Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Border Madness
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Border Madness Reply with quote

I've been grabbing the Communiques I've missed of late, and noticed in #28 that there's a Federation Scout under some Border Madness heading. Are there rules available for this? I realize the ship is intended more for SFB players than FC but was wondering if there were actually rules for the ship or if players just use the SFB ones or something.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Special Sensors rules are in one of the recent issues of Captains Log - #35, I think, although I'd need to double check that.
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the "scout" rules are on pages 14 and 15 of Communique # 28.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scout rules are actually in both. So, you are both right. Smile

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scoutdad wrote:
Actually, the "scout" rules are on pages 14 and 15 of Communique # 28.

Doh, how'd I miss that. Thanks.

EDIT - oh, I know how I missed it. I was looking at 29 with the Survey Cruiser. Not 28. Very Happy Either way I see the rules now. Not too complicated.
Magnum357
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I was very greatful they included the rules for scout channels too. Not too complicated and can easily plug into the system of Fed commander. Scout ships are very critical in campaign games.
Kang
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked the Klingon expanded firing arcs in CL#38.

The only thing is, if the Klingons get their expanded arcs, then the Fed CA hulls should also get the ability to fire into the hex row directly behind the ship, like they too had in SFB.

What do you guys think?
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That wouldn't be a bad thing to add. Maybe Steve will be able to include it in a later Borders of Madness article that has a little space at the end of it.

(BTW, I did ask, but there wasn't room this time.)

Federation Commander Answer Guy
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Count me in on the "for rear firing fed phasers" list. Wink
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so long as the Gorn don't suddenly end up losing the ability to fire their 360 phasers down the hex row directly behind the ship...

Wink
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kang wrote:
I liked the Klingon expanded firing arcs in CL#38.

The only thing is, if the Klingons get their expanded arcs, then the Fed CA hulls should also get the ability to fire into the hex row directly behind the ship, like they too had in SFB.

What do you guys think?

Eh, what phasers are these? The port/stbd phasers on the saucer? Why a phaser be able to fire perpendicular to its emitter's normal angle anyway?
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In SFB, the Port / Starboard phasers (even though the arcs are L/LF and RF/R - respectively) on the Federation CA, CA+, CAR, CAR+, CC, etc can fire down the single row of hexes directly behind the ship.

I'm not near my books, os I can't check the R-section from SFB, but IIRC it was explained as such:
These phasers would normally have a LS / RS arc (respectively) based on their locations on the saucer, but the warp engines effectively blocked most of the rear arcs (with the aforementioned exception).

This is why the BC and the later ships had the lower profile on the Warp Engines. It freed the firing arcs, allowing a true RS / LS arc.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup. The warp engines on the Fed CA (and other ships using the same hull) block the phasers through the rear arcs. And there's a nice little gap between the engines that the phasers can use to fire straight behind the ship. The "true" arc through which the phaser emitters on the port and starboard can fire (when not blocked by pesky warp engines) are 180 degrees, as is the case with the FH phasers mounted in the front of the saucer section.

For a similar reason, Gorn ships in SFB are unable to fire the 360 phasers (the ones mounted in the center of the hull) directly behind the ship. The warp engines block that particular firing arc. The phasers mounted in the wings and rear bubble can still fire into that arc, however.

Basically, think of a phaser emitter as a sphere that can fire in any direction. Then attach it to the warship that it's mounted on. It can fire in any direction that's not blocked by the warship itself. We see that with the various 360 degree phasers that are on some ships, such as the aforementioned hull phasers on many Gorn warships. Since the Federation CA has its phasers mounted in the saucer, there's an unrestricted 180 arc for the phasers - except where the warp engines interfere.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'd think that these great futuristic engineers would design their ships so that all their weapons could fire/launch in all directions. They seem like the same types who would design a free-wheeling roller coaster with a hill higher than the first drop.

Another way to look at it is with the 3D view. How hard would it really be for a Fed CA to tilt its front end up or down a few degrees so that those primary hull phasers could fire rearward? I know we're talking about a 2D game here, but come on!
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The whole 'engines block LOS' is a 2D thing, with a bit of roll you could bring all your phasers to shoot LS/RS. It always amused me that multiple opposing ships always had the same up/down orientation, which doesn't really make much sense to me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: