Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Omega sector take II
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drones have effect in fedcom, and I find them very useful, all I am saying is, they are less effective in fedcom then they are in sfb.
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pneumonic81 wrote:
drones have effect in fedcom, and I find them very useful, all I am saying is, they are less effective in fedcom then they are in sfb.

I'll agree with that very easily.

The fact that every drone launched is fully identified at launch (since there is only one type) gives the target lot more time to plot his defense.

And that is the very reason I think the TM should be as customizable as possible while keeping it as simple as possible.

Even given that the missile will be identified immediately on launch it will be much more challenging to deal with.

Think about it, you could easily have several missiles with different warheads, speeds and armor closing in at once. How are you going to cope with them? If the decision to keep the negative tractor option is made this gets even more frightening.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but in fedcom, you cant complicate rules. The best bet is to pre-design 3 types of drones. One thats heavy on speed and defenses, on thats heavy on damage, and one thats middle of the road. then people take what they want without having to design the drone before the game or explain all the space allocation during game setup.

it doesnt fit fedcom to do those kinds of things. Its better to say "i am using mark2 super-drones today on my cruiser" and be done with it. simple, effective, immediatly playable.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't having different types of TM exactly opposite of the drone rules as they stand? Are TM more customizable than your average drone loadout in SFB? And if not, why would they retain custom traits in FC while drones are given only one variety in FC. Seems to me the simplest way to handle the TM is to simply make them drones but with different stats.
Though I might be off base as I know little about SFB, and next to nothing about Omega.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know little of omega, I have the expansion. The omega seeking missles are very customizable compared to normal drones. Drones in FC come in one flavor, 12 damage, speed 24. there is provision for speed 32 in some cases. thats it.

The omega sector missle weapons could be more flavorful by giving them 3 types to choose from, those types would vary in speed, damage and durability. This would retain some of the flavor of the wepaons custmizability without making it overly complex. Letting people customize 12 space drones is going to add alot to the game time in fedcom, which is supposed to be fast play. Letting people simply pick the missle type is faster and still pretty effective in conveying that these weapons are different from drones.
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow the thread suddenly took off.

After abit more thought I do think that it may be simpler to offer a few pre-built missiles as options, rather than the whole build your own mostly to keep it KISS as possible.

For the base missile I would go for something along the the lines of

Speed 24, Endurance 3, Armour 8 and warhead 20.

So its bigger and tougher than a Standard drone.

Maybe do one Armoured Drone

Speed 24, Endurance 3, Armour 12 or 16, Warhead 12. (Would be a pain to kill this thing)

One Warhead Drone.

Speed 24, Endurance 3, Armour 6 or 4, Warhead 28.

Gives a taste of the varity but keeps things nice and simple.

Another point of intrest is if we keep the limited rate of fire rules from Omega. In SFB all TM launchers are in pairs and only one missile can be fired per turn form each pair, which helps A) Keep the number of Missiles on the board at once down. B) Balance the power of the TM's.

Form my own point of view I would probably keep it, its not hard to track and is part of the flavor of the Maesrons.

Related to this is how the repair rules work should a repair rule allow you to reload the TM rack like it works with drones? (I lean to yes on this one) and would it just load base TM's? Or re-do the load the player chose?
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd be inclined to think being able to customize the load at each reload might be too much.

I would probably go with getting a new set of the pre-selected load out.

On the other hand...

Letting different missiles be selected with each reload might be a good way to represent the flexibility of the missiles without actually going into detailed construction.
Paul B
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always go the way of the Federation Drone rack and give pre-defined numbers of each type per load.
DrFaustus
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh I see I manged to mess up what I ment.

What I had ment is that when a TM launcher/rack is reloaded should the player get a reload of what was already in the rack. (so if he had 3 Armoured missiles, he gets a new set of Armoured)

Or should he just get the base version of the missile as reloads.

One thing I was thinking of in relation to this is since the TM launchers come in pairs and can only fire one missile from each in turn. Its pretty easy to always keep them loaded with missiles (Just repair the one that is not firing in that turn). Where as for a Drone using ship its a bit more of a choice if to reload or not.
DKeith2011
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DrFaustus wrote:
Ahh I see I manged to mess up what I ment.

What I had ment is that when a TM launcher/rack is reloaded should the player get a reload of what was already in the rack. (so if he had 3 Armoured missiles, he gets a new set of Armoured)

Simplest but I don't like it, seems too limiting.

Quote:
Or should he just get the base version of the missile as reloads.

The problem is that there is no base version of the missile.

Quote:
One thing I was thinking of in relation to this is since the TM launchers come in pairs and can only fire one missile from each in turn. Its pretty easy to always keep them loaded with missiles (Just repair the one that is not firing in that turn). Where as for a Drone using ship its a bit more of a choice if to reload or not.

That's an option only if the ship in question has the repair capability to fully repair the rack in one turn. But it's a consideration.
pneumonic81
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the way fedcom works now, if you upgrade the missles as fast, the reloads are fast.

thus maesron missles should be the same.
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran through a quick conversion of Omega rules for FC for my own amusement (perhaps I ought to get out more...). I went for the option the Pneumonic81 chose, namely a selection of pre-customised TMs, one of which had a huge warhead, one of which was really fast, and one of which was heavily armoured.

As for reloading, I'd stick with the principle given in the TM rules, namely that they can't be reloaded during the scenario; (OFD1.14) refers.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did just post those glorious omega faction emblems that Richard Smith did.
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

(I'd love to see a few variants of those Maesron and FRA symbols!)

Just to note - the Ymatrian logo has the Qixa blurb underneath it...
Rick Smith
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man. Sorry about that typo guys! Steve, I sent you new updated versions. Hopefully I didn't miss anything else!!! Embarassed

I'm glad you're already getting some use out of the FRA emblem Nerroth.

UPFY
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: