Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Border and Squadrons Boxes
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

junior wrote:
(an added bonus with FedCom is that there are recognizeable ships on the cover)

Not sure that a Fed BC is a recognisable ship, at least not in the classic sense. It looks something like the CA, for sure, but the warp pylons are 'bent funny'. The C7 on KB's cover is not too different from the D7, at least to the uninitiated, but I wouldn't say the ships are necessarily recognisable as such.

However, there's still the Rom WB on RB's cover.....
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
Not sure that a Fed BC is a recognisable ship, at least not in the classic sense. It looks something like the CA, for sure, but the warp pylons are 'bent funny'. The C7 on KB's cover is not too different from the D7, at least to the uninitiated, but I wouldn't say the ships are necessarily recognisable as such.

However, there's still the Rom WB on RB's cover.....

Although I would say the ships you do see on FC covers still look enough like the "TV ships" to interest anybody who might be interested in the game because of the TV series - they are still clearly Fed/Klingon ships on the covers even if they aren't the ones you see on TV.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree. My casually-interested friends didn't know they weren't the "tv ships" until I explained why they weren't.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough. No, they're not unlike the TV ships, they're just not exactly the same.

Pedantry..... Wink
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2008 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And "why" aren't they TV ships?

Seriously, guys, we do TV ships on covers all the time. The Fed CA is on the cover of Basic Set, and I think it's on Academy.

But with 2000 ships in the game we don't see much point in ONLY using the four ships seen on TV.

I keep seeing people patiently explaining to their friends why we "cannot" do TV ships and then look at the TV ships on my covers and wonder what the heck they're talking about.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These will be on the cart shortly.

HYDRAN MINIATURES
Gendarme 0939

ORION MINIATURES
Double Raider 0814
Slaver 0805

GENERAL MINIATURES
Commercial Platform 0129

ORION ATTACK
Squadron Box 22, 4322
Squadron Box 23, 4323
Squadron Box 24, 4324

CAPTAIN'S LOG
Captain's Log #38, 5738
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
And "why" aren't they TV ships?

Seriously, guys, we do TV ships on covers all the time. The Fed CA is on the cover of Basic Set, and I think it's on Academy.

But with 2000 ships in the game we don't see much point in ONLY using the four ships seen on TV.

I keep seeing people patiently explaining to their friends why we "cannot" do TV ships and then look at the TV ships on my covers and wonder what the heck they're talking about.

I was sure I'd seen a proper "TV" CA on a cover somewhere... Smile
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Worse that even web retailers it seems, some players don't even buy from stores. I've heard of player groups posing as stores and simply do bulk orders to get large orders at wholesaler prices or whatnot. I know whoever supplied my FLGS with his Flames of War Battlefront miniatures, requested that the store owner take a picture of his place to prove it was a "brick and mortar" store. Though, unfortunately that store is currently out of business since the building owner decided he would jack the rent up. Hope he finds a new place to open up soon.

And speaking of web retailers. What the hell is with eBay? It seems like the place is less an auction site than a store front for every Tom, Dick and Harry. I search for some figs, or whatnot, and most of them are "buy it now" because it's not even an auction.

But anyway, as it happens I'm heading out right now to the FLGS. Pick up a Booster or two, assuming the place carries FC.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul B wrote:
Worse that even web retailers it seems, some players don't even buy from stores. I've heard of player groups posing as stores and simply do bulk orders to get large orders at wholesaler prices or whatnot. I know whoever supplied my FLGS with his Flames of War Battlefront miniatures, requested that the store owner take a picture of his place to prove it was a "brick and mortar" store. Though, unfortunately that store is currently out of business since the building owner decided he would jack the rent up. Hope he finds a new place to open up soon.

And speaking of web retailers. What the hell is with eBay? It seems like the place is less an auction site than a store front for every Tom, Dick and Harry. I search for some figs, or whatnot, and most of them are "buy it now" because it's not even an auction.

But anyway, as it happens I'm heading out right now to the FLGS. Pick up a Booster or two, assuming the place carries FC.

In my area there are a few FLGS but none that are close enough to go to.

As for eBay: it does seem to be nothing but people using it as an additional storefront for items, I don't see as much "auction" stuff for sale. Maybe that's why they laid a bunch of people off recently.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starfury wrote:

Hey that's understandable and I don't think anyone would fault you for buying things through alternate channels.

Quote:

As for eBay: it does seem to be nothing but people using it as an additional storefront for items, I don't see as much "auction" stuff for sale. Maybe that's why they laid a bunch of people off recently.

Worse yet, I used to get all this spam mail from eBay (until I turned it off) about how there are all these "great low prices on eBay" and I'm like "you're a freaking auction site, not a store".

Though if your FLGS is out of the way, sometimes it's worthwhile to just go once in a while to get large order once a year or what not. I just got back from the store I headed to and came back with twice as many boosters and I'd planned to get. But it's an hour on transit both ways so I justify it that way Laughing
Bolo_MK_XL
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Same here, do the ebay thing (but only for bulk auctions, 10 or more minis, 3 or more rule additions etc) --
For individual items, I just email my order to ADB, with Priority Mail I normally get it back within 3 days --- Less expensive in the long run than ebay, don't have to wait a week for auction to end ---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: