Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Web Casters in Offensive Fire.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Web Casters in Offensive Fire. Reply with quote

Do you declare you are firing Cast Web at the same time as every other direct fire weapon or after standard damage dealing volleys? If so, that may mean that Web Casters are not exactly fired at the same moment as standard weaponry.

Ya see, today I played Tholians and during standard volleys I had taken a Drone hit, meaning I lost my WC, so me and the other fellas thought that I wouldnt be able to fire it even though I already declared it and payed for it, we made an on the spot decision that I couldnt fire it. Did we do the right thing???
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to follow up, we've been trying to make use of the impulse structure as lately revealed on the MITS cards. This implies that we may have done this correctly but im still not sure.
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Web Fist (I do hope I got that one right...) is a direct-fire weapon, then it most likely should be declared and executed as part of normal direct fire. If you declare and pay for it at the same time as phaser/disruptor (etc.) fire, then it should probably score damage at the same time as the other "direct fire" weapons. If it was a disruptor you had fired at the enemy and you took a "torp" hit from the enemy's fire, your disruptor has already fired and the damage would still be done, so I would have thought that the Web Caster would still do its damage if already declared and paid for.

This would be similar to how ESGs form part of the "me too" offensive fire phase "bidding" system when used in the "offensive burst" mode, and the damage they score on a given target is then added to the rest of the damage from your weapons and treated as the same volley, so I would have said that the offensive fire mode for Web Casters is done similarly.
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, but im not so sure. I do know that web fist is actually part of normal direct fire weapons, but i really don't use the fist. I should have strictly specified cast web strands. I really conceded this point due to being the Tholian "minority" in my group.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the case of both Web Casters and Web Fists, you can still fire it. Even though Web Casters cast web last in the process, it is still treated as "simultaneous", so you can still cast the web.

BTW, if you couldn't have cast it (which you can), you would not have had to pay for the energy, as that is only paid at the point of firing. So, you were twice screwed. Smile

Federation Commander Answer Guy
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha-HA!!! Son of a.... Well now I know, now I have to convince this stubborn old crusty Klingon of an old school SFB guy!!! Well, at least he's my best mentor!!!! You did me right Sir West!!!

PS. I still might have won, even though the Caster was "destroyed". Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: