALL the Fed ship sets are going. Many are wuite similar and can be used on several ship types.

I'm also sorry to see so much of Mark's work go, and am putting in one more big decal order as well.

djdood wrote:
Unless you had your heart set on a particular name for your Federation ships, then you are most likely fine.

Boy am I glad I already finished the Fed 6th Fleet! Shocked

Newest Page | Newer Page | OLD Page
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: