Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Notice form Starfighter Decals. Please read!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bish
Ensign

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Notice form Starfighter Decals. Please read! Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
Guys -

Please read Mark's post a little more thoroughly.

Starfighter Decals wrote:
I am going to continue supporting the Federation Commander line as long as sales justify it. With FC:Distant Kingdoms on the horizon, almost all of the races in the SFU will be represented and I will consider making the decal sets to match if demand warrants it.

Unless you had your heart set on a particular name for your Federation ships, then you are most likely fine.

Maybe I'm misreading somehow, but the more recent post seems to say otherwise.

Starfighter Decals wrote:
So far, the FedCom Squadron and Border Boxes are selling somewhat. Sq Box 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, and 11 have only sold 2 or 3 sets in the time I have had them available. These are next on the block.

As for new sheets, I doubt it. The only items that sell start with Fed, Kling, or Rom. Personally, I love the Kzinti, Hydran and Lyran ships. But the sales just are not there to justify issuing sets to support the new Hydran and Lyran Distant Kingdom sets.

If I'm wrong then that will make me very happy.

I do apologize if I came off as just complaining, that really wasn't my intention, and it's not aimed at Mark, he needs to do what will keep him and his family going. But I did just spent a lot of money on the game in the past two weeks and one of the main things that got me excited about it is now going away before I have the chance to save more money to buy any. So I'm just voicing my disappointment. Really, I'm kicking myself because I should have bought the decals (and miniatures) before I bought the game and expansions since that miniatures were my main interest anyway. But that seemed a little backward at the time. Ah well hindsight is 20/20.

-bish
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While Mark is the main source (and most-complete, and best-researched) for SFU decals, he's not the only source for custom decals. There are other avenues to go down should Mark decide to leave SFU decals entirely.
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does seem odd that bandwidth would be the primary issue for him. Aren't the only things that bandwidth would involve are the images on his site? I'm kinda struggling to determine his actual costs here, considering the nature of the work.
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, to end some confusion hear.

1. I am not discontinuing the FedCom Decals. I pointed out the sets that are slow sellers. Unless sales pick up for those sets over the next year (Oct 2009) those too will be discontinued.

2. As pointed out by some others, many of the SFB sets are going away, not the Fed Com stuff. Many, many of the SFB stuff is duplicated in the FedCom line. Sales do not justify selling two differant branded items that are basically the same.

3. If customer requests are there, I will release FedCom Distant Kingdoms Squadron and Border Boxes. Based on past sales for Hydran and Lyran decal sets, I am not planning on it. Show me by requests that I should. Remember, Hydran and Lyrans are my favorites. Give me a reason to take the time to develop them. E-mail me with them, so I can keep track and not search forums to mesure interest or not.

4. Removing non-selling items releases more time to focus on what sells.

Look, producing decals for the SFU miniatures was a labor of love. Believe it or not, I have minis that go back to 1983 That's before some of you guys were born. When the technonolgy finally reached a level where I could design and print decals for my miniature collection, I did so. I answered the call from SVC 4-5 years ago for someone to produce decals, as I had a nice head start. Customers responded by buying what I was offering, and asked for more. Many of you folks actually helped with your input and suggestions. While it seems the market for SFB decals has been tapped out, FedCom branded stuff still sells enough to justify keeping it available on my web store. However, sales for my other products, started after selling decals for the SFU, has exploded. And my interest has been reduced in the SFU because of the actions of a select few. So something has to give, and this is it.

Last edited by Starfighter Decals on Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vanguard wrote:
It does seem odd that bandwidth would be the primary issue for him. Aren't the only things that bandwidth would involve are the images on his site? I'm kinda struggling to determine his actual costs here, considering the nature of the work.

I need that bandwidth(I.E. room for pictures) for future products that I have 100's of request for. That bandwith is being taken up by photos of poor or non-selling items. Unless you are volunteering to pay to keep these images up, they have to go.
Savedfromwhat
Commander

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Tutton ,
Thank you for clearing that up for me. Again love your decals.

Nick
SLBond
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto...thanks for the update, Mr. Tutton. Muchly appreciate the clarification on what will be available...at least that gives me a year to stock up! Wink Pity I only recently started collecting SFB miniatures...it's the only reason I'm back in the game, and your decals were the clincher!

Here's hoping there'll be a resurgence in demand! Very Happy And certainly, if you should choose to extend the deadline, I'm sure you'll see an upswing in orders Wink
bish
Ensign

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't get a chance to long on until today, thanks so much for clarifying, and as soon as my funds are replenished I look forward to doing some business with you. Very Happy

-bish
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen up, everybody. I'm out of Decal Paper I use to make Fed Decals. Only God knows when I'll get more in. Could be 5 days,could be a month. Either way, it's going to be a while. You can still place your orders as I have some open stock, but any custom orders will have to wait.

Again, before ordering make sure you check the FAQ before ordering. If you are asking for stuff that is non-standard. Like 4 digit Hull numbers for a 3 digit class (I.e. FF, DW, HDW or DD) and you get it and it dosen't look right, too bad.
Vanguard
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm seriously struggling here... both HobbyTown USA and Hobby Lobby sell decal print sheets. Are you unable to purchase more from lack of funds? Is that the problem?
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Get real, Vanguard... Reply with quote

Vanguard wrote:
Okay, I'm seriously struggling here... both HobbyTown USA and Hobby Lobby sell decal print sheets. Are you unable to purchase more from lack of funds? Is that the problem?

I'm sorry, but when someone pitches a soft ball, I have to smack it...

I'm pretty sure you are correct. I owned a Hobby shop for 10 years , and 10 months running a Hobbytown USA. So I know of which I speak. There are 2 differant types of Decal paper sold by those type of stores. Testors Brand and Decafix (sold under Detail Master, Walthers, and other store brand names). The Testors paper is designed for Inkjet Printers. Totaly useless for decal production. It's OK for home use if you have the skill and patients to make it work. The Decafix Paper is usually sold in packs of 4 or singles, Gloss or matt finish, and retails for $4.99 for a single sheet up to $12.99 for a 4 pack. I use to drive up to 2 hours to 3-4 differant hobby shops in a 4 state area (VA, MD, PA, and WV) buying it up when I first started 4 years ago. If I was lucky, I would bring home 20 sheets, but usually 6-12. Customer feedback was varried as the quality of the Decafix is pretty inconsistant. So after some searching on-line I found a supplier that offered a good price with wonderful quality. Very Thin decal film, blue backed paper (so white would show up), and about 1/4 of the price of the Decafix paper. The problem with the supplier is he is very undependable on shipping times. I would place an order on Monday, and I might get it Friday, the following Monday, two weeks later, or twice, 6 weeks later and the last straw, "I forgot". He d*mn sure didn't forget to charge my CCard! So I switched to another supplier recommended by fellow decal maker. Using this new companies paper had 1 catch, it dosen't work very well with the printer I use to print Fed Decals (along with other decals in my line). I had to use the great, but undependible decal paper from Supplier 1.

Today, I am down to 1 sheet. Like usual, Supplier 1 won't answer his phone, or answer e-mails. So I have no idea when this guy will ship the paper. I have pleanty for eveything else. Now I could go out and see if i can find Decafix paper over the remaining 2 hobby shops in the 4 state region. If I am lucky, I'll bring home 12 sheets of paper. But then I would have to charge $20-$30 PER SET of Fed Decals, and I know you won't like that. Gas isn't $1.50 any more. I don't have 2 hours to drive to Hobby shops, when I can earn $50 to $75 an hour doing custom work for customers. Alps carts have quadrupled in price since 2003, and the cost per sheet of decal paper hasn't gone down either.

So if your panties are that bunched up about a possible delay, too bad! I don't have to take the time out of my schedule to do this. I could have just dropped them of the cart, and said "too bad, so sad. You didn't order them for the Year I made them available on my web site, or the 2 years prior advertising hear and other gaming sites, so why should I give you a chance now?" be like the others, and be thankful for the oppurtunity. It's the ungrateful folks like you that have taken my enjoyment out of producing SFU decals.

So next time, instead of shooting off like that, get the facts straight. I go thru 200 sheets of decal paper a month, that makes anywhere from 400 to 1000 decal sets to sell. How far do you think the 4-12 sheets I might find at the Train Store 2 hours away, and Hobbytown USA 1 hour away will go? $60 of gas, $30 of decals minus 2 hours of work time comes to $190. Are you willing to spend $190 for a decal set? Or would you rather wait a few days or weeks and get it for $10? Besides, if you waited this long to order the decals, you must not want them very badly.
Vanguard
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, I didn't understand the problem and wanted some clarification.

But, you know, if you want to personally attack me for asking a quesiton (when I clearly said I was struggling to understand what was up), that's fine - but it's a lousy way to get people to buy your product.
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just try these guys?

http://www.mcgpaper.com/decalpro.html

Good product and reliable service.

There's really no need to overreact to our questions. Maybe we just wanted to
help out and offer some advice. I'm sure that Vanguard just wanted to figure out
why things were the way they were...and, the way he asked it wasn't overly
combative or offensive. I think he just wanted to know.

I was curious too, he just asked the question first.

I'm sorry your profit margins weren't working out for you. Really. It's sad to see
business fall through. But always telling possible future clients "too bad" or
"tough luck" doesn't bode well for you or your returning customers.

UPFY
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have suspended most decal sales until Thursday or Friday. Only the Federation Commander sets will continue to be available. Sorry. Place your orders for the SFB stuff then.
Starfighter Decals
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rick Smith wrote:
Why not just try these guys?

http://www.mcgpaper.com/decalpro.html

Good product and reliable service.

There's really no need to overreact to our questions. Maybe we just wanted to
help out and offer some advice. I'm sure that Vanguard just wanted to figure out
why things were the way they were...and, the way he asked it wasn't overly
combative or offensive. I think he just wanted to know.

I was curious too, he just asked the question first.

I'm sorry your profit margins weren't working out for you. Really. It's sad to see
business fall through. But always telling possible future clients "too bad" or
"tough luck" doesn't bode well for you or your returning customers.

I tried them years ago.

Problem 1. Decal paper is too thick.

Problem 2. Varrying quality. I actually got a batch without the release glue!

Problem 3. Particles in the decal film. That will kill an Alps printer faster than dropping it.

I don't suffer fools gladly. I should know better than feed a troll, but making assumptions about my business take me for zero to peed off in less than a second. I don't mind someone asking a question. I welcome them. But when one makes assumptions and speculates openly like that, I will respond.

Statements like, "Okay, I'm seriously struggling here... both HobbyTown USA and Hobby Lobby sell decal print sheets." makes an assumption that I don't know those places sell decals paper and those places are even close by. If one was really curious, just ask why is the paper is not available. Not making an assumption and speculating.

This one really got my goat:

"Are you unable to purchase more from lack of funds? Is that the problem?"

Huh? What kind of statement is this to ask publicly? More speculating and close to slander.

You don't find this question loaded as well?

"It does seem odd that bandwidth would be the primary issue for him. Aren't the only things that bandwidth would involve are the images on his site? I'm kinda struggling to determine his actual costs here, considering the nature of the work."

More ignorance. If you really want to know, I'll gladly answer. But making it seem like it takes me very little time to do what I do, is down right insulting.

Rick, I learned a very long time ago that folks that make statements like that usually are not customers.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: