Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two Plasma Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Two Plasma Questions Reply with quote

Question #1

I played Gorns today and decided not to add any energy to an S-torp on the 3rd turn of arming. Do I need to pay a holding cost at all, I assume that I do not. I also assume that the saved energy will not dissipate until I've reached F or greater status if I decide to pay the holding cost at the appropriate time.

Question #2

What firing arcs do carronades use? The Bolting arc or the Launching arc? I think its the bolting arc but I'm not sure.

Thanks gang.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding question #1 - if you don't pay the energy for the third turn of arming (of any torpedo that the launcher is allowed to arm), then you lose the torpedo. You can't 'skip' paying for a turn, nor can you pay the second turn energy cost (which is something that you can do in SFB). So at the start of the third turn, the torpedo needs to at least be an 'F' torpedo or you lose all of the energy that you spent on the first two turns.
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Junior for the to the point reply!!! Do you happen to know the specific clause # for that one??
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junior is right about question #1. Can't give you a specific rule number because I don't have the book with me.

#2, pretty sure it's the bolt arc because a carronade is a special kind of plasma bolt.
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the rule references:

(4J2a) says "If energy is applied on the first turn and not the second, the energy allocated on the first turn is lost and arming can begin again on the next turn. If energy is allocated on the first and second turn, but not the third, the energy allocated is lost and arming can begin again on the next turn."

As for Plasma carronades, (4J4b) says under the section headed "Step 1": "The target must be within fixe hexes range of the firing ship (Carronades ignore the +4 hex cloak bonus) and must be within the Bolt Firing Arc of the launcher."
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey D24 thank you!!!

I read the rules a lot., but I lose something In my train of focus. Its great to be pointed to the right direction.!!!!
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, sometimes it's easy to forget just *where* you read something in the rulebook and/or errata so a pointer to the right part can be handy. Smile
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about Caronades. I thought I remember reading something about this before (but I can't find the topic), but I heard that Caronades are pretty devestating against Fighters. Is this rule in Romulan/Klingon Boarders rulebook, or is it in Distant Kingdoms?

If they are devestating to Fighters, can someone explain why?
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Althought I could be wrong, I don't think there is a particular rule about Plasma Carronades engaging or being devastating against fighters/shuttlecraft. As far as I know, these are engaged in the same way in which starships are engaged (this is mostly the case in FC with other weapons also).

I think the idea that Carroandes are deadly against fighters probably comes from the guaranteed damage out to range 5 (i.e. before the Stinger's effective range), where in combination with a single Ph-1 a carronade stands a good chance of crippling the target and thus disabling its fusion beams, even with only a single point of energy in the Carronade, and you can guarantee it with 3 points in the Carronade. That, or maybe it was particularly good in SFB (did it ignore the attack shift against fighters in SFB or something?).
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything said about the Carronade being devistating against fighters were just a tactical comments. There is nothing in the Carronade rules that does something specific against fighters.

The rule is in the main rulebook (Rev4 KB; Rev0 RB).

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Rules Questions All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: