Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Middle Years idea
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple hundred emails later and there go the sales for that book...
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject: middle years idea Reply with quote

b&w or color does not matter to me, you can always color them yourself. i would buy this module in any form svc choose's to present it in.(no matter how long the wait!) Twisted Evil
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DD, DDG, DDL, DDM are all good for Booster 91 but not for Middle Years. No Franz J ship or variant of it can be in MY.

I don't think that the "code" idea is workable. Somebody gets the PDF file and uploads it and the cat is out of the bag and sales are over. Worse, somebody posts the code and we don't get ANY sales at all. Color PDFs would be a product with some value and couldn't be allowed to escape without us making something on it.

I personally like the idea of picking a price and a number and saying "when that number of people pay that price, we will send everybody who paid the money a copy of the color PDF".

I don't know that there is much point in ISC Middle Years ships.

Still debating in our own minds if the "settings books" would be part of the briefing series, or a separate series, and if they would all be one size (and what size that would be) or if each could be a different size. We would need a strategic plan (and no, Gary, We do not have to write that play TODAY, nor is it even possible to do so) such as "work up a total list of every middle years ship we might ever want to print, see how many that is, and decide if it's enough to support one, two, three or more products, then figure out how many and what's in each one.

Personally, I am liking the 96-page $20 book idea, but that's just me.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also - since Y2 has the B4, and FC is a little looser with the distinctions between conjectural and constructed ships, maybe a Klingon B6 (referred to in passing in the B4's R-section) could be added to the mix?
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leanna has approved Briefing #2 Middle Years, 96 pages, SKU 4022, $19.95, for release in February.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth wrote:
[M]aybe a Klingon B6 (referred to in passing in the B4's R-section) could be added to the mix?

I am game with that. I am already trying to get one "new" ship into the mix; I have no problem with getting a second in.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news about Briefing #2 being about Middle Years!

It absolutely ought to contain at least one scenario featuring Kzinti vs. Federation to represent the time when they were enemies. Also, Klingon vs. Lyran, too.

I'm assuming there will be an article or story or something that will give detailed explanation of the various political situations among the various known powers at the time...
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has there been a scenario for FedComm such as The First of Its Kind featuring the first (and undergunned) Federation dreadnought?
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we get the scenario about the first meeting between the Feds and Gorn? Don't know if that was middle or early years though...
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
It absolutely ought to contain at least one scenario featuring Kzinti vs. Federation to represent the time when they were enemies. Also, Klingon vs. Lyran, too.

I was under the impression that the Klingons and Lyrans had been more or less 'allies of convenience' against their other two neighbors since back during the original conquest of the Hydran Kingdom. That would pre-date Middle Years by a significant margin.

Quote:
Can we get the scenario about the first meeting between the Feds and Gorn? Don't know if that was middle or early years though...

There is no scenario for it.

Now I'm not saying anything definite here because there are all sorts of legal things that I have no real understanding of, but there's this episode of Star Trek called 'The Arena' that you might want to see...

The first actual battle that I'm aware of (and since I just KNOW that someone is going to bring it up, not including possible time-travelling Federation Cruisers running into sub-light Gorn ships - don't ask) that involved a Federation warship and a Gorn warship is depicted in the scenario "Refiner's Fire", which is already available for FedCom.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="junior"]
Mike wrote:

Quote:

There is no scenario for it.

Now I'm not saying anything definite here because there are all sorts of legal things that I have no real understanding of, but there's this episode of Star Trek called 'The Arena' that you might want to see...

I doubt there would be much of a scenario anyway. Fed CA pursues Gorn . . .BC? or something at progressively faster speeds until both are stopped dead in space. Beyond a preliminary exchange there was no battle.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Lyrans and Klingons would be allies of convenience, but that doesn't stop the odd skirmish or two caused by the impinged honour of some minor noble or no...

...plus there is the matter of skirmishes with the LDR post-Vandha.

(And even then, the Coalition didn't really bed down properly until the time of the Four Powers War, at least.)
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gorn and Feds met in the Middle Years.

TOS/TAS too place in the Middle Years.

The Klingons and Lyrans had pretty much settled into their cooperative relationship before the end of the Middle Years. There was no "Coalition", but the Klingons and Lyrans were allies.

The Feds fought wars with both the Klingons and Kzintis during the Middle Years.

The Hydrans fought their War of Return against the Klingons and Lyrans in the Middle Years.

The Four Powers War happens at the very end of the Middle Years. In many ways, the Four Powers War serves transition between the Middle Years and Federation Commander's default setting.

Since we are going to include warp capable Romulans, another fertile area for scenarios is between the emergent Romulans and the Gorns and Federation.

One thing I would like to see in this module is a page or two on published scenarios and how to convert them to use for the middle years. The Refiner's Fire is an excellent example of one such scenario.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mjwest wrote:
Since we are going to include warp capable Romulans, another fertile area for scenarios is between the emergent Romulans and the Gorns and Federation.

And, if there is room for them in the final analysis, the Concordium - with scenarios such as R7's (SH203.0) Of Things to Come, and a potential scenario covering the defeat of a Romulan force by an ISC squadron in 2569.

(Since many of the ships posted to what became the Romulan-ISC border were either older hulls or ones upgraded more slowly than others, they would have been exposed to the kind of events which would be part of Fed and Empire's WIP Historical scenario for ISC War.)
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nerroth, Just trying to keep this on point but it seems like SVC is saying this will be the Breifing 2 release in Febuary and War and Peace is slated for Fall I don't really see much point in includuing ISC content except as Flavor Text to allow lead in to War and Peace or a future Breifing products.

Sorry man I respect you fanaticism for all things Omega, Magnetic, or ISCish but they are not out yet and I think we need to stay focused on what is. Sad

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: