Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who, if anyone, wants a FC: Early Years module?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Who, if anyone, wants a FC: Early Years module? Reply with quote

Hi.

I was wondering if any of the regulars here, aside from card-carrying Y-era fans like myself, had any interest in seeing the Early Years - as currently portrayed in SFB Modules Y1 and Y2 - into the FC system?

To those who are unfamiliar with it, the Early Years modules introduce what, in essence, is the Star Fleet Universe's equivalent to the kind of era shown in Star Trek: Enterprise.

(Though, of course, with no NX-01 in this setting...)

Covering the era stretching from the dawn of tactical warp-powered starships (the W-era of ships) to the first generation of purpose-built warp-powered vessels (the Y-era) and ending just as the 'modern' era takes over, the Early Years shows a variety of key elements of the Alpha Octant's history.

From the rise of Star Fleet (at a time when one can still see Terran, Vulcan, Andorian and other 'racial' ships in service, and when the saucer-and-nacelle vessels were only beginning to emerge) to the emergence of the Tholian Holdfast (and the great war the Klingons fought to try and counter this)...

From the wars fought by the Paravians (who only exist in the 'modern' era over in the distant Omega Octant, but were a major threat in this older era) and the Carnivons (a canine species related to the Kzintis and Lyrans - all of whom hated each other, literally like cats and dogs!) to the union of five rival factions into the Inter-Stellar Concordium (which by no means became the peaceful and powerful union it is known as in the 'modern' era overnight... and, indeed, was tantamount to a separate setting altogether prior to 2560!)...

From the time when the Lyrans were as likely to fight the Klingons as anyone else, and when the Kzintis first waged war on the Federation...

...there's a lot to explore.

Plus, many of the ships in the Y-era live on in the 'modern' setting - through a set of refits that turned YCAs and others into LCAs (or in the case of the Feds, GCAs) that served as local defence units while the newer-generation ships went off to war.

So, how many - if any - of you would like to see this era (or, at least, the refitted National Guard/Local Defence legacies of it) appear in FC?
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Master, I am your first fanatical follower! Thats all I can think about. I'm down with that 100%. Vintage Craft. A Passion and a Possession!!
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd much prefer the current GW-era completed first. There is still a lot left with the ISC, Andros, etc.

Side note: This is my first web posting from my couch, via my Nintendo Wii's browser. Very cool.
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can wait patiently for this but my desire shall not wane. Never fear, the Gen War background is the primary thrust of production.
Suppressed UFP Intelligence: - Holdfast - catalyst - undeniable and disturbing - organic? - phenomena - rank- psych observation - analysis sound- sentiments - as a "zoo" -concept- boundary overrun- another web- unrestriced and unseen for now-
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My primary interest has always been the time period just before the beginnings of the GW, but after the Fed Star Fleet was established, i.e. the time period just prior to and encompassing ST:TOS.

I mentioned this same thing a long time ago and was told something to the effect, "Why would anyone want to play FedCom with ships that are inferior to the GW era ships?"

Well, duh! If a timeline was incorporated into it, perhaps they would.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Early Era ships add more flavor to the game. I would love to see a timeline and ships from the Early time period made available.
masteroftroy
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

djdood wrote:
I'd much prefer the current GW-era completed first. There is still a lot left with the ISC, Andros, etc.

Side note: This is my first web posting from my couch, via my Nintendo Wii's browser. Very cool.

I second the part about completing the current time line...Wii web browser sounds cool!!
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally don't think adding a "time line" to Federation Commander is a good idea. I like the "timeless" aspect to Federation Commander, and do not want to see that compromised.

That said, I would very much like to see both an "Early Years" series and a "Middle Years" series. However, I don't think they should be presented in a true "timeline" manner. Instead, I believe they should be presented as individual "settings".

The other reason I want to avoid "timelines" like a plague is for Romulans in the Middle Years. If we do real timelines, then Romulans are sublight. BOR-ING. If I don't do timelines, then I can pick and choose the ships I want to use from the Y135 - Y160 SFB timeframe, and mix and match as needed to get what I want. So, if I include some Y160-Y165 Romulans, fine. No one will care, since there is no "timeline", only a setting, which is broadly defined as "Middle Years".

Early Years is even easier, as its set of ships are fairly well isolated. Again, no "timeline", just a set of ships available in that specific "setting".

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am cool with settings. In our local Games we have divided up the ships into 4 settings. Early Era, Pre-War Era, General-War Era, and Late Era. This way if a scenario designer wants to set a peticular era, they can. If they dotn want to, they dont have to.

We have yet to get to converting the early years ships however, so that era is kinda empty Smile
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I hope to make some EY rules for Captain's Log 39. The actual EY rules themselves is really, really short. However, the complicated part will be the weapons, and how many to include.

Then the reader can just use the Project-Z rules from Captain's Log 37 to use the SSDs from Y1 and Y2.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind seeing early era ships in FC, though I am another who would prefer the current (General War era) set of ships to be finished off before these are added.

I don't think adding early years ships to FC would necessitate a timeline to be put into the game, as you could just agree to use old ships or set the scenario such that only "early years" ships can be used. In a way, this is already done for the "early General War" scenarios involving ships like the Fed CL, which would usually not get chosen if players had free choice of ships - a similar system could be used for "early years" stuff.
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also feel I would rather see the current GW ships and race finished off before any serious effort gets put into a "Early Years" setting. I think it would be cool but as has been said something neds to make these Ship Cards different from GW Era Cards maybe something as simple as a Big "Y" or "W" next to the Card Number.

But lets not think to hard on that till we have Andros, Vudar, ISC, Jindarians and maybe the occasions "Ancient Empier Raiders Twisted Evil (The GW Refitted ones SVC mentioned once)" from the Paravians and Carnivores. Then worry if we are going to go Early Years or XShips Laughing

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Sir Drake
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally would have to have way more disposable income before I bought an early years or x ships product. It just dosn't float my boat. But I hope after ADB gets all the other races done that they will turn one out for the people that want one.
From the Movie ZULU
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike, I like the "Settings" idea instead of a timeline. Grouping ships together within "eras" seems like a good idea.

And I'm patient. I can wait for all these other ships these other fellas want. Besides, ADB has to sell more products to keep the cash flowing.
jeffery smith
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: who if any wants an fc: early years module Reply with quote

i am all for this , a middle years, x tech, etc.....

i see djdood has a new cool toy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: