Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Old castings VS new castings.
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures
View previous topic :: View next topic  

has the quality of some SFB miniatures declined over the years?
yes, the old ones were better.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
no, the new ones are just as good as the old ones.
20%
 20%  [ 2 ]
Doesn’t really matter to me. I like the new ones just fine.
60%
 60%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 10

wrongway klingon
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After being hit with multipule drones it's usually the Kzintis who use me as confetti Embarassed
solariabsg25
Ensign

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Kzintis Reply with quote

When I got my Border Box through, I found that the forward drone pods and some of the nacelles had broken off some of the Kzinti Ships. I don't know if this is a problem with packaging so many ships in a box, real bargain but downside.

BUT a bit of superglue and patience, and they're sat intact proudly on my miniatures cabinet awaiting my undercoating and painting attention.

Bearing in mind the problems I'd had with the old Kzinti minis in the past, and that's with parts that started seperate, I found this a minor quibble.
Starfury
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the border box I got the Klingons have a few bent wings/necks on the ships but they're easily fixed. the other ships are all in exellent condition. I'm impressed that they can fit all the minis plus bases in a box that small.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was an issue with a small amount of production being done in a non-ductile metal mix. Most of these were pulled and sent back to be done over. A couple of dozen escaped and broke inside the boxes during shipping. If anybody has brittle-broken ships and it's an issue for you, contact me and I'll figure something out.
Mazza
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just painted up one of the new D7s and I don't know how anybody could describe that miniature as terrible. It's nice, solid, but sharp with strong lines which are good for highlighting. Its nacelles were a little bent during transit but this was easily fixed before I began, and since it was the only assembly which was required I'm not going to complain about that! Very Happy
toastie
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pulled out some minis I painted 20 years ago - a D7 painted as a KR, and the old F5 painted as a K5R. The detail has held up well over time, and I really can't tell the difference in detail between the ones I did 20 years ago and the minis I purchased in the last year.

Of recent releases, I really like the detail on the C7 and D5. I thought the detail on the D5W is a little soft. I really like the fact that Kzin ships only need to have a single warp engine glued on, instead of the 8 pieces they used to be. That is a huge plus.
Robert Knoke
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been a fan of "put something together so it don't break until your two year old picks it up!"

The new castigs are great! I too had some of the old FASA stuff, and hated how easy it was to come apart. Of course, I was just another cash strapped teenager waaaaay back then (note, just waaaaay back, not waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back). There are better adhesives these days.

Of course, when something does come apart... there is always the "Break it and you fix it" policy. Kids do get older, after all. They get to learn how to use tools (making them into useful members of society), and they get to stay out of trouble (because fixing all of Dad's broken minis takes time... sometimes a LOT of time).
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still prefer the boom on the old D-7, but I'm certainly happy to have a one-peice D-7.

I've found if I file the width of the "block" on the new mini's booms down a bit, they look just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Miniatures All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: