Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seltorian Tactics?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:52 am    Post subject: Seltorian Tactics? Reply with quote

Their Ships seem interesting, with the twice-firing Particle cannon. The Web braker is deadly to tholians too (I've played a tholian CA vs. Seletorian CA. My webs didn't last long Wink .) However, against other races, the sheild cracker is not nearly as effective. It would seem that the smartest Seletorian tactic would be to knock out enemy sheilds and then hit and run enemy weapons out of existence.

I want to know the bugs best tactics because I want to use them in my next battle. Is there anything else I missed? If you'd played the selts and know some good moves (pardon the expression, I just watched Kung Fu Panda), please let me know.
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hit an run is a valid tactic for the Seltorians.

Another option, depending on how many marine units they have, is to simply board them and try to capture the enemy ship.

But, yes, if the Seltorians are going to win, they need to remember their hordes of marine units and make use of them.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Nerroth
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to ask this before - but how much (if any) difference does it make for a Selt to fight a (neo-)Tholian under M81 Galaxy rules, compared to in the Alpha Octant?

For example, does taking on an NCA armed with disruptors make for a fairly different battle than one loaded with particle cannons, and so forth.
terryoc
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When flying Seltorians, remember that the 3-impulse delay between firings of the Particle Cannons also extends over game turns. So try to fire them by impulse 6 at the latest, or you won't have them ready to fire in impulse 1 of the next turn.
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Particle cannons and marines make them very interesting.

Their smaller ships in particular are very mean when it comes to boarding, the frigates, destroyers and light cruisers have abnormally high numbers of transorters for their size, which which lots of marines makes boarding a very viable tactic. The light cruiser has as many transporters as most dreadnaughts, and the marines to make use of them. After the light cruiser the boarding starts to become less one sided as the number of transporters don't increase, but boarding always remains useful. With large number of transporters hit and run can be more energy efficient than any other heavy weapon, and you get to aim at what you want.

The particle cannon is very similar in all aspects to the disrupter, and could be seen as the uber disrupter. It has identical damage/power at all ranges above 2, and is better damage/power at range 0,1 and 2. The disrupter has a slightly better damage/volley at all ranges, but the PC has a slightly better damage/turn at all ranges. Compared to all other weapons, the PC is arguably the top weapon at ranges 11-15, it will generally do more damage over time for less energy than other weapons. The problem there is that if the opponent realises that, then you will have a problem keeping at that range, as the one thing you are not is a klingon that can turn on a dime.

The shield cracker is a pretty decent weapon, I've seen a few comments in the past about how awful it looks, but it actually performs as well as most other heavy weapons, slightly worse at some points, slightly better at others. Whilst other weapons can overload at the range you will be usiing the cracker, they are not usually any better in terms of damage/energy. Using them is more likely to be down to having enough power as at that point you are probably wanting to fire everything.

The ideal scenario appears to be to find someone who will try and slug it out at the mid ranges, where your particle cannons and decent numbers of phaser 1's will probably put you ahead in the damage inflicted category. If you can down shields then your PCs have another advantage, they can fire 2 aimed volleys per turn, so strip out those weapons before closing to board.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These all sound like good tactics to me, thanks.

but do you think I should board or hit and run with my marines (generally speaking)
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinecone: It depends on the ship you're after. If it has fewer or close to even the number of boarding parties you can beam over, then go for the capture. Even at that, however, if it is still viable in combat, you might want to use H&R raids to disable certain weapons.
Mike
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those little Seltorians can be real buggers when it comes to hand-to-hand combat...
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks everyone. I didn't end up playing the selts this time, but the next time I get a chance I'll try.
missmatronic
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone, mike powers is pretty dangerous with Selts. Try contacting him you might get some great observations
Suppressed UFP Intelligence: - Holdfast - catalyst - undeniable and disturbing - organic? - phenomena - rank- psych observation - analysis sound- sentiments - as a "zoo" -concept- boundary overrun- another web- unrestriced and unseen for now-
rlbell
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

storeylf wrote:

The particle cannon is very similar in all aspects to the disrupter, and could be seen as the uber disrupter. It has identical damage/power at all ranges above 2, and is better damage/power at range 0,1 and 2. The disrupter has a slightly better damage/volley at all ranges, but the PC has a slightly better damage/turn at all ranges. Compared to all other weapons, the PC is arguably the top weapon at ranges 11-15, it will generally do more damage over time for less energy than other weapons. The problem there is that if the opponent realises that, then you will have a problem keeping at that range, as the one thing you are not is a klingon that can turn on a dime.

Am I the only one who noticed that particle cannons combine the damage of a disruptor with the accuracy of a photon torpedo? The second shot in a turn and the ability to hold off choosing whether to overload it, until fired, are the only things that make it a viable weapon. Now if it combined the damage of a photon with the accuracy of a disruptor, I wouldn't care if it only fired every other turn.

Does the FC particle cannon use a different firing chart than in SFB? Am I having a seniors' moment? I thought that PC's at 13-30 only hit on a 1, and even at 9-12 they only hit on 1-2. IIRC, that makes it very much an up close weapon (but not the 'in your face' that is fusion beams).
storeylf
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rlbell wrote:
storeylf wrote:

Am I the only one who noticed that particle cannons combine the damage of a disruptor with the accuracy of a photon torpedo? The second shot in a turn and the ability to hold off choosing whether to overload it, until fired, are the only things that make it a viable weapon. Now if it combined the damage of a photon with the accuracy of a disruptor, I wouldn't care if it only fired every other turn.

Does the FC particle cannon use a different firing chart than in SFB? Am I having a seniors' moment? I thought that PC's at 13-30 only hit on a 1, and even at 9-12 they only hit on 1-2. IIRC, that makes it very much an up close weapon (but not the 'in your face' that is fusion beams).

The reason you may be the only one to notice the 'accuracy of a photon' may be down to not looking at the actual damage chart. I have no idea what it was like in SFB (which is a different game), but in FC it is a lot better than you are saying. The particle cannon in FC never hits only on a 1 at any range (ignoring modifiers).
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The to-hit and damage tables for the Particle Cannon is identical between SFB and FC with two, very minor, exceptions:
- A normal load can hit at range zero.
- The last range bracket stops at 25 in FC, instead of 30.

So, the weapon is pretty much identical across systems.

Federation Commander Answer Guy
silent bob
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played seltorians last night against klingons and although I won I wasnt impressed with PCs that much. to get damage equal to a disruptor I was having to overload which costs me more and at alot of ranges was less accurate.
really have to get range 4 or less for best accuracy.

ship I was most impressed with out the 3 I used (frigate, destroyer, light cruiser) was the frigate. very nimble, loads of excess power, 3 batteries for boosting shields and plenty of phases if you get someone on the midline.
junior
Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've played one game that involved a Seltorian, and iirc it was me in a NCA against a Klingon D5W. I hammered the Klingon pretty thoroughly in that game.

Shield Breakers basically do as much damage over two turns as standard load photon torpedoes. Provided you can get two good firing opportunities every turn, Particle Cannons do decent damage. And those weapons are backed up by a solid suite of phaser-1s.

Admittedly I've only played the one game and only seen the Seltorian fly against one opponent. But at least in that case, the Seltorian seemed like a pretty solid ship.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> Tactics All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: