Federation Commander Forum Index Federation Commander
A NEW fast paced board game of starship combat!

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FC for kids?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cbrown119
Ensign

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: FC for kids? Reply with quote

Hi
I am brand new to this forum. YEARS ago I played SFB and have recently found out about FC, by accident.
My questions are:

Do you think, or have experience with, that an 8 year old can learn to play FC?

If not, what would you suggest? Do you think that SFBF would be more suitable?

Is there a set of "Kid rules" available for FC?

I have an old copy of SFB and recently looked at the rulebook, I don't even think I can teach him!

BTW, I ordered Klingon Border. So I am hoping FC will be good for him.

Thanks
Dal Downing
Commander

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cbrown,

Have you checked this out yet?

http://starfleetgames.com/federation/FCFirstMissions.pdf

It is about as basic as the rules can get for Federation Commander. I don't think it would really be that much harder than playing SFBF (a game which I love to play Razz ) It probably depends more on the personality of the child in question but I personally hope he likes it.

There use to be a Demo article featuring combat with a Space Amoeba (or what ever it is called) that was more of a solo game but taught the basics of the game in like 2 or 3 pages. Maybe someone else can remember the link for it? AH!! HA!! found it!!!!!

http://starfleetgames.com/documents/FC-SpaceAmoeba.pdf

"Which one of you is the Biggest, Baddest, Bootlicker of the bunch?"
"I am."
"ARCHERS!!! THAT ONE!!!!"
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Dal that the First Missions download would be a great starting point. I used it with my (adult, but non-gamer) newbies and it helped.

Definitely also reference the quick-start rules in the main FedCom rulebook.

I would say that if the child can handle chess (or other games that are a "step-up' from Chutes & Ladders) and has an interest in learning "Dad's space game" you can certainly teach them FedCom.

I have noticed that short-attention spans can making teaching difficult, both with adults (my iPhone-obessed friends) and with 'tweens (texting constantly).
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 11 year old daughter had no problem what so ever picking up the game. Where as my youngest (7yrs) would have no hope, and probably still won't when she is 11. As noted above, it really depends on the child - my eldest can be very focused and with a good attention span whereas my youngest is hopeless at concentrating.

The thing I liked about FC and playing with my daughter was that it is easy to balance things out without having to go easy and let them win, just give them a bigger ship, My daughter loves the extra big battleship cards with me in a cruiser Confused
cbrown119
Ensign

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the good suggestions. I never thought of balancing the scale with a mis-match of ship. Very good thought! We'll see when the game arrives.
Sllarr
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add that using a computer play aid can make things more accessible for kids and new players in general and definetly much more fun.
I wrote play aids using Excel where when you press the "Phaser" button ,for example , it randomly selects a number between 1 and 6 and highlights the result in a FC Phaser Damage Table while playing a phaser bank sound effect.
Have one aid for each race with specific sound effects and visual theme (fonts, art, etc).
I am working now on an animated Flash version that, I hope, will blow my kids away ...
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a really good idea Sllarr! Does it work out multiple results at once (like a whole pile of phaser dice for example), because that could be really useful for any FC/SFB game, even if it isn't necessary to keep the kids amused. Smile
Sllarr
Lieutenant SG

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davec_24 wrote:
Sounds like a really good idea Sllarr! Does it work out multiple results at once (like a whole pile of phaser dice for example), because that could be really useful for any FC/SFB game, even if it isn't necessary to keep the kids amused. Smile

Not as it is structured today, but it should not be that hard to implement.
[/img]
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm 12, and I get it well. Math has always been one of my best subjects in school, though.

I think it would also be helpful if he knew what Star Trek was, and enjoyed it. That's why I got into the game.
djdood
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pinecone - You must do well in English class too, as you write better than most 12 year olds I've known. I knew you were a young 'un from what you say, but you say it very well for your age. Keep up the studies and good work.
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to echo djdood's compliments, pinecone (and I've been teaching for almost 30 years). Keep up those studies! You're doing great with what you've learned!
Sneaky Scot
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a number of games with my son when he was 10 (he's now 11 and still plays with me). My 8-year old daughter also joined in a game, and was able to understand the basics, but she needed help to run her ship (which was fine).

Pinecone - I had also assumed you were much older than it turns out you actually are - good job!
Davec_24
Commander

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realise you were that young Pinecone - you write like someone a fair bit older. I knew you were "young" as people on here go (well... so am I by comparison to some but I'm 9 years older than you!), but I thought you were more like 16 or so. That's meant as a compliment to your English (well... "American" Wink) and also your general attitude, which is more mature and rational than I would have thought of your average 12 year old. Smile
Scoutdad
Commodore

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Dave's (and the rest) comments. After having raised 4 teen-agers of my own, I fekt confident that you were in the 15-year or so range. I'm surprised (and also pleased) to learn you're only 12.
pinecone
Fleet Captain

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I didn't expect that one sentence to spark such a conversation Shocked . Well, thanks everybody. Very Happy

djdood - Yes I do get good english grades (though Spanish is another story... Wink). Thanks again for the compliment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Federation Commander Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: