Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who, if anyone, wants a FC: Early Years module?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kor
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

then to quote a federation captain, make it so. I have no problem using paper SSDs of D4s, Warbirds, and Fed CLs with our current counters for EY games. The same goes for pre-war SSDs of our current ships.[/i]
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I really hope that isn't just an offer for these two modules...
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
If you tell me you'd be happy with paper SSDs (not in color, not laminated) and using the counters you have now, Leanna would schedule both products for the spring in a heartbeat.

That is exactly what I was hoping for.

For Middle Years, it would likely be just a couple pages of introduction, and as many ship cards as you are willing to put into it. (I can give you the base list if you want it.)

For Early Years, it would require more rules (to cover the various weapons and systems), and then as many ship cards as you are willing to put into it.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve Cole wrote:
Laminated ship cards and die cut counters are expensive and must be bought in huge quantities. I'm not convinced that there is enough market for early or middle years to spend the money. I don't need to print 1,000 copies of something and sell 73 copies.

If you tell me you'd be happy with paper SSDs (not in color, not laminated) and using the counters you have now, Leanna would schedule both products for the spring in a heartbeat.

Actually, after thinking about it for a few minutes, this doesn't really have to be the case for the Early Years.

For the Early Years, could we package it with, of course, paper ship cards, but then include the counters from Y1 and Y2?

In other words, can we take the SFB Module Y1, replace the SFB rules with FC rules, replace the SFB SSDs with paper FC ship cards, but then use the existing Module Y1 counters? Then do the same thing with Module Y2?

That way you are making better use of the Y1 and Y2 counters that you already have.

pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Ideas all. I am very excited to think you guys might be adding this stuff. If there is any way I can help let me know!
KJ
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy an EY product as SVC detailed above, even sans counters - provided it didn't cause any major delays in releasing products already scheduled for next year.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way, Mike, I suggested a couple of potential options to the MY ship list over at the discus boards - basically just a few L- (for Local Despoilment?) editions of the older Orion pirate ships (akin to the L-ification of several YCAs seen in Module R8).

(Also, did you get that other message I sent you recently?)
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
By the way, Mike, I suggested a couple of potential options to the MY ship list over at the discus boards - basically just a few L- (for Local Despoilment?) editions of the older Orion pirate ships (akin to the L-ification of several YCAs seen in Module R8).

When making my list of ships, I was intentionally avoiding any R8 style ships, or ships based on EY ships. I wanted to keep the first pass as "clean" as possible.

I also avoided all "early Middle Years" ships (e.g. D6C), too. To start, I was intentionally just sticking with MY versions of existing ships to increase the "counter correspondence".

Quote:
(Also, did you get that other message I sent you recently?)

Yes, I just haven't had a chance to respond.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Nerroth wrote:

When making my list of ships, I was intentionally avoiding any R8 style ships, or ships based on EY ships. I wanted to keep the first pass as "clean" as possible.

I also avoided all "early Middle Years" ships (e.g. D6C), too. To start, I was intentionally just sticking with MY versions of existing ships to increase the "counter correspondence".

While that may be fair enough for most factions' L-ships, I would still say that the Romulans, at least (and the Orions, for that matter) would have good reasons for their consideration.

Quote:
Yes, I just haven't had a chance to respond.

Ok - sorry if I'm being impatient.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
While that may be fair enough for most factions' L-ships, I would still say that the Romulans, at least (and the Orions, for that matter) would have good reasons for their consideration.

I would like to keep this topic focused on the Early Years discussion.

Let's take any discussions on Middle Years over to the Middle Years topic.

Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok.

So, would it be better to focus more on the Y-era fleets for each faction, and then go into the W-era ships, or something else?

(In the case of, say, the early ISC, the choice would be between doing the unified two-prong ships first - along with what, if any, other Y-era ships which may be done for the pre-contact Concordium - then do the W-era Five Planets' ships later, or doing them the other way around... or maybe even having all of them together in an ISC-themed module?)
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was serious. Leanna would LOVE me to submit products to her which are printed on the Kyoceras and require no laminated cards or counters. She'll sign off on those in a second.

Easiest way would be to do them as part of the "Briefing" series. 64 pages gives you tons of pages for ships, scenarios, and rules. If early years requires more, do two of them.

Briefings #2 is scheduled for February and nobody has a clue what is going to be in it. It could be early years or middle years.

Mike's idea to use the Y2 countersheets isn't that workable, or necessary. Players want one inch counters, and they can't have them. (Well, if we sell 2,000 copies of the earl years briefing, we can talk.) You can buy the Y1 and Y2 sheets as spare parts.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if that could be a means of eventually bringing other settings, such as the Omega Octant and Lesser Magellanic Cloud, to the game system...
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leanna has approved the idea of doing briefings books for Early Years, Middle Years, Magellanics, Omega, and possibly Borders of Madness (and presumably more than one book of some of those due to the number of ships). She will consider ways that color might become available, such as having short runs of color copies made, buying a color printer, or selling color PDfs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: