Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FC: Border Patrol, Campaign Supplement, Removed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebart
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: FC: Border Patrol, Campaign Supplement, Removed Reply with quote

Have to get rid of it, read the post by Steve Cole. Sorry.

Last edited by thebart on Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
PallidaMors
Commander

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a job well done...I know from experience how much work goes into something like this.
Carthaginian
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm... maybe the Fed's ability to overload photons for no extra cost is a bit too powerful? Especially in the face of no other race having a similar feature.

Maybe you could use half the required power for overloaded photons, disruptors & fusions; as a similar upgrade for plasma ships, perhaps being able to reduce last-turn arming energy by 2. For Drone ships, maybe a 'C-rack Refit,' allowing half the ship's drone racks to fire once every 4 impulses.

I like the layout and the economic systems, and the fact that it's a 'finished' document makes it excellent! Great work!
thebart
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise i need to update this because i forgot to include the starting parts on the galaxy map and other things.
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you really need to ask before doing that sort of "product".

Heck, we might have wanted to sell it and pay you money!
thebart
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to ask. Sad Do you want me to get rid of it?

Anyway do you like it?? Very Happy
Pinkfluffychicken
Lieutenant Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebart: Another campaign designer! Wow. That's veery pretty. Lots of issues with the detail (inevitably...Wink), but it's a heck of an achievement. Congrats.

Have you got players? You might want to check out the campaign thread, which is mostly Pallida's group but I try to keep our bunch represented.
Famous last words #11: "That's a very big fleet!"
thebart
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the complament Pinkfluffychicken! Smile

Anyway I am now trying to write a new chapter on empires and where everyone is on the Galaxy map and a fifth chapter on scenarios and voluntary retreats.

Patching up on some of the things that are over powerful like Photon Torpedo free overloads and I'm going to allow a new upgrade for the drone racks, and going to do something for Plasmas (come on I'm a romulan player Very Happy)
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few comments on such things as your "expansion" or "campaign supplement" or whatever you call it before others make the same mistakes.

1. You cannot do such things (at least, not for the amusement of anyone other than yourself) without permission from the guys who own the copyrights. (Your "product" is a "derivative work".) Not that hard to get if you ask first.

2. You should have contacted us first anyway since we might have been willing to market the product and pay you a design royalty.

3. You included art from various SFU products without permission, another copyright violation. Tsk Tsk.

4. Worst of all, you include Star Trek art that we are not licensed to use, which would result in Paramount sending us a nasty letter which we would have to pay a laywer to answer (even though we had nothing to do with your project).

Please delete the file, remove ALL of the art, and ask me for the necessary legal disclaimer before you repost an updated file. Design@StarFleetGames.com
thebart
Lieutenant JG

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:37 pm    Post subject: Sorry Reply with quote

Sorry for the problems.

I've removed the file and now removing all the problems.

Sorry if I have caused any problems. I feel really quilty now. I didn't know...
mjwest
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'bart,

Don't sweat it. Sometimes when you try to contribute, you get way ahead of yourself and you have to back up and clean up. The important part is not that you made a mistake, but that you responded to the information positively and were not defensive, but rather are trying to make it work right.

It is always important to ask first. But sometimes you don't *really* learn the lesson until you do it wrong. You learned it. There is nothing to feel guilty about.

The only ones that will get on and stay on Steve's [expletive deleted] list are those who get defensive, get hostile, and actively resist. That doesn't include you.

(Yes, I know this from personal experience. And I am still around and contributing. Smile )

Federation Commander Answer Guy
Steve Cole
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to work with well-meaning people who accidentally violate copyrights. Some people don't know, and even some who do push to see how far they can get.

The point is CREATIVITY. If you have a creative idea, I will find a way to get it published. (Unless you do something really creative with the Cardassians, or something else which I cannot legally print.)

If I don't herd the well-meaning people into the "safe" zone, then I cannot expect the deliberately misusing people to behave.

Nothing to apologize for (although western society seems to expect apologies as a normal course of things). Just replace the document with one that follows the rules so that we can all enjoy the creativity.

The history of my company is repleat, full of, festooned with, people who knowingly or unknowingly violated copyrights. I've tried to be nice and work with anyone who will work with me (although I have had to slap down a few people who just decided they were above the law). Some of the worst copyright violators in SFU history ended working for me and making money out of the deal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: